Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many Are Self Taught? >

How Many Are Self Taught?

How Many Are Self Taught?

Old 02-09-2010, 08:42 AM

I sewed my own clothing as a teenager & my sister got me into quilting when I retired from teaching in 1996. My 1st quilts were from reading books & I remember an Eleanor Burns video. My sister insisted that I take a class & I found that I knew more than the quilting instructor "about teaching". There were girls in the class who did not even know how to thread a machine. Yet, we would just watch a demonstration & then were supposed to go home & make that "sampler" block on our own. I'm sure I was the only one who completed that quilt. So, when I later taught sewing at a sew ' vac shop, I would start beginners with a pot holder or baby/lap quilt so that I made sure they completed the whole process of making a quilt. Many of the books are so very well illustrated & you follow the directions - one step at a time - you will be fine.

My Quilt Class Sampler
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14479[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-14478.jpe   attachment-14479.jpe  
Old 02-09-2010, 08:45 AM

Never took a lesson, started quilting when Alex Anderson had Simply Quilts on HGTV. She had so many great people doing step by step, so I watched took note and did..To bad most of the quilt shows are gone now
Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 AM

Self-taught, but after spending hours playing with cousins under the quilt frame (hung from eye hooks screwed into the ceiling) at my grandmother's, I probably picked up a bit of instruction (and lots of community gossip. If we were quiet and still long enough, the moms/grandmoms would forget we were under there) --and I definitely got the quilting bug, but it didn't surface for several years. My grandmother had passed away by then. I know she would be proud of me though.

I want to go to one of those several-day workshops or maybe even go on a quilting cruise. Any advice on that?
Old 02-09-2010, 09:03 AM

Grandma taught me in the late 1930s, and I don't remember her
ever having a sewing machine.

I just found myself another tool, hunting through Michael's for a
Brother bobbin that they don't carry.

I discovered a neat little machine for about 30 dollars, a bobbin
winding help. Now I won't have to stop my sewing and take out
that almost impossible to thread needle thread and make up several
bobbins in the color I'm working on now.

Neat machine!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:09 AM

I got one of those "sidewinders," (bobbin winder) just last week. It was 30% off at Hancock's, and I'd been wanting one.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:20 AM

I started out on my own with no lessons but later in years I learned there were a lot I did not know, So I have taken Classes in Nashville, three times, and frommy quilt club. I do not waist as much material as I first did, and I had cardboard, templets, My Mother and Grandmother were quilters and hand quilted our quilts. I realy do love to quilt and give themto people that did not expect them.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:20 AM

My very first quilt was a friendship quilt, where several co-workers made blocks to share. We pieced them together in the arrangement of our choice. I did that on my own. Having watched Simply Quilts, I kinda knew my way around. (So I thought) Then I began buying books, watching more quilting shows (Alex, Georgia, Sue, and all the guests on those shows). Then I got into a few classes. And the rest is history. I still consider myself a beginner after 15 years.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:21 AM

Donna jean

wonderful quilts, great job.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:22 AM

donna jean,

I realy do like the sampler quilt , what is the pattern, for it.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:24 AM

I am also self taught started in 1981 and stopped for several years picked it back up...1990 and never stopped... have never taken a class... but I will this year ...I have been sewing each week with a group that sews quilt for soldiers and several of them are past teachers and have a lot of experience .i feel like I learn some new trick every week from them. It's been a year sewing with them. I am not sure I would be able to stay within the lines of a class but would like to try.