Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How to make a quilt label into a pocket?

Blog Entries

How to make a quilt label into a pocket?

This may sound like a silly question but I would appreciate any input that you may have.

I'm making a wallhanging for my granddaughter and want to put a photo into a pocket made out of her quilt label.

Any clever ideas? Thank you!

I made a memory quilt once for my boss's wife. Her father passed away & she asked if I would make a quilt from some of his shirts. I sewed one of the shirt pockets on the back of the quilt & put the label inside the pocket.

Blog Entries
    adding to osewme, you can also add a flap to that with a closure... button or velcro.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Osewme and QuiltnNan! I want to make the label (already have it) into the pocket so that I may place a photo of my granddaughter with one of her butterflies on her shoulder. The label is of an Irish blessing. The label is a good size (large enough to hold the photo shown below.

Name:  2019 Butterfly Wall hanging.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  605.0 KBName:  Alyssa Butterfly.JPG
Views: 578
Size:  57.0 KBName:  Butterfly Blessing latest.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  78.4 KB

DJ
    I would make the pocket by sewing a piece of fabric to the label, right sides together, all the way around, leaving an opening for turning it out. Turn right side out, stitch up the opening, attach the sides and bottom of the label, leaving the top unattached, thus forming a pocket.

Beautiful quilt! Cute granddaughter!

How Nice!

Have you considered printing her photo onto fabric?

You wouldn't have to fear whether the photo might end up in the washing machine.
    Plus with using the quilt, the photo would become damaged with time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    what a beautiful girl and project
    Nancy in western NY
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    DJ! I haven't considered printing the photo as my ink jet printer does not print well on fabric. Also, have printed photos on my labels years ago using a different printer and those photos faded to barely recognizable. Because of those issues, that I have and have had, I did not consider printing the photo on (special) printable fabric. Also, this is a wall hanging and will not be laundered as a quilt would be and this child is quite astute about what to do and not to do, so I am banking on that fact and hoping the photo will not be laundered.

Thank you for your ideas and input. I so appreciate it very much! Yolanda

I make triangle shaped labels for all my quilt projects. This way I can stitch them to the quilt on 2 out of 3 sides. I usually use steam a seam to tack down the last seam but if left open you could use it as a pocket to hold something. To make my triangle label I take a square piece of fabric and fold it diagonally. I usually add my words using my embroidery machine. Have a template I made in my Embird program and just add what I want to say within the outline then skip the 1st color (outline).
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I have attached a label into the corner of a quilt binding, which makes a pocket.

Blog Entries
    Snooze2978 and kat13! I often use the corner label as well. I feel more confident if two sides are sewn in the bias binding. Normally, I hand stitch the third side down. However, this would do for a pocket as well. Thank you for the ideas. Yolanda

I recently made a memory quilt from Aloha shirts and for the label I used a pocket from one of the shirts. I also did a solar-dye of a picture, trimmed it in rick-rack to get that old photo look and sewed it as if it was coming out of the pocket. The recipient loved it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Monika! I love what you did! I have no idea how to do a "solar-dye". It looks great! It does give me some more options, however. Thank you all for trying to help me figure this pocket idea out. I so appreciate your input. Yolanda

Lots of good ideas here. I am now in love with solar-dye for pictures. It dyes the fabric so never washes out. Can't do full-color, but if you have the right picture it is a great method. And fun to do too!
    https://www.jacquardproducts.com/solarfast

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monika View Post
    I recently made a memory quilt from Aloha shirts and for the label I used a pocket from one of the shirts. I also did a solar-dye of a picture, trimmed it in rick-rack to get that old photo look and sewed it as if it was coming out of the pocket. The recipient loved it.
    this is fantastic!
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    Monika! I purchased a solar-dye kit and plan to try your method. Thank you for this idea. Your example is really great!

Have fun! The instructions say that you might need two copies of the negative taped together. I found out for me that was definitely true. We also played around with how long we expose it to sun. I usually shoot for 4x6 pictures so I can get 4 pictures out of each sheet.I cut the negative paper first and print in the photo paper feeder.

In the middle of the day we expose it to sun about 20 minutes, but the learning curve is very easy, so you will see how long you need easily. I have even made a negative out of text and used that in addition to the pictures.

Here is one I used for a bed runner I made for the cats. The picture is one of the cats in the home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Monkia! Thank you for all of your input. I'm totally in the dark regarding this process so will need that input. I love the cat! Yolanda