Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long should a cutting mat last? >

How long should a cutting mat last?

How long should a cutting mat last?

Old 07-17-2013, 05:52 AM

Don't know how long they should last but I know mine needs replacing. Got it at JoAnne's back in 2005 and it has lots of cuts in it. I picked up a rotating mat with a self-healing mat and I love it. Found a site that will cut to fit whatever size you want/need and its self-healing. They come in either with or without the markings. They will also send you the leftover pieces they cut off as they start with a certain size and cut down to whatever you ask them to. Hopefully this will be my last one.

Suz in Iowa
Old 07-17-2013, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

I've had mine 8 years but flip it around a lot. And now that I have the 12" mat that turns easily, it's less wear and tear on the bigger mat. Never heard of soaking them. After I get done using them, I wipe them off with a lint roller and microfiber rag to pick up any lint that ends up in the cutting lines. Makes a cleaner heal.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:33 AM

Although I've had fairly good luck with Olfa's lasting several years, I'm switching over to Martelli. Twice a year they have a special on all of their products, 50% off. That makes them pricey instead of astronomical. Until you actually use one and feel how different they are, it's hard to explain. They have an almost "soft" feel. Don't warp, regardless of being in sun, car, etc. Even when cutting minky or fleece, I've never had fuzzies that I get on my Olfas.

I have a larger one that I keep on my cutting table, and a smaller one (18 x 24) next to my sewing machine. Although I haven't tried it, their youtube video says you can actually iron on it, as long as the iron doesn't come in direct contact with that mat.

If you want to get their redline specials, when you go to their website, scroll down menu on left. You must go to redline direct, not just their e-mail listing. Sign up for redline direct. Once a month they have deep discounts, usually on a specific product. Twice a year (July and December) they have 50% off of everything; this is when I make my purchases.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I must be hard on cutting mats. I find I have to replace mine about every three years. I know keeping a really sharp blade keeps them from getting deep grooves.. but it one of those pay for lots of blades or pay for new mats... it all seems to work out to be the same in the end.
I agree - I know I am VERY HARD on mats.......my large OLFA was worn out ( deep grooves with fabric pieces stuck in them ) after about 2 years of infrequent use..........and I do change my blades often ( was using OLFA blades then.......

SO - I SWITCHED - i use only Martelli blades ( they stay so much sharper for so much longer, and I get packs of 10 when they are on sale for 50% off) and I bought two of their mats ( they yellow and purple ones).....have used both quite a bit more than the OLFA for about 3 years now, and neither one has the first "groove" ....both are like brand new...........I got each when Martelli had their REDLINE on line sale for 50% off - so price was more than comparable with Olfa, etc.............I am really pleased with both these blades and these mats.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Although I've had fairly good luck with Olfa's lasting several years, I'm switching over to Martelli. Twice a year they have a special on all of their products, 50% off. That makes them pricey instead of astronomical. Until you actually use one and feel how different they are, it's hard to explain. They have an almost "soft" feel. Don't warp, regardless of being in sun, car, etc. Even when cutting minky or fleece, I've never had fuzzies that I get on my Olfas.

I have a larger one that I keep on my cutting table, and a smaller one (18 x 24) next to my sewing machine. Although I haven't tried it, their youtube video says you can actually iron on it, as long as the iron doesn't come in direct contact with that mat.

If you want to get their redline specials, when you go to their website, scroll down menu on left. You must go to redline direct, not just their e-mail listing. Sign up for redline direct. Once a month they have deep discounts, usually on a specific product. Twice a year (July and December) they have 50% off of everything; this is when I make my purchases.

ME TOO - I just got backup right and left ergonomic cutters ( I cut with both hands - switching when one gets tired) and more blades during their REDLINE sale..........Their blades and mats are so much better than anything else out there 0 and with the ever-increasing cost of LQS cotton fabric - I cannot afford to waste any of it by poor cuts............

I think EVERYONE on this board should register for their REDLINE sales - no purchase requirements, and every month there is something on sale - and the twice a year sales on EVERYTHING for 50% off ( except machines and their cutting table ) is well worth the time to register. (IMHO)
Old 07-17-2013, 03:32 PM

I must be very hard on mine or not using my rotary cutter correctly. After a few swipes on my mat it suddenly goes from great to okay. Obviously you can't soak a mat 24x36" in the bath tub; how else do you suggest wetting it down? I placed mine on a large piece of plastic to protect the carpet, laid the mat on that and then sprayed it with water. Didn't seem to help.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:32 PM

I have had mine for over 10 years. I think if you change your blades regularly, your board will last longer. Dull blades can damage the board. I have never soaked mine, never knew that was something I could do.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

WOW, can someone give more info on giving a cutting mat a bath?? Just water but what temperature?? How long do you let it relax in the bath??? My mat one time was too close to my Presto pizza cooker. Guess that thing does give out intense heat so I still have the mate with a slight budge on the side.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:08 PM

After 20 years, I finally bought a new one, but still use the older one next to my machine for smaller pieces when appliqueing or paper piecing.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:33 AM
IQ2

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
WOW, can someone give more info on giving a cutting mat a bath?? Just water but what temperature?? How long do you let it relax in the bath??? My mat one time was too close to my Presto pizza cooker. Guess that thing does give out intense heat so I still have the mate with a slight budge on the side.
see comment #21...there's a link to the whole thread about soaking