Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many don't  join swaps and why >

How many don't join swaps and why

How many don't join swaps and why

Old 02-13-2010, 07:57 PM

I used to do all kinds of swaps, from fat quarter swaps to block swaps to secret santa swaps. I don't do them anymore. I have gotten some very poor quality fabrics in fq swaps, some very poor workmanship and horrible color choices in block swaps and a bunch of dollar store junk in secret santa swaps. Some of the swaps were even in local guilds and not mailed swaps.

In our small guild we did a log cabin block round robin. I wanted purples on the dark side and yellow on the light side. I got just about everything but purple and yellow. Except one strip on the dark side is a purple on yellow plaid.

We did one block of the month swap and there are two members that I never did get blocks from. I made extra blocks myself and just put the quilt together.

I was in one internet block swap that it took almost a year from the time the swap started to get my blocks back and it was only a four block swap! I ended up tossing one of the swapped blocks anyway because it was very poor quality fabric and making another one myself.

As for fat quarter swaps, I got tired of getting cheap fabric back when I sent in "quilt shop quality" fabric. If you can only afford walmart fabric maybe you should save the money you'd spend on postage and buy better quality fabrics on sale. If you're on the internet you have access to thousands of quilt shops with tons of sale fabrics.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:07 PM

I have enjoyed swaps on quilting board. I do my quilting and socializing at odd times, and the internet suits me well. I don't really like sitting around sipping tea and crumpets anyway.
I've done several block swaps here, the row round robin going on now, and boomerang swap.
I don't expect everyone's ability and likes to be the same, and I feel that is what makes it neat. No disappointment on my part. If there is one particular block that just doesn't
"do it" for me, I can alter it, or leave it out, and no one knows except me.
Thanx to all of you who have participated in the swaps I have done. I appreciate your personality.

The only down side to swapping, is that I don't get my individual projects finishes. But swapping is better than lots of evening activities that are illegal.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:16 PM

I've only participated in one block swap and it was the black and white one on this board. It was great and all of the blocks are well done. I did the Secret Santa swap and that was great too. I am now doing the International Round Robin II and we're just completing the second round and they all look fantastic.

I don't know if I will sign up for any other swaps since I have limited time after work and weekends and there are so many projects that I am working on and want to do on my own.

As for all the people that say they like working with un-washed fabric, I used to be that way until I started using starch. I liked the stiffness of new, not the limp of washed, and it seemed that no matter how much I ironed the wrinkles of washing never quite came out. Using starch is amazing! Wrinkles come right out and I can make the fabric as stiff as I want to and I usually make it stiffer than un-washed. It makes my piecing come out so much better.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:44 PM

