Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: how many hours a day

Blog Entries
    umm, isn't it more like hours per week? When I'm working (I teach) I have my 35-40 hour work week, plus all the time spent grading papers, adding into the gradebook, lesson planning, making new worksheets - it's probably about 65-70 hours a week. <- Yep, I do give LOTS of homework, projects and stuff to be graded! Then I get home, and have to clean up, take care of DD who's 2, cook for DH, take a shower and hopefully get at least 2 hours of sleep, before everything starts again.

So, I guess: in the summer, I can get 5-10 hours a week, and in winter I get maybe 2-3 hours if I'm really lucky. :)

klc
    I have all the time I want to do whatever. Some days I'm in my sewing room all day, other days I plan & think and waste my time, then other days I'm actually busy doing other things. So I forgot . . . what was the question?

Eri
    I quilt in chunks--some weeks I'll quilt for several days straight 10+ hours a day, hopping between projects that catch my fancy and ignoring the entire rest of my life.

...Then I remember that I have actual work to do in order to pay the bills, and wander into my office for a month and despite looking longingly at my design board and the piles of squares my cats are furring up, I try to exercise some self-control. :)

I always get this idea that maybe I can set up a schedule and quilt for an hour a day while working on a single project... sometimes I even set the kitchen timer for an hour--but then it goes off and I think, "I'll just finish pressing this fabric." And then I finish the fabric and think, "If I leave it out on the table, the cats will sit on it; if I fold it, I'll have to press it again... I'll just cut it up." And that leads to the thought, "Well, I don't want to just leave the cut pieces, what if they get lost in my chaos? I'll just sew them together..." And suddenly it's 3:00 a.m. and it's back into another week of quilting 10 hours a day!

It's always cause for celebration when I manage to finally get the last stitch sewn in the binding of one of my UFOs... it means I can work again! :P

I am sorta like Vat.....retired. I come in here in the am and leave about supper time. Then I do hand work while watching tv with DH (usually he is asleep in his chair). I keep a hand project going also

Blog Entries
    Some days I sew 12 hours and some days just a few minutes. It's according to how I feel when I wake up and what I want to do for the day. Sometimes I go on all day car trips by myself to out of the way fabric shops. I count that as a quilting day!

Even with the luxury of a sewing room, I don't sew everyday. I could spend an hour or 2 every evening, but I get on this darn computer. LOL

I go in spurts.

Nice weather 3 hrs...

Bad and winter weather 6 hrs

Not enough!

3 to 4 hours a day. Why do all these other people need so much sleep? They sleep, I quilt. There'd be more time to quilt if they didn't need food and clean clothes.

Hand sew everyday, Sewing room when I can, need to make a schedule, I just redid my sr and now I can find stuff in there before it was depressing because it was such a mess. I need to get a new chair, Can anyone reccomend one?

Blog Entries
    Since I do it for a living, I pretty much sew all day long with breaks for canning, pulling weeds, picking berries and walking the dogs. Oh! and reading this forum.

I work part-time, babysit my DGD two days a week and try to help my mom. So there are weeks when I get no sewing machine time, but I make sure to visit the QB every day! (LOL)

I sew in between everything else I do. I decided long ago just a few minutes here and there can really add up.....but my real joy is when I can set aside a few hours at a time. It takes me to another place...

I spend a lot of time ddreaming...and surfing the net looking for patterns and chatting on the boards but when its time to sew I can go for days non stop...I need that creative flow to strike.

Usually an hour or so at the machine & however long I watch TV at night for hand work.

Blog Entries
    I used to sew everyday, most of the day. Since April I've been in a funk. I just can't get motivated. I DID completely re-do my sewing room, but have only been sewing sporadically at best. I don't know if it's the heat or what but I wish I could get back to my old self... I DO hand quilt, at least for a little while, everyday.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I get really cranky if I don't sew almost daily so I try to work it in.
    Some days I sew more than others but usually do some every day :)
    If I don't fit it in I'll never "have the time" so it's a priority for me.

Blog Entries
    I spend almost 6-7 hrs a day either sewing or quilting. Right now I have to stop and do some canning or freezing of
    garden produce.

Blog Entries
    Most days not at all as I have lots of other claims on my time. Maybe 10 hours a month. I think about it a lot though!

Sew when I can. I am recuperating from a rough bout with my health, so am limited right now, but do what my back andmy energy can tolerate.

I'm retired so it depends on if I am working on something or just dreaming of the next project

Blog Entries
    I sew several hours every day. I am retired and although I care for a 2 1/2 yr old GGS I still get a lot of quilting time. For one thing he still sleeps 2 to 3 hours every afternoon! When I had a family and made garments for my chilren I had to fight to find the time to sew.

I quilt in the mornings before work in order to sew at night, I usually spend 2-3 hours a day for both.
    I have 10 tops to quilt working gets in my way.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitcher317
    I sew in between everything else I do. I decided long ago just a few minutes here and there can really add up.....but my real joy is when I can set aside a few hours at a time. It takes me to another place...
    Love this post.
    I have a quilting buddy who hand quilts for 30 minutes every morning and you'd be amazed at how it really does add up! :thumbup:

I thought I was the only one that put in a few hours each day. For me, it's at least 1-3 hours. Some days I don't do anything. I am retired.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast