Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many hours do you put in at Christmas time? >

How many hours do you put in at Christmas time?

How many hours do you put in at Christmas time?

Old 12-02-2019, 07:00 PM

I'll be doing some quilting next week, but then that's it until after the new year. My best friend is having a partial knee replacement next Tues, and I will be going to stay with her for several days. She lives on the other end of the city, so has booked a hotel suite for us. We've both selected things to work on, and are bringing our machines and supplies. Once I'm home, everything will have to be put away, as my dining room is my sewing room, and we're hosting Christmas, and a gathering or two.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:08 PM

I don't spend any time shopping for gifts, we don't really do them, but I have been busy all year getting things done for the bazaar.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:16 PM

I have a top I'd like to add the borders to and need to piece the back. Then it's finished - I'll take it to a longarmer in January when things settle down. My stitching plans beyond that (next year) are to get some UFO's finished and work on some smaller fun projects like bags or a mini quilt. Fortunately no one has been sick and we are on schedule for Christmas.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:58 PM

I normally wait too long and end up scrambling to get things done. This year I only have to hem 6 placemats and get everything in the mail. But I also just found out that a friend and member of one of my exercise classes will be undergoing treatment for breast cancer--so figuring I'm needing to put together a comfort quilt.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:13 AM

I have enough stress in my life that I don't need to add more by planning to make things for Christmas, too. If I do make something, I try to have it done before Thanksgiving because it's usually going to mailed to someone in my far-flung family. I view sewing and quilting as a way to relax from holiday stress.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:40 AM

I guess, I try to pace myself. This year I have made three quilts for family members that will be given at Christmas. One was my guild mystery quilt finished in late summer. A second was a quilt for my daughter pieced in the fall and the third a quilt for my son finished in November. #2 and #3 only need the binding put on as soon as they arrive from the longarmer which will be any day now. I have done the frantic thing just before Christmas in all sorts of ways and as much as I love to give hand-made items, I sometimes just put it down, and shop a little so I can enjoy the holidays too.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:48 AM

My sewing table becomes the wrapping table after Thanksgiving. I put away most of my fabrics. I select one fabric bin to work on thru the holidays. This year it's the Moda Christmas quilt along, so it's fitting that my Christmas fabrics are out. I don't sew Christmas gifts. I try to complete one UFO a month thru out the year, I disperse quilts to my friends and family who visit over the summer. Since I live in Florida, they swing by on their way to the beach. Only those who visit get quilts.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:55 AM

Quilting is my therapy so don't stress over making much along the line of quilting for Christmas. Maybe a small project or so. Christmas decorating, shopping (a little), baking some goodies, entertaining are my December projects.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:40 AM

I normally make somethings to give at Christmas as we exchange names with the adults in the family (our kids and their spouses) and buy/make for the grandkids. This year I made two purses (the large mini poppin bag) using McKenna Ryan art prints for my two quilting friends, a Harry Potter quilt for the recipient of the exchange-our DIL, and a couch quilt for our other DIL who never wants to be in the exchange, but ends up shopping and mailing our son's gift to his exchange recipient LOL I just want to give her a quilty hug this year!

I already have the material, patterns etc. to make at least two of the grandkids quilts for Christmas 2020.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Too many!
I have a million things to do before the 25th so my husband and I did a brain dump a couple of days ago. Seeing it on paper is helpful to me.
Crafting is coming along nicely. I knock off something on my brain dump list and then spend some time in my sewing room.
I want to work at a good pace so that once everyone gets here I won't be exhausted.
This year we have a new granddaughter and that's going to be extra special!