Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many Prints Are Enough in a Quilt? >

How Many Prints Are Enough in a Quilt?

How Many Prints Are Enough in a Quilt?

Old 03-27-2019, 02:19 PM

Is 20 fabrics better than 10? Yes -- in a pattern designed around 20 fabrics. If you use only 10 fabrics in this pattern, you will have more repetition of prints and probably won't be happy with the result.

The more the better? I think this would apply to 'scrappy' quilts. Say I am making a pattern that calls for 4 different colors. I could use only 4 fabrics, or I could use 200 fabrics, 50 of each color. Will one quilt be better than the other? That is completely a matter of aesthetic taste. I can tell you that from across the room, the two quilts will look similar. It's up close that a large number of fabrics becomes a wonder to behold.

When I'm organizing my stash into projects, I collect the fabrics into a group and begin looking for a pattern that will work well for that group of fabrics. I would suggest you try this; if you collect a group of 10 fabrics that you love together, look for a pattern that calls for 10 fabrics. There are lots of free patterns on the various fabric manufacturer websites.

I agree that reading a few books on color/fabric selection for quilters would be helpful. Any book by the modern quilting duo Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr will have good insights on color and fabric selection, and Jinny Beyer has her own unique take on color. Her technique is to settle on a color palette for the quilt, and then choose additional fabrics by blending from one color to the next.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:59 PM

Considering everyone's input so far, I am examining my mind and thinking of the quilts that I have seen online, in books and magazines and I know that some of my favorites I've seen had some larger prints which were the focal point with other smaller prints to compliment. I seem to recall these designs had fewer prints. However they were particulaly stunning prints, so they were able to carry the quilt almost by itself.
I like this look, but then again I love the use of small 2 1/2" sqares used in
something like granny quilts. In that type of quilt I think the more the merry.

I have spent a lot of time studying quilts that I like and examining what it is about it that I like most. Is it the fabric, the design or the combination of the two. Of course it is the latter I am sure.

I think I do well at coordinating, but also think I have a tendancy to coordinate too much sometimes. I guess time will tell for me when I get some of my own collections together and see my outcome.

Last edited by Schill93; 03-27-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:40 PM

Another thing to consider when selecting a quilt pattern, is what is your piecing style. Do you work quickly or do you take your time? Do you want to challenge yourself or are you content with your abilities? Are you a perfectionist or a "good enough" quilter? Do you care how long it takes? How big is the project? Do you get bored when you make the same block over and over again? Selecting a quilt, that doesn't match your piecing-style increases the odds of it becoming a UFO.

Your piecing style will also develop and change with experience.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

That's a tough one to answer. You have gotten some good advice.
I've become addicted to pre-cuts! I want the whole line
Old 03-27-2019, 07:53 PM

I agree with all that has been said. My style is a controlled colorway, typically...maybe 3-5 colors (unless I'm going scrappy). however, I will have multiple prints of each color in the color way. And, I don't mix up fabric styles...for example, combining reproduction fabric print with modern print etc. but these are personal,preferences and pattern driven choices. That is what is so exciting about this craft....it's each crafter's creativity amd style. Stretch yourself and play...find your style and preference. I would love to roll around in your 2,000 yards of stash... Lol..
Old 03-27-2019, 08:06 PM

I love the selvage dot idea! I have referred to them for other things but never thought about using them for quilting combos. Thank you, Tartan.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:00 PM

I think you need examples to see for yourself.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610866[/ATTACH]

I made this pineapple a few years ago. I'd guess I used 25-30 different fabrics in it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610867[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pineapple1.jpg   pineapple2.jpg  
Old 03-27-2019, 09:04 PM

.....and another consideration is the recipient of the quilt if it is to be gifted: In that instance you need to consider their colour preferences, and their style. You need to consider what the quilt will be used for. For example I would not consider using a predominantly white or light shaded collection of fabrics for a quilt for my brother-in-law even though I may like those shades. A gifted quilt is made for someone with their essence and life kept in mind during the selection stage.
I actually have a massive collection of those little paint colour sample cards and I find them a great help for trying to match, compliment, or expand my colour ideas for a particular quilt. Every time my DH and I go to the local big name hardware store I nip into the paint department and grab a few more colour sample cards. I even give them to intended recipients of a quilt so they can more easily show me the colours and shades they want.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:20 PM

OK, my HO is... what they said. I'm learning about color theory and Light/ medium/ dark values as I go. I wanted to make the 1958 Kansas City Star Dogwood blossoms quilt after I saw an unfinished top in an auction. Still wish I'd bought it, lol. So, I made the first block when I was puzzling out the pattern, and then I found the pattern in a book.

Here's a pic of that first block, so you can see what I'm talking about.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]610865[/ATTACH]
Ok, good, pattern settled, on to fabric. Ohhh, that's a whole new hurdle. I decided if I made the whole quilt in only 2 colors, I'd get sick of sewing it, and probably end up with 2 colors I didn't want to see every day, because this is going to be a quilt for me, me, me! I bought a big lot of fabric at a local thrift store that was mostly 6 1/2" by WOF pieces, in a bunch of related fabrics. So, I've been making blocks in those fabrics, trying to chose ones that go nicely together, but provide enough contrast to show the pattern. So, some of the blocks are a light and a dark of the same color, like the lavender and purple one. Others are a print where the main color is dark, with the print in a lighter color, like the brown and blue one. It's going to be hard to get a yellow block that doesn't jump out of the quilt and smack the viewer upside da head, but I'm going to try. So, this is how I'm using my stash to learn about color theory.

Here's the current pic of the blocks I have finished so far:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]610868[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mystery-block.jpg   3-3.jpg  
Old 03-27-2019, 09:51 PM

That is a beautiful pattern themadpatter, and your choice of colorways is terriffic. It looks like a challanging pattern to make (with the curves) but I do love it. I am trying to see how you did that. I see the 16 patch in the center and the 4 patches on the ends, but those quarter square blocks and white background fabric sure have me guessing. Do you remember what book you found the pattern for it in?

Last edited by Schill93; 03-27-2019 at 10:00 PM.