Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilt blocks are in a bag of strings? >

How many quilt blocks are in a bag of strings?

How many quilt blocks are in a bag of strings?

Old 06-19-2018, 05:34 PM

Hi....I use a paper foundation, either phone book pages or plain newsprint. I like this as it keeps the strings straighter. I am using a 6 1/2 block as I have a square ruler this size and it makes for easy trimming to size after the block is full. I shorten my stitch length slightly and generally leave the paper on until it's time to sew the blocks together

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Looks like a real fun challenge. Are you using paper backing or some sort of light fabric like muslin for your foundation?
Just curious as I am going thru my scraps and can't decide if I want to do paper or muslin. If I use muslin, will I still use a light batting? Sounds like you have made many string quilts so you may have some good advice for me.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:03 AM

Such soft, sweet colors, the quilt will have to be beautiful!
Old 06-20-2018, 05:56 AM

I use thin muslin for my backing, cutting the squares 7 1/2 inches and cut them into 7 inch squares when done. I went to the auto and window glass near my home and had them cut them out of plexiglas--very reasonable. I'm not sure what width your strips are but I'm estimating seven strips will fill the block. I usually cut 3 or 4 inch squares, cutting them into triangles for the end pieces. When setting the blocks together, I use a 1/2 inch seam because I like to press the seams open. For me, making string blocks is addictive.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:16 AM

Have fun!

I will occasionally get some donated bags of scraps that coordinate also. I keep them together until I get in the mood to use them. It is amazing how many blocks can be made quickly when the strips are cut nicely. I usually make scrappy strip blocks with them too.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:20 AM

Thank you Judy for the information. I have seen Jenny Doan on MSQC us paper sheets that I believe were 10" squares and it looked fairly easy to sew on and then just tear off the paper so I was thinking about ordering a packet. I live in a small town and our phone books are quite small so that would not work and we don't get a newspaper so thought going with the MSQC sheets would be the way to go. And by the way they have free shipping today! Yeah!
Old 06-20-2018, 01:47 PM

I love doing string quilts too, but after I go to bed the strings in the bag breed & multiply!