On several groups I have done swaps, not having a local network of quilters at the time, I thought it would be fun to try. It seemed like more and more I never got stuff in the colors I asked for, blocks were undersized, but I didn't want to be b****y, but my husband mentioned that I seemed to put a lot of effort into this and didn't seem to get much back.
I guess the final straw was when I did a Secret Santa. I made several small gifts to keep the cost down, shared some quilt shop FQ from my stash, a couple of patterns I got on eBay and some very nice chocolates. My partner had to be asked if she got it and all she did was say yes, I got it, thanks and I got her stuff she had specified. Worse was what I got back, a very flimsy FQ in colors I put on my dislike list, a few loose hershey kisses, a cookie cutter and a pair of footies that smelled like Snuggle fabric softener. I already had the same footies and knew they were sold in a three pack.
So no, I haven't totally sworn them off, but I only do about one or two a year and only on established swaps.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I
If you can only afford walmart fabric maybe you should save the money you'd spend on postage and buy better quality fabrics on sale. If you're on the internet you have access to thousands of quilt shops with tons of sale fabrics.
I've read this thread with interest and can relate to many of the responses but haven't said anything beyond my own response earlier. However, and this may well get me in trouble, I am personally offended by the above comment. On a personal level I find it rude and patronizing. Most of the folks on-board are helpful, understanding and friendly folks and I appreciate all the words of wisdom (whether directed to me or not!) this is IMHO - most certainly is NOT friendly, is snobbish and is somewhat demeaning and uncalled for. I believe this takes it to a personal level towards people you don't even know. I am delighted you are in a place where buying fabric on-line or a lqs are options for you but they are not options for everyone who enjoys sewing and/or quilting. However, this is only my personal opinion to which I am as entitled as you.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by AnnT
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I
If you can only afford walmart fabric maybe you should save the money you'd spend on postage and buy better quality fabrics on sale. If you're on the internet you have access to thousands of quilt shops with tons of sale fabrics.
I've read this thread with interest and can relate to many of the responses but haven't said anything beyond my own response earlier. However, and this may well get me in trouble, I am personally offended by the above comment. On a personal level I find it rude and patronizing. Most of the folks on-board are helpful, understanding and friendly folks and I appreciate all the words of wisdom (whether directed to me or not!) this is IMHO - most certainly is NOT friendly, is snobbish and is somewhat demeaning and uncalled for. I believe this takes it to a personal level towards people you don't even know. I am delighted you are in a place where buying fabric on-line or a lqs are options for you but they are not options for everyone who enjoys sewing and/or quilting. However, this is only my personal opinion to which I am as entitled as you.
We're just talking about swaps. If you want to use walmart fabric for your own stuff go right ahead. But when you're swapping with people that pay full retail price and buy top quality fabric do you really think it's fair to send in dollar a yard fabric from walmart? *I* find that offensive.

Since there are at least a couple of dozen places that regularly sell quilt shop fabrics below 4 bucks a yard the majority of people can afford a yard or two of good quality fabrics for a swap. If you can't afford good quality fabric and the postage for a swap then maybe you shouldn't be swapping if your budget is that tight. I know if my budget was that tight I wouldn't be swapping. Been there, done that. And since I've been there and done that, I know it's possible to afford good quality fabric if you really want to.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:59 AM

We're just talking about swaps. If you want to use walmart fabric for your own stuff go right ahead. But when you're swapping with people that pay full retail price and buy top quality fabric do you really think it's fair to send in dollar a yard fabric from walmart? *I* find that offensive.

Since there are at least a couple of dozen places that regularly sell quilt shop fabrics below 4 bucks a yard the majority of people can afford a yard or two of good quality fabrics for a swap. If you can't afford good quality fabric and the postage for a swap then maybe you shouldn't be swapping if your budget is that tight. I know if my budget was that tight I wouldn't be swapping. Been there, done that. And since I've been there and done that, I know it's possible to afford good quality fabric if you really want to.
Unless you live in my area, I don't know how you would know who sells what for which price so we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:03 AM

[quote=AnnT
Unless you live in my area, I don't know how you would know who sells what for which price so we'll just have to agree to disagree.[/quote]

I don't have to live in your area. You have the same internet I do. I know for a fact you can buy quilt shop fabric at www.thousandsofbolts.com for less than 4 bucks a yard *every* day. I also know it's not the only place that sells fabric for that price on the internet.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:30 AM

Let me attempt to change the subject! :roll: One good reason to join swaps is to make new friends.

The doll quilt swaps I coordinate are open to everyone. We have swappers of every level and very few guidelines to follow. My vision for these swaps was to promote camaraderie, practice quilting techniques, and have fun. And we have lots of fun!

If you're looking for a particular skill level, fabric quality or choice, and/or quilting mind readers then perhaps you'll find more enjoyment watching from the sidelines. I think that would be fun too.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chele
Let me attempt to change the subject! :roll: One good reason to join swaps is to make new friends.

The doll quilt swaps I coordinate are open to everyone. We have swappers of every level and very few guidelines to follow. My vision for these swaps was to promote camaraderie, practice quilting techniques, and have fun. And we have lots of fun!

If you're looking for a particular skill level, fabric quality or choice, and/or quilting mind readers then perhaps you'll find more enjoyment watching from the sidelines. I think that would be fun too.
I agree with this whole heartedly...is there such a word...We always tell our quilt guild, no quilt police allowed