Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many hours do you put in at Christmas time?

Blog Entries

How many hours do you put in at Christmas time?

I have lost 3 day of this Christmas season already due to being very sick and in bed. The good thing is I lost 11 pounds! Bad things I couldn't move and most importantly I was away from here and unable to touch my sewing machine. Today is my first morning up for more than an hour since Thanksgiving. I am sewing almost all the time right now getting ready for the holidays. I am almost done with the baby quilt I am making and making more bowl cozies. I have place mats and table runners to finish too. I figure I will be sewing right down to Christmas eve putting a good 6-8 hours a day at the cutting board and sewing machine. It is kind of a frenzy of sewing this time of a year here. How many hours or how much do you make to prepare for the holidays.

Power Poster
    I don’t do major Christmas sewing. A few placemats, pot holders, oven towels etc. make up fast for quick gifts.

The end of the year is much like the middle of the year for me, but colder, darker and wetter

No real changes, used to do more but happy just facing one day at a time.
    Quilters: Advanced tool using humans.

If the Christmas sewing isn't done by Thanksgiving then I don't count on it being a for sure gift for Christmas.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    I used to stress about getting things made "for Christmas" -

now my back and shoulders will only allow an hour or two of sewing at a time.

Plus - we don't exchange gifts any more - so that has made life sooooo much easier.

Three of our kids make way more money than we do - and they can't think of anything to get us, either.

With one exception - they do send a winter arrangement for our holiday decoration!

I made the mistake of telling a friend that I would be a vendor for his craft show, as he didn't have enough vendors. Now, I'm scrambling. Very bad idea as now I am feeling under pressure to get a bunch of stuff done. I'll be putting in 5 or 6 hours a day for the next week to get ready.
    I just hope I sell some of it.

Watson

I don't do much Christmas sewing-only little things like potholders or small ornaments for the neighbors. Hope you get much better real soon and don't stress over the sewing. It probably will get done as soon as you feel better. Take care of yourself.

More than usual because this Friday is my Christmas bazaar and Iím a busy elf at the machine. And I have a grandson due in late Feb so may try to have his quilt done by the baby shower in midJan.

Last year I pushed myself to finish my grandtwinsí quilts by Christmas. Iím bummed that Iíve never seen my Jedís quilt out or used since then;(. Iíve seen Ellieís a handful of times. The babies just turned a year old and the quilts are big (like 40x50) so they have lots of time to grow into them, so to speak.

Year before that I made aprons for my little nieces. One loves all things kitchen and making.

But as for Christmas decor, no. I always have good intentions but havenít made a Specific Christmas thing in years.

Thanksgiving was the last quilts I made. They loved them. My donation quilt are due late October / early November. I don't make anything else. So far no one needs any more quilts. I do have some saved in case someone needs one.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I just picked up fabric for 15 pillowcases and a tree skirt. This week is a very busy one for me. I had a car accident last week, so my neck hurts, then I broke a tooth so I need to have that taken of. Add in a physical therapy session, a massage, a haircut (rare for me) and a doctor app't. Plus a tree and house and decorate. How many hours? I have to find them first.

I'll be doing some quilting next week, but then that's it until after the new year. My best friend is having a partial knee replacement next Tues, and I will be going to stay with her for several days. She lives on the other end of the city, so has booked a hotel suite for us. We've both selected things to work on, and are bringing our machines and supplies. Once I'm home, everything will have to be put away, as my dining room is my sewing room, and we're hosting Christmas, and a gathering or two.

I don't spend any time shopping for gifts, we don't really do them, but I have been busy all year getting things done for the bazaar.

I have a top I'd like to add the borders to and need to piece the back. Then it's finished - I'll take it to a longarmer in January when things settle down. My stitching plans beyond that (next year) are to get some UFO's finished and work on some smaller fun projects like bags or a mini quilt. Fortunately no one has been sick and we are on schedule for Christmas.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I normally wait too long and end up scrambling to get things done. This year I only have to hem 6 placemats and get everything in the mail. But I also just found out that a friend and member of one of my exercise classes will be undergoing treatment for breast cancer--so figuring I'm needing to put together a comfort quilt.

I have enough stress in my life that I don't need to add more by planning to make things for Christmas, too. If I do make something, I try to have it done before Thanksgiving because it's usually going to mailed to someone in my far-flung family. I view sewing and quilting as a way to relax from holiday stress.

I guess, I try to pace myself. This year I have made three quilts for family members that will be given at Christmas. One was my guild mystery quilt finished in late summer. A second was a quilt for my daughter pieced in the fall and the third a quilt for my son finished in November. #2 and #3 only need the binding put on as soon as they arrive from the longarmer which will be any day now. I have done the frantic thing just before Christmas in all sorts of ways and as much as I love to give hand-made items, I sometimes just put it down, and shop a little so I can enjoy the holidays too.

My sewing table becomes the wrapping table after Thanksgiving. I put away most of my fabrics. I select one fabric bin to work on thru the holidays. This year it's the Moda Christmas quilt along, so it's fitting that my Christmas fabrics are out. I don't sew Christmas gifts. I try to complete one UFO a month thru out the year, I disperse quilts to my friends and family who visit over the summer. Since I live in Florida, they swing by on their way to the beach. Only those who visit get quilts.

Quilting is my therapy so don't stress over making much along the line of quilting for Christmas. Maybe a small project or so. Christmas decorating, shopping (a little), baking some goodies, entertaining are my December projects.

I normally make somethings to give at Christmas as we exchange names with the adults in the family (our kids and their spouses) and buy/make for the grandkids. This year I made two purses (the large mini poppin bag) using McKenna Ryan art prints for my two quilting friends, a Harry Potter quilt for the recipient of the exchange-our DIL, and a couch quilt for our other DIL who never wants to be in the exchange, but ends up shopping and mailing our son's gift to his exchange recipient LOL I just want to give her a quilty hug this year!

I already have the material, patterns etc. to make at least two of the grandkids quilts for Christmas 2020.

Too many!
    I have a million things to do before the 25th so my husband and I did a brain dump a couple of days ago. Seeing it on paper is helpful to me.
    Crafting is coming along nicely. I knock off something on my brain dump list and then spend some time in my sewing room.
    I want to work at a good pace so that once everyone gets here I won't be exhausted.
    This year we have a new granddaughter and that's going to be extra special!

I don't count hours, but I do make most of my gifts and have gotten a little bit of a late start. I am making my sister a pair of pajamas, and I have 4 nieces that I will make clothes for, probably a dress and a hooded shirt for each. So what do I do at about 4 a.m. --start pulling fabric for the Quiltville Mystery quilt. I'm about a quarter of the way through this weeks clue and won't be able to leave it alone until I finish... then back to holiday gifts. I refuse to feel any stress when it comes to sewing, not why I do it.

Nope, maybe some hand work while watching TV. The Holidays come once a year. I plan to enjoy them. Priorities!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

For Christmas I rather buy gifts. I know a few quilters that sell quilts so if someone I really don't want to sew for expects a quilt they get one of those. The quilter is happy, the recipient is happy and I'm happy. Three birds with one check. LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Julia, I'm sorry you have been so ill. If you don't get 3/4 of what you feel you need to get done, doesn't get done, will the world end? I doubt it.

I sure hope you are feeling better!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast