Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many don't  join swaps and why >

How many don't join swaps and why

How many don't join swaps and why

Old 02-14-2010, 08:10 AM

I love to make new friends. Swaps also help me realize that there are some skills way above mine, and a few below, but we all started somewhere. If you only do swaps to get something better, than stay out.

ScissorQueen: The fabric may be $4 (not the best stuff), PLUS SHIPPING. That eats into a limited budget. I sm just happy that others are having as much fun as I am.

Once again, thank you to all who play!
Old 02-14-2010, 08:26 AM

The bottom line when it comes to the swaps I organize is "Have Fun!!" Really simple!

It doesn't matter what the dollar amount of the fat quarters is, what does matter and what some fail to see as being important in a swap is that someone took the time and made the effort to choose those fat quarters for their person!

Yes there are tonnes of online shops to buy from, but some people, myself included don't do credit cards, so buying online presents a problem, unless they wish to mail the money to the shop for the order. Today's economy doesn't allow some of us to be choosy, I have sewn for many years, more years than I care to remember, I have used quilt shop quality fabric, and I have also used Walmart fabric, I've even put them together in quilts....imagine that!! I have seen quilt shop fabric that was thin or thinner than fabric I purchased at Walmart. Our ancestors didn't have the luxury of buying quilt shop quality, yet their quilts are treasured.... Hmmm, I wonder why???

Swaps are done to have fun, and the fellowship that comes with being involved with others. That alone is worth more than any quilt shop fat quarter.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:33 AM

While I come here, read posts, and look at pictures, the fact that there are people behind all of that isn't quite real or doesn't quite compute. Maybe because I get caught up in the topics, or the printed word makes it removed from the speaker. I'm not really sure, but there it is.

Joining a swap emphasizes the real-life presence of other people, just like me who are interested in this particular thing that we are swapping. I like to feel that connection.

If I don't join, it's because my life is in the way or the specific swap doesn't appeal to me.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
and the fellowship that comes with being involved with others.

Hi Shadow ! :-D
Havent seen you lately, how are you doing ?

As to swaps - to keep within the subject ;-) -
loved SSanta :thumbup:
Old 02-14-2010, 09:14 AM

Quilting is a hobby and is done as stress relief. Until recently, I had been working a lot of hours. Joining a swap and knowing that I had to finish X amount of blocks in X amount of time during a deadline crunch would take the fun out of it and add a minute amount of stress instead of relieving it.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:29 AM

I haven't joined any form of swaps......actually becasue I am not too sure just what it is...

I first thought that it was "swapping" of fabric, FQs, 1/2 YDs, etc......but then I read about blocks, dolls and so on........

Is this all specified in the beginning of a new swap.....

thanks for any info..just might decide to join in on one when knowing more about them....mj
Old 02-14-2010, 10:56 AM

swaps come with rules and you need to go along with them. Unsure- ask the swap mom. post a pic of the fabric you'll use- your other swappers will give feedback.

that said- I just finished a brick swap. It was my first to take charge. I was worried I wouldn't be able to keep up with it. Luckily, it was small and even though I got busy for a bit, it still went well. I mailed the packages yesterday and look forward to everyone receiving theirs.

there was a mix of types of fabrics- lqs, wal-mart, joann's. But they all looked like they will be good in a quilt- no real quality issues. I'm pleased with the results.

I'm careful of participating- I get scared of the deadlines as my work days vary from hour to hour and I'm afraid of something coming up and I can't meet the deadline. After doing the black & white block swap and loving every one- I did the blue and yellow one and ended up with ones that wouldn't fit in to the quilt I was envisioning. But there were enough to do something else with. Now- I wait a bit to see what the blocks look like and if I have anything in my stash to go along with it. I'm not going to buy fabric to be in a swap just because I like the colors- I have to have a need, not a want.

Oh- I don't do the doll quilt ones- 1st- what would I do with them, 2nd- I'm just learning to do small things. I don't do the dolls- I'm scarred forever by the ones I made- I didn't like them at all.

Just be wary- try one and see how it goes.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
I haven't joined any form of swaps......actually becasue I am not too sure just what it is...

I first thought that it was "swapping" of fabric, FQs, 1/2 YDs, etc......but then I read about blocks, dolls and so on........

Is this all specified in the beginning of a new swap.....

thanks for any info..just might decide to join in on one when knowing more about them....mj
Yes, go to the swap section and when you read on them they specify what they are swapping. Some are for fabric, fat quarters, 5 inch squares (and what kind of fabric, colors, flannel, cotton) quilt squares, doll quilts. All kinds of swaps going on ! In fact just yesterday I found the international siggy block swap , which I am still thinking about :? LOL
Old 02-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

You said been there done that. perhapes then you forgot what its like to have your world turned up side down. I have been reading and enjoying this group for a couple of months before I joined with all there encouragement and friendlyness and just down right wonderful people. I am so glad I joined before I read any of your replys, because I would not have joined after reading your rude uppity replys. yes I have a collage education and yes I was makeing a lot of money before I was injured but even then I would never demean anyone because they could not afford something that I could. It is the thought the time and effort that people put in to what they are doing that counts. And god bless those people because they are what makes a difficult world a better place to be. reply to scissors queen
Old 02-14-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by penny doty
You said been there done that. perhapes then you forgot what its like to have your world turned up side down. I have been reading and enjoying this group for a couple of months before I joined with all there encouragement and friendlyness and just down right wonderful people. I am so glad I joined before I read any of your replys, because I would not have joined after reading your rude uppity replys. yes I have a collage education and yes I was makeing a lot of money before I was injured but even then I would never demean anyone because they could not afford something that I could. It is the thought the time and effort that people put in to what they are doing that counts. And god bless those people because they are what makes a difficult world a better place to be.
I never had a world to turn upside down. I never got a college education because I grew up poorer than dirt. I raised my kids on a hope and a string.

I am not demeaning anyone. We're talking about swaps. Not what you use in your personal items. I made my first quilt from 5 dollar for 50 pounds fabric. I still have that quilt.

I think it's wrong to send in low quality, cheap fabrics and get somebody's top quality fabrics in return and think that's okay. To me it amounts to theft by deception.

If you're offended because I don't want to swap top quality fabric for junk I guess that's too bad. I'll bet there are lots and lots of people that wouldn't want to swap good for bad but just don't have the guts to say so.