Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How many miles have you gone...

with my machine when it makes a different noise when it almost out of bobbin thread.

my machine tells me from when there is only 20% thread left on the bobbin then 12% then 5% , it is a feature I love.
    Cathy

My machine has an alert button which works sometimes (and it is not lint blocking the indicator). Then it stops and won't sew, but I just leave the door of the bobbin case open if I want to sew to the end. Other times it runs out without warning. There is no notable difference with different weight threads in the bobbin - one can never guess the amount that is left once the light flashes. On my old machine it was usually around 2 metres left.
    All of my other machines give no indication, so it is the look or guess method.

Power Poster
    Well not miles but enough distance to make me shake my head.

too many times. i am strip piecing away then realize my bobbin is empty. grrrr

I call it sewing air!!!!

I am so glad that i'm not the only person who sews for miles on an empty bobbin maybe if the machine would just stop I might wake up lol

Quote Originally Posted by Playtime7
    while sewing without thread? I swear yesterday I must have went through 3 bobbins while playing yesterday.... I wish my machine had an alert button on it like my embroidery machine does and tells me when the bobbin gets low. I remember one time reading that some gentleman used a bobbin as his spool of thread and that way both top and bottom would run out of thread at the same time. How many of you seem to go miles without thread?
    Came across this hint several years ago and still find it useful. After you attach your thread to the bobbin, run it for a second or two and stop. Take a permanent marker and color about six inches of the thread and then continue winding. the color gives you a heads up. It's not perfect cause sometimes I'm not paying attention but it does work.

Blog Entries
    I don't remember who it was that said they listen to their FW and can tell when the bobbin is low. I gave it a try and it works with my FW. I have to make myself concious of listening or I won't notice.

Quote Originally Posted by b.zang
    Those bobbin alerts would be really useful if they gave an estimate of how many inches of stitching were left - like my car does by letting me know how many kilometers I can drive with the fuel in the tank.
    I can see my bobbin, and it's like a game to see how close to the end I can sew. A perfect win is when the end of the bobbin thread comes up when I pull the fabric away at the end of the seam. :)
    I do the exact same thing. It beeps, I look, sew, look .... its like a game to get every penny out of that silly bobbin. LOL

I have sewed alot of blocks before I realized I was out of bobbin thread....

You know what they say... It's all fun and games til the bobbin runs out!

Thanks to all who responded.... will just have to put up with it until I buy my next machine... It was interesting to hear how many of you have alerts on your machines.. and fun to hear others going through the same thing as me... I am going to go quilt now... I will start with a full bobbin... :) Warm hugs.. Janet

Quote Originally Posted by Playtime7
    while sewing without thread? I swear yesterday I must have went through 3 bobbins while playing yesterday.... I wish my machine had an alert button on it like my embroidery machine does and tells me when the bobbin gets low. I remember one time reading that some gentleman used a bobbin as his spool of thread and that way both top and bottom would run out of thread at the same time. How many of you seem to go miles without thread?
    Gentleman? LOL er...If it was recently, in the last few weeks, I happen to be a lil ole lady of 81 JP

I hate bobbins! Lately it seems I always run out of bobbin just about 6 inches from finishing!

Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaLola
    I hate bobbins! Lately it seems I always run out of bobbin just about 6 inches from finishing!
    LOL Me too! I think that running out of thread on a bobbin or the only spool of that color is some kind of rule!
    Jeannie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    LOL! Many miles!!!!!!!
    Same here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2