Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to make a large quilt in a small space!!!! Quilt as you go??? >

How to make a large quilt in a small space!!!! Quilt as you go???

How to make a large quilt in a small space!!!! Quilt as you go???

Old 11-18-2011, 07:38 AM

I like QAYG Putting the pieces together is easy. The top and batting go onto the top layers. The top is right sides together with the batting showing. The backing goes to the back with the right sides together. Sew through all the layers and you have the top, batting and the backing in the right order. Trim the batting if needed. I hope this helps
Old 11-18-2011, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

there are a lot of ways to quilt as you go. some quilt blocks and join them into rows, etc.
some do quilts in sections. I have two tops waiting to be done and they are in three sections as they are King size.
many tutorials out there on this and books too. Quilting in Sections is one, Reversible Quilts is another and many more.
good luck.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 AM

I am using the method depicted here on a full size quilt right now and it is working out very nicely. I've used some other methods before but am really liking this method so far.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...63742788cCAcqm
Old 11-18-2011, 08:21 AM

you can sandwich your quilt on a table letting about half of it hanging over the edge with it hanging over the edge like that it keeps it smooth so you can pin the one half then do the other half the same way turn the quilt around and do the other half letting the pinned side hang over the table.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:36 AM

vacant lot, two sawhorses, full piece of plywood, decent weather...be prepared for lots of questions and try not to cause a traffic jam
Old 11-18-2011, 09:15 AM

Default quilt as you go alternative...

I share your sentiments on quilt-as-you-go. I have one which I made the blocks on my noon hour at work before retiring. It is okay, but for sure, not my favorite. I have another which I am going to finish the traditional method of blocks then tie the section of blocks, and it will be a "blended" quilt.
I have not got much room either. My big machine is in the room with my fabrics, ect, which is a 2ns of 3 bedrooms. I sew here during the day, and on my featherweight at night. When I get ready to quilt a quilt, I just do the sandwiching on the dining room table or floor, then complete the basting, safety pins, ect, until I am happy with it.
I have hand quilted just from my favorite chair in the family room. I have hand tied from that location also. There is no way I would have room for a quilt stand which takes up the entire toom.
I am happy with doing quilting this way, and wouldn't take a quilt stand or whatever they are called, if someone gave it to me.
Go for it!!
Mariah.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by quilt confused :) View Post
hi all,

i am from the uk so do excuse me if i sound abit daft with my questions

i have made small baby quilts in the past for my children and would now like to make a large quilt for my bed but i cant work out how to do it as i dont have a large enough flat open space to sandwich the quilt together!

is there anyway i can still make my quilt without needing all the space!

i have done abit of reading up about 'quilt as you go' as an alternative. but i am unsure how i get the quilted blocks joined together without bunching the batting when sewing them together?

in all honesty, i dont really like the finished look of the 'quilt as you go' quilts as much

any answers on this would be greatly appreciated!

Lisa x
Hi Lisa, from Manchester UK!!

I have done several large quilts in two halves, much easier to layer up and quilt too! No bumps in my wadding LOL

If you need some pointers just shout!

OH and welcome to the QB, you will get lots of friendly help and heaps of inspiration here!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:08 AM

my local quilt shop allows customers to use their work tables to baste when there are no classes in session-
Old 11-18-2011, 12:25 PM

Hello, Lisa. I, too, have a small space to work in, but here is how I get a quilt sandwiched for quilting. Use your ironing board and either a hollow core door or a piece of masonite or a piece of plywood about 60 inches long and 48 inches wide covered with an old mattress cover or a piece of vinyl tablecloth. place the board on your ironing board. Lay your backing right side down and smooth it out. Tape it down or use clamps. Then lay your wadding on top of that and smooth it out. Finally, put the top on the board, right side up. Clamp all together , making sure there are no wrinkles anywhere. Baste the quilt that is on the board. Loosen the clamps and move toward you. Smooth all layers out and clamp again. Baste. Loosen your clamps and walk around your quilt sandwich to the other side. Clamp that side and baste. When you finish those two sides, repeat performance with the sides which need to basted. You should then have no trouble quilting your quilt. Hope this works for you.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:43 PM

Excellent video!

Originally Posted by KimS View Post
I have the same problem and someone recommended watching this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA It's great! Will definitely be using this technique the next time I get ready to sandwich a quilt. Hope this helps.