Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to make this block? >

How to make this block?

How to make this block?

Old 08-27-2013, 03:46 PM

Default Shaded 4-Patch Miniature Quilt

This was my first miniature quilt (11.5" x 14.5") which is not very precisely made, but it was the best I could do at that early stage of my quilting. I made the shaded 4-Patch block which was a one-inch square and fussy-cut the squares to feature the hearts. What was I thinking? I used #8 perle cotton thread to emphasize the heart shapes. I was pleased with my efforts.
Attached Thumbnails cimg4413.jpg   cimg4414.jpg  
Old 08-28-2013, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
I have seen this block used many times, but I have never seen a name for it, nor instructions. I could play with it and figure it out, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen any tutorials for it or knows of short cuts, etc.

I want to do it scrappy, so I need to know the dimensions of the squares to cut into triangles. I'm looking for guidelines so I can determine later what size block I want. I prefer to go big and trim down, if that makes sense. Also, I don't want to stress over points; I'd like to have them but won't worry if they get clipped a little, if that makes instructions easier.

Thanks in advance for your input!
There are several names for the pattern. Magic Triangle and/Mary's Square. I have made 9 quilts with this pattern. You can do it the old fashion way or you can choose your size draw it on graph paper and paper piece it. That way you are in control of your block size. I have done it as small as 2" and as large a 6". Contact me if you want more information.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janeknapp View Post
This was my first miniature quilt (11.5" x 14.5") which is not very precisely made, but it was the best I could do at that early stage of my quilting. I made the shaded 4-Patch block which was a one-inch square and fussy-cut the squares to feature the hearts. What was I thinking? I used #8 perle cotton thread to emphasize the heart shapes. I was pleased with my efforts.
I love this quilt. Great way to use this block!