Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long will our quilts last?? >

How long will our quilts last??

How long will our quilts last??

Old 12-13-2011, 08:14 PM

I think it depends on how the quilt is used and how it's cared for more than the fabric that is used in making it. I hate to say this but, many people today have been spoiled by the easy come - easy go style of living and simpley do not take care of anything. Therefore, a quilt placed in their hands will not last very long compared to a quilt placed with someone who takes care of their things. I have quilts made by my Mom and my Mother-in-law that are more than 50 years old. They have been used on a regular basis, washed many times and are still in great shape.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:56 PM

Hadn't really thought about it - but just hope mine are used and enjoyed-
Old 12-14-2011, 04:25 AM

For me personally, I want my quilts to be enjoyed and used. If they last 100 years that's great, but I would much rather the ones who I give them too would have fond memories of all the times they were comforted by having a quilt to use. Guess I would say I make Linus quilts for kids and adults.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:36 AM

I believe longer than those of my Granmother's days. I have quilts that I use from my Grandmother, I wash and use again. These were made with the cotton of the 1930s and 1950s and most are sewn by treadle machine and all handquilted. The colors are faded and I have redone some of the quilt bindings, but the quilts are still in good shape for the daily use. Grandma made quilts to use NOT to sit in some chest and keep till - LATER.

Today with stronger fabrics and threads and with more care with washing etc, our work should last.

My Grandmothers quote: "I hate to cook, because all I have to show for my efforts is dirty dishes. When I sew, it is for a lifetime,"

Wise lady!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
I don't think that it is much about the quality of fabric as it is the wear and tear on the quilt and the amount of scrubbing it takes. personally I don't want my quilts to last 100 years because i would rather them be loved to death in 20-30 years.
I'm with sahm4605
Old 12-14-2011, 04:54 AM

I disagree with that to some degree because of the quality of fabric and useage of the quilts.Make on out of polyester it will be around for 200 years i think that stuff is thick and hot and last and last and last a very long time.Personaly I don't like polyester quilts they are too heavy and hot for me.I gave one to a couple whos house burned down years ago,when my daughter was only 7 she is now 25.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:24 AM

I don't think the ladies of the farms and prairies really gave that a thought. They were just trying to keep their families warm. :-) So I hope that whomever I give a quilt to, loves it and uses it. (Relatives made quilts for our sons when they were born and the kids beat them to death. They did become a bit threadbare, but the boys loved them. That's what counts).
Old 12-14-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by aorlflood View Post
I think one variable is that people wash their quilts more often these days than they did back before every home had a washing machine/dryer.

The less often you wash a quilt, the longer it will last.

Personally, I don't routinely wash my quilts...only when they show signs of being dirty. That said...since it's just DH & I and we are both clean people, my quilts don't get washed very often.

I learned this from my aunt who quilted all her life and died at the age of 92. She said to only wash the quilts when necessary.
I personally agree with aorlflood in the quoted post above. Dryers are extremely hard on any textile so when I wash one of my quilts it never goes in the dryer and is not hung out in the sun.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:21 AM

Default helenquilt

I have a quilt dated May 19th 1867. It has a few very small holes where rust once was. I think I washed it one time to many trying to get it white again. It was purchased at a garage sale very dirty about 30 years ago.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:28 AM

I feel that the type of machine they are laundryed in makes a big difference in the life of a quilt. But the fabric also is a key. I have a quilt that my mother made the blocks for and gave me 65 years ago, they were stored for at least 40 years before I made the quilt.
This was due to a # of reasons??? the point is it is a butter fly pattern, the first time I washed it all of the black body fabric fell apart.
none of the others were damaged, figure that one out. I made new bodies for the Butter flies these I did on the sewing machine Mom had made all of it by hand, my hands can't operate needle and thread due to tremors. All looks great but have it stored in a quilt box, to admire and protect it.