Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How large of a  QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine? >

How large of a QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine?

How large of a QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine?

Old 09-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

a large king-
i took a class at a lqs to learn how and did a twin for the first one- did a few at that size- then did one very very large one- before purchasing my long-arm-
it was a struggle at times- but came out good and was a definite----learning experience.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

I have a longarm now, but before that I mostly quilted in sections on my DSM. I could do kingsize quilts pretty easily that way.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:11 PM

anything bigger then 3 feet goes on my frame.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:31 PM

I have done a king size on my Janome 6600. Was a challenge but came out pretty darn nice. Quilting designs are pretty limited. Mostly stippling. I do start in the middle and worked out little by little the scrunching method. I have a huge desk that my husband designed so the bed of my machine is even with the desk top. Nice slick finish on the desk so everything moves quite easily. Takes lots of patience but the reward is worth it. The more I have done this the easier it gets. I wish to own a longarm some day so I can venture to bigger quilting designs, but at this point, I will do my best with what I have.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Originally Posted by cjomomma
I did an over sized king on my DSM. It wasn't easy but by golly I did it and it came out pretty good.
Join cjomomma doing this! The only way I accomplished this is to sit at the head of my machine like it was a long arm. That way both hands were free to maneuver the quilt. This is on a double bed, but see how long it drops, it's that long on each side of the bed....
Sitting at the head - what a great idea! It's creative people like you who have me addicted to this board. Smart, smart, smart.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:14 PM

For queen and king sized quilts on a domestic machine: Another thing to try is to divide the batting. You can do it in thirds, fmq the middle first, then baste the right side of the batt in place, fmq that, then do the left. It's a bit more work, but does reduce the weight.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:27 PM

I mostly do meandering, but I have usually do Cal Kings. The middle is the hardest, but once you get past that it is smooth sailing.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by PatchGirl
I have made a small baby quilt in the past that I only machine quilted by doing the stitch in the ditch with clear thread so all mistakes would not be pronounced, and it was difficult at best, trying to roll it up and maneuver it etc. I was wondering what the largest size quilt any of you have done on your machine? THere are probably tips and tricks I haven't learned yet that would make it easier or not? Or do you just opt to hand quilt or have it LA quilted etc?
I HAVE DONE ONLY 1 KING SIZE I HAVE NO DESIRE TO DO ANOTHER ONE THAT BIG 1 DONE IT FOR ME.I DID ONLY SID ON IT MOST OF MINE IS QUEEN OR BABY QIULTS OR MAYBE A THROW.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:56 AM

King size.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:57 AM

I've done twin sizes and smaller.Anything larger goes to a LA.