Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilting books is "too many"? >

How many quilting books is "too many"?

How many quilting books is "too many"?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:02 PM

Books contain knowledge. Knowledge is good. You can never have too many books. (This from a woman whose parents were upset because as a kid, I spent all of my allowance at the bookstore.)
Old 01-19-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by farmer623
I have tons of books and regularly use them for inspiration or for instruction when I don't know how to do something. I love them all, even the ones my foggy brain has bought twice.
Oh, goodness, I thought I was the only one who did that. When I'm in Barnes & Noble or Books A Million, I just can't seem to remember which ones I've already bought, so I buy them twice.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Okay... I went from having a 2 shelf bookcase with quilt books/mags... to having the 2 shelf + another shelf underneath in my hidden storage area. That's about 26" x 3, in space. But then I see other sewing room pics, with 5 shelf bookcases stuffed with books! I love looking through them, and since I only occasionally do quilting... I have yet to make a quilt from even a 10th of the books I already have. But... BUT... BBBBUT - I want to go buy more books! lol....

Those of you who have large stashes of books... do you really make the quilts from them? Do you use them more for color or style inspiration? For fun reading???? Somebody help me justify my addiction!!!! (okay, thanks...!)
OK, don't beat me up folks but I have started reading through my quilt magazines, tearing out what I want to make and giving remainder to my ladies group or, yes, throwing them away! I put the pages in page protectors, then into notebooks.

I had to start doing this ... I was afraid not only that a shelf collapse under the weight but I was beginning to think my floor would collapse under the weight of all my books and magazines.

Some books I have 'grown out of'; translation - what was I thinking when I bought this book? I either sell or give these away or take to the used book store. Can't bear to throw away a book.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:38 PM

I have a lot of them, I LOOK AT ALL OF THEM OVER AND OVER. I would never give them up.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:01 PM

Another retired librarian here...I weeded my magazine collection last year because I thought perhaps others could benefit from magazines I was sure I wouldn't use. The books however I just couldn't let them go. The ones I use often are on shelves in my sewing room. I also keep some in our TV room because sometimes when DH and I are watching TV I enjoy looking through a quilting book to get some new ideas. To me, it is comforting being surrounded by quilts and books.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:15 PM

If it's an addiction, I need a therapy program!!! I will continue to buy books....there are never too many....they are an education as well as information and inspiration. Enjoy your books.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:16 PM

Oh my word! I just came home with FOUR MORE BOOKS!
Old 01-19-2011, 02:27 PM

When I was a girl the thing was comic books. If you had a box of "funnies" you would just sit down and read and be so happy. Quilting magazines and books are that way..and sharing them is fun too!
Heaven for big girls!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
Books contain knowledge. Knowledge is good. You can never have too many books. (This from a woman whose parents were upset because as a kid, I spent all of my allowance at the bookstore.)
Sounds similar to my childhood. I was a regular with an armload of books every week at the library. My parents had to make me put down my books and go out to play in the summertime- no lie! When I was in 6th grade the school librarian was a member of our church and she told my mom I was reading so many books she was going to run out of things to lend me. I still love all kinds of books and am thoroughly enjoying my new Kindle!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:29 PM

I belong to a group that had a 'book challenge' to make a quilt from each book that you own. needless to say I didn't join the challenge, LOL

If you've gone thru and decided you don't want to keep the books (first make scan and copy anything that you want to keep for future use) you can:

1. post them on paperbackswap ... check it out
2. donate them to your local quilt guild
3. share/swap with friends
4. donate to local library
5. sell on ebay, garage sale etc.
6. sell on yahoo group SewItsForSale no charge to sell any sewing/quilt related items but you do have to 'join
7. sell here http://www.quiltingboard.com/s-6-1.htm

I also have to purge some of my books, especially the older ones that no longer interest me.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA