Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many machines? >

How many machines?

How many machines?

Old 06-17-2011, 04:44 PM

I use my Elna Quilters dream for most of my piecing, or did until I got my FW, BabyLock Plus I my newest (other than the FW) I do decorative stitches with it, Brother straight stitch, I leave my walking foot on and do all my bindings with, one out on loan, and my HQ16. Other than the one out on loan, yes I use 4 of them.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:52 PM

Modern machines? I have my Janome, a Brother, a Huskarvana Serger and a Pfaff 1200 short arm on a frame.
Vintage?
Wheeler & Wilson 8 (I don't use this one for fear of damaging the decals)
Singer 9W
Centenial Singer 201-2
1956 Featherweight
1916 66-1 Redeye
1924 Singer 99
1945/6 Singer 15-91
About 1950-60 something Kenmore
1978 Kenmore

So, I have 13 machines...and...I have my sights set on collecting a few more... Most of my machines I use regularly, except for the 78 Kenmore...I haven't fixed that one yet, but think I'm going to be able to thanks to Darcene!!!!! :)
Old 06-17-2011, 04:53 PM

I have 12. Some I use and others just sit there. It's a disease!!
Old 06-17-2011, 05:02 PM

7 - all either vintage or antique and all used sporatically. That's IT, however .... I simply have no more room!!!
Old 06-17-2011, 05:17 PM

Tonnieloree, I can only speak for myself, but I LOVE the look & sound of the vintage machines. My original (after 3 upgrades) husqvarna D1 is in my sewing table, youngest DD has staked claim to her and since she is learning to quilt it will eventually become her machine, I mostly use my husqvarna SE for embroidery, I "rescued" a Singer 66 Redeye from being put in a dump, purchased a 1970's New Home from a thrift store, she's my favorite piecing machine, I inherited a Singer from my grandmother ( she will be 100 in July) when she gave up sewing after breaking her hip at 96, my mom promised me my grandmother's FW and I will be thrilled to receive her, I have many memories of her at the dining room table making a pattern from a brown paper bag to make me a dress I saw in a store window. I purchased a 1903 Minnesota treadle from craig's list, she's in a lovely parlor cabinet, I do use all my machines except the treadle (need someone to teach me how) I meet 3 times a month with friends to quilt so I have machines for everyone to use, if they need one. I hope this is what you wanted to know about my having so many machines.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:27 PM

Gee, I have four Singers vintage (used 2 or 3), 2 newer Janome's (use both of these), and 2 sergers. Would like possibly a fw and or a treadle. Then I will stop! I will have to if I want to stay married :)
Old 06-17-2011, 05:57 PM

I have a Bernina Activa 145 that I bought used several years ago - the original shop it came from told me I could sell it for more now than I paid for it.

Both my boys have their own machines - one Brother and one Singer.

I just gave away my 1st machine - a TOYOTA (no kidding) to my boys school to be used after school for sewing lessons.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:17 PM

I have only two. I had an Elna 'back in the day' and
decided I update. Bought a new Brother, and gave my Elna
to youngest daughter who doesn't sew, but will use it to
mend etc. Loved the brother, but ended up replacing it a
few years ago. Trade it in for another Brother. Replaced
that in March 2011. My husband insists that it is not the
machine's fault, says I just wear them out. Oldest daughter
says the same. So, she lives about 9 hrs away but brought
me one of her industrial machines (a Singer 20 U} and we
gave her the $ to get a table and motor from the dealer
to bring with it. She says "there is no way you can wear
it out". I use the new Brother for sewing aprons, clothes
etc. which I don't do much of anymore. Use the 20U for
piecing quilts. I'm having to get used to ii as far as
the feel of the pedal and not going 20 mph when it first
starts out; but I love the stitch is makes. It is sooo
solid and the foot holds the fabric so it seems to just
sew a good straight line without even holding the fabric.
Had to give away a twin bed to make room for the 20 U,
but I only used the bed to pile up quilt stuff and also under it. So, I don't have room for others and this way
at least I have a back-up.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I guess I don't understand your thought process. Apparently you have more money that I do, but I would still like to know the "why" of your toys.
Tonnie, I don't know how old you are...I'm going to be 55 in November. As a younger woman, I'd have no more had one of these old machines for anything more than decoration than I would sit on the moon and eat green cheese. Why would I want one of these old things when I could have a new modern machine?
As I've gotten older, I've learned to appreciate the craftsmanship and quality that went into these old machines of mine. I will admit, I got my 9W treadle because I loved the looks of it, and really knew nothing about it....but I've learned about it. It sews like a dream, and I don't think there's anything I can't do with it. I bought the Wheeler & Wilson 8, again because I liked the looks of it, knowing nothing about it, I learned from Billy that it's rare, because the decals are mostly intact on it. For that reason I don't use it, altho it too stitches beautifully. I love the sound of the treadles, and the motion of treadling is soothing. The Singer electrics? They're workhorses! They're hard to "break". A little maintenance goes a LONG way in keeping these machines running like new.

All of that being said, I have a grand total of less than $2500 in all of my machines, and that includes my Pfaff 1200 quilting machine and frame. I rarely spend more than 30-40 bucks on a machine, and more often it's 15-20 bucks. ("Rarely" being the operative word there...it's been known to happen)

Now....let's talk! If you happen to trip over that Featherweight at a yard sale...buy it and send it to me, k? I'll pay you back!! :lol: ;)
Old 06-17-2011, 07:11 PM

OK all - I thought I was bad. I have two Pfaffs , one Brother, one Kenmore, a Viking Serger and a Voyager Mid Arm!! a total of 6! I am clearly lacking - lol!