Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many Machines Do You Have/Use? >

How Many Machines Do You Have/Use?

How Many Machines Do You Have/Use?

Old 07-14-2014, 04:45 AM

I have 4 right now - Babylock Ellegante, Babylock Sophia, Janome SE11,000 and a Babylock Evolution Serger. I am hoping to soon be the recipient of an older Bernina from my "wicked stepmother". That one is about 30 years old. But, I am running out of room and will most likely be selling the smaller Babylock and one of the two larger machines - not sure which one yet. That will be another posy when I decide!
Old 07-14-2014, 05:53 AM

I have a Janome Horizon 7700 and Janome 3160 for travel. Then I got a Brother PQ-1500s and I find it's great for bag making when I'm using heavier fabrics. Then I got a HQ Sweet Sixteen and now I do all my quilting on her. Finally I wanted a Pfaff for the IDT and my hubby got me the Passport for my birthday. I also have a Brother serger that is about 18 years old and I took it in for service and works better than when it was brand new. I have found I really am not using the Janome's any longer, so I think those are going to go up for sale.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:57 AM

I have 4 Vikings and one older 1970 Singer from mom. I use most of them at different times but the two newest ones are set up all the time.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:12 PM

I have two machines currently; a generic-brand machine called a 'dressmaker' with that was not new when my grandmother gave it to me it fifteen years ago (best guess is that it is from the late 70s/early 80s), and a Standard rotary treadle in working condition that I need to order a belt for.

I do most of my quilting by hand, but I have my two machines in separate rooms. My dressmaker is in my spare room with a door that shuts, so I can sew to my heart's content without disturbing my family with the noise and fabric mess. The treadle sits out in the family room, to be a conversation piece and let me work on my hobby without shutting myself away from the rest of the world.

In some ways I am glad my budget is so small, or else I would have a house stuffed to the gills with old sewing machines I couldn't walk away from!
Old 07-14-2014, 02:55 PM

I just added # 6 yesterday! I started collecting mid century Japanese imports long before I started sewing and quilting. I just really enjoy the look.

I have 3 Kenmores: 158.540, 158.850 & 158.880. All are Japanese and absolute tanks. All the Kenmores came with a complete set of cams and are in their original cabinets.

I have a Penncrest 6550 (Japanese badged for JC Penney) that has panels that fold up to make a carrying case (missing 3 of 4). It was sold as the Swing 'n Sew in a mod box. If anyone has one they want to release into the wild, just let me know. : ) It is the lightest (the Kenmores are over 40 lbs each).

My American Beauty is in the original case but I need to rewire the cord. It is also very heavy.

My Montgomery Ward UHTJ1964 is from Taiwan and is the only one that has a speed control.

Now that I'm quilting I find myself using several (5 of 6 are functional) for different tasks/presser feet. They all make beautiful stitches but the Kenmores are mainly for quilting as they can take many layers easily. The Penncrest & MW are the only ones I consider truly portable.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:59 PM

I have an old treadle singer I don't use but it works, a feather weight that I use a lot, a newer singer, my first machine which is a kenmore, two singers that need repairs, my babylock pro choice quilter and this past week I bought a babylock sashiko. So I quests five that I sew on on a regular basis.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:50 PM

I have 1 Kenmore, 1 Juki (serger), 1 Singer, 1 Babylock (embroidery), 3 Berninas (embroidery), 1 Elna (serger), 5 Janomes, 2 Brothers, and 1 Pfaff. Yeah, I know, it's nuts. But I've downsized a lot in the past year and I currently have 3 machines up for sale because I'm simply not using them. Even so, it's painful to part with them.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:48 PM

I have a brand new Viking 960Q, a Janome 760 for classes, a Kenmore zigzag, a Brother zigzag, and a Singer 66-1 built in 1907. I use the Viking, want to sell the Brother and the Singer. We're moving and I have to slim something down.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:15 AM

I like messing with vintage machines. Between my 10 yr old daughter and I we have 4 that see regular use. My wife doesn't sew. I'm in the process of restoring 2 treadle machines, at least one of which will go in the LR to be used when it's ready and we have a few other machines waiting for restoration as well. I think we're currently at 12 machines between us. My goal is for every machine we own to be usable though I'm sure some will see more use than others. I think the only capability we're lacking is a good free arm machine. My daughter prefers sewing clothes and bags while I prefer quilting. We have several machines that do zigzag and decorative stitches though I prefer my straight stitch machines for piecing.
Rodney
Old 07-23-2014, 06:03 AM

I have 3 vintage machines, 2 of which were handed down in the family, but none are in working order. I have a cheap little Brother that straight stitches only. I use this one for "sewing days". I have a Viking/Husquevarna Sapphire that I use, along with 2 Kenmores, day-to-day. I also take my Sapphire to quilt retreats. It's a hoss!! Then, I have my Juki that I keep on my quilting frame. Each one has a purpose, and I love them all!!