Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many machines? >

How many machines?

How many machines?

Old 06-18-2011, 05:51 AM

I have 3 older Pfaffs, 2 newer Pfaffs, 1 feather weight, 1 Juki, 1 Juki serger, 1 Pfaff serger, 1 white treadle. That is way more than I can sew on at one time but wouldn't part with any of them.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:55 AM

23 and counting!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:57 AM

I have 3 ! serger I have used twice, ! old husqvarna that I really love but currently needs a repair and 1 2 year old Husvarna which I really don't like. Diane C
Old 06-18-2011, 06:00 AM

Long story and not the usual heard here:

Back in 1986 or so, my Singer, died. The fix it guy told me I had worn out the plastic in it - a shock to me because I had bought it new in 1979 or so, and had learned on a Singer that was old, a workhorse, my mom's.

So I bought a Viking 630, It's what I got when I asked the guy if he had anything that was all metal and no computer, which was really becoming the in thing about then

I've been so happy with this machine. I liked it because anything awesome I made showcased MY awesomeness, not the machine's.

A few months ago, the metal rod that ends with where one puts the needle, seemed to be 'shaky.' After doing some research, which I suppose I should have done years ago, I concluded that since they no longer make this machine, main parts would be unavailable, I decided to buy one for 'parts' to have on hand.

So I bought one, to have on hand for parts. I got it off of ebay, I forget what was wrong with it, I suppose it could have been fixed.

More research, found out that Viking had already started the 600 series, when Computer Reports published a glowing report of the their 150. So, they made available a 150E. It basically is the same as the 630, a few less features, but the buttons and insides are the same, so I bought one. It works fine.

Then, and seems to me it's a weird coincidence that this all happened around the same time, a Viking 630 was offered on ebay. In the ad they never said it was a 630, but in the pics the number was apparent. It was claimed to be a workhorse and would be great to sew boat cushions (why they chose that, I do not know) It had all these feet, seemed to be well taken care of, sort of like mine, so I bought it too.
It's the one I use now, because the rod that ends with the needle (sorry, don't know name) isn't 'shaky.

With my original 630, I have purchased a bunch of presser feet, and the walking foot, knew that in the sewing machine world they make these things with parts that only fit a few machines before they change them. I spent a lot of money for all of them, I wanted to keep a machine that all my presser feet would fit.

So, does anyone know how to get into the main part of this Viking? We've taken out screws available, my husband’s quite the handyman, but there must be a trick to getting the cover off,. Anyone know, or know anyone who knows, how to get to the inside without ruining the outside? My oldest son got some of it taken off, he works with computers and it seems how they come apart is how part of this cover came apart, but now even he is stumped.

So, I have 3 Viking 630s, and one Viking 150E, but only use one, that's all I really need at one time, and parts for the 630 if I ever need it

(I guess I should say 'Husqvarna' rather than Viking, as that's the word that's on the machine)
Old 06-18-2011, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

I have always been a little afraid to admit just how many machines I own. Now I know I am not the only one and what I own is not much compared a lot of you. It is certainly good to know others share my love of sewing machines. I have 18 in all use 4 more than the others but they all come out to play. I have to admit I would not mind adding more machines.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:12 AM

guilty. an old gear driven "sewmor" (made by white), an '80s singer, a redeye treadle, a white treadle, a kenmore, a janome 5500, a janome serger, a featherweight, a viking emerald, and i have a line in an old necchi. oh--my very first machine, too-a child's handcrank, brought to me by an air force cousin, all the way from hong kong. and it still lays down a nice chain stitch! i don't use them all, all of the time--but they are so lovely, and i love the feel of the history in them.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:37 AM

Let's see...2 Frister & Rossmanns (1 cabinet treadle, 1 hand-crank), 2 Singer 301's (1 longbed, 1 shortbed), Singer 401, Singer featherweight, PFaff industrial, Necchi BU, Singer 99, Singer 222, Singer 15-91, Viking, Janome Gem Gold, Bell, White, and 2 Free Westinghouses (1 portable, 1 featherweight-like). I wasn't purposeful in collecting - just as the opportunity presented itself. Love them all. 17 so far - Am I the winner?
Old 06-18-2011, 07:03 AM

Ladies, Thank You. I only have 6, I've got to keep working on catching up. HaHaHa
Old 06-18-2011, 07:21 AM

I have 5 vintage that need repair/service. I look at my featherweight( its heavy!!!)I use an inherited 301 and a 90's Kenmore,a Bernina 200 converted to 730, Babylock Imagine serger, and a BMP6 that my husband HAD to have. I'm dreaming of a Homesteader LA....maybe when we get our house sold......
Old 06-18-2011, 07:22 AM

I guess I must be the odd one out then, as I have way more than I will ever use. I purchased one Singer and a box of all kinds of attachments and books that went with it, and my husband bought all the rest of them-15-they came out of the MAFB school. I also have given 2 of those away. I have a 15-91, a FW that I love, 1 singer 233 stylist great machine, a Singer serger, a Juki industrial serger with table, a Brother industrial straight stitch with table, a Dressmaker, a White was MIL's, another little black one that I have misplaced at least 10 other singers that I have bought on auction or inherited from someone. I store some of these in a bus--dry, my big Brother industrial is at my other house can't bring it until dh gets addition on house or we remake the garage since we do not park a car in there. I also bought and gave to a dd a Sears Kenmore in cabinet for her to use. I know that I have a German machine somewhere in the house also. I have a two story with 4 bedrooms upstairs, and 2 downstairs. right now the one downstairs is my sewing computer room. My youngest is coming from WY to help rearrange stuff. Oh yeah, forgot a Singer treadle that my niece is supposed to come and get and never does. I also have a singer that a friend wants me to take and redo. Don't know how many there are actually in this house.