Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How To Make Your Own Color Catchers.  Tips? >

How To Make Your Own Color Catchers. Tips?

How To Make Your Own Color Catchers. Tips?

Old 01-24-2015, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

I get mine at Walmart so cheap that it wouldn't be worth my time to try to make them.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:30 PM

Here is a site with recipe for home made color catchers.

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/...-catchers.html
Old 01-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

I would be worried that a home made concoction may damage a quilt. After spending all that money on materials and putting in all that time, spending a buck or two for a color catcher seems like a wise investment.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lildinks2013 View Post
As someone suggested a terry cloth. Would a terry wash cloth (white) work along with some arm n Hammer on cold cycle? Then maybe set the color with vinegar after that wash?
Vinegar is great for freshening/ disinfecting your laundry, but has no benefit to set modern commercial dyes used on cottons. It is used with acid dyes, like wools& silks- animal based fibers.
Soaking your fabric in soda ash helps the fabric absorb dyes when dyeing fabric, but washes away when laundered, so kind of seems like it wouldn't be very beneficial. Tossing in a white washcloth would do as much or more than a fabric soaked in soda ash.
Visit Dharma Trading Company, they have a lot of helpful information on their site explaining all of the products related to dyeing, dyes, fixatives, etc.
You could also just buy a bottle of synthrapol. Which keeps fugitive dyes suspended in the water so they do not ( bleed) onto other fabrics in the wash. It takes very little, so is cost efficient
Old 01-24-2015, 06:09 PM

You can order Shout Color Catchers on the WalMart website to be shipped to your house.....box of 24 for just over $4.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:16 PM

I use a dye-setting product (not synthrapol) that I purchase online -- it's not expensive -- costs more to ship than the product costs per unit -- so I buy several bottles at a time, with the same shipping cost! I have no financial interest in the company that makes the product -- it's Ritz Dye Fixative and IT WORKS! I am particularly careful with full vibrant colors -- those are the ones most likely to bleed, but I check them all! It's worth the extra step and accomplishes two safety things in one operation -- if you dye-set your fabric, you're also causing it to shrink (if the fabric is prone to shrinkage), and you're also guaranteeing that your dyes will NOT bleed. Come to think of it, it also accomplishes fade prevention! JMHO!

Jeanette
Old 01-25-2015, 03:36 AM

I have been making mine as directed on the following web site. The white felt from Joann, arm and hammer washing soda from Walmart. You don't need the big box. Very pleased with it and can't tell the difference between mine and the purchased.

http://www.livingonadime.com/homemad...chers-laundry/
Old 01-25-2015, 04:30 AM

the soda ash from Dharma Trading is a dye fixative, it's what makes the dye stay in the fabric, otherwise it will wash out so that may be what you're looking for, it's not that expensive, I but it in a 10 lb. bag for my hand dyed fabrics, give it a try
Old 01-25-2015, 05:01 AM

Wal Mart carries these at great prices, Plus you can order online at the WM site.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:39 AM

Look carefully. Ask. I find it hard to believe you cannot find some brand of "color catchers" in California.