Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many Cutting Mats Do You Own? >

How many Cutting Mats Do You Own?

How many Cutting Mats Do You Own?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by mommafank
I am wondering if there is a reason to have more than one or do some of you have way too much money to spend---LOL
I hear you! When I bought my 24 x 36 mat (half price and then additional 15 % off, I thought I had it covered mat-wise and was pleased with myself... then I took a class and they said I needed a 18 X 24 mat to fit next to the machine and I couldn't see transporting the big one. Plus I was planning on taking a lot of classes so a good investment...So then I had two mats. Then I found that I was cutting some little items over and over and thought that might wreck just one spot on the bigger mats so I bought the little 4 x 6... This is probably what happens to most people. Oh, then the next quilt shop that I take lessons from provides you with a mat... But I like having the two big mats next to each other as I have a large table and plenty of room. But would rather have bought fabric :lol:
Old 02-25-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ceil
I am wondering if there is a reason to have more than one or do some of you have way too much money to spend---LOL
I hear you! When I bought my 24 x 36 mat (half price and then additional 15 % off, I thought I had it covered mat-wise and was pleased with myself... then I took a class and they said I needed a 18 X 24 mat to fit next to the machine and I couldn't see transporting the big one. Plus I was planning on taking a lot of classes so a good investment...So then I had two mats. Then I found that I was cutting some little items over and over and thought that might wreck just one spot on the bigger mats so I bought the little 4 x 6... This is probably what happens to most people. Oh, then the next quilt shop that I take lessons from provides you with a mat... But I like having the two big mats next to each other as I have a large table and plenty of room. But would rather have bought fabric :lol:
Thank you! Now I know I might need a smaller one---I could travel with that if I wanted. But then, think that would probably be it!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BJ SewKkrazzy
there is a tool you can buy on line,none of the stores seem to carry it, to keep your mats in good condition.
It's called a Mat Smoother, by Tri-sharp. I use it after regular cutting and it keeps my mat smooth!
http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail....3-f7d6c071d7a1
A round smooth honing stone found at hardware stores or auto stores does a great job of mat smoothing. You want to use the smoothing honing side.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:44 AM

I have 3. One is permanently attached to my rolling cutting table, one is the first large one I bought and I have a smaller one that I keep by my sewing machine for "touchup" type cutting
Old 02-25-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I only have two. Maybe I need to go shopping!
Me too! LOL One is a big one (to me) I accidentally left it out in the back of the van one time and one part is bent upward. Have tried to fix it by putting heavy stuff on it but it won't work!

The other is a combo iron/cutting mat. I love it!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:56 AM

Two
Old 02-25-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by AngieS
Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I only have two. Maybe I need to go shopping!
Me too! LOL One is a big one (to me) I accidentally left it out in the back of the van one time and one part is bent upward. Have tried to fix it by putting heavy stuff on it but it won't work!

The other is a combo iron/cutting mat. I love it!
I've done that also and then I used an iron with a teflon pressing sheet then let it cool and for the most part more or less got it to where it's useable.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by patimint
I only have 1, but am going to get a smaller one for use in an other area of my sewing space and a fold over cutting board/pressing board for traeling.
me too just one but wanna get the foldie one too
David
Old 02-25-2011, 01:07 PM

I have to take my mat to another room to cut so I like having the 18 x 24 because it's easier to move. I had the bigger ones when I had a big table dedicated to cutting but I don't have that anymore, but the big fiskars one is good for when I need to cut a bigger thing. It's just hard to carry around. The small ones came in a value pack but the 12 x 18 fits perfectly on my small ironing table so I can do quick small cuts from my chair. The 6 x 18 has actually come in handy too.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:39 PM

only have 9 right now:
june tailor combo.

ominimats
6"X8"
8"X10"

olfa
17"X24"
23"X35"

duraheal
12"X18"

Martelli
16"X22"

and a 9" brooklyn revolver

and a cardboard one for cutting out cloths patterns, not ment for rottery cutters
ask me again after the April quilt show LOL