Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many? >

How many?

How many?

Old 10-04-2014, 07:16 AM

I have only made 7 quilts - I think because I've given them all away. Way I see it, a quilt can last more than a lifetime and when I'm gone they will still have the quilt and know that I made it for them with love. I know they use them, I see them in use and that makes me happy. If they get worn out and torn, I'll just make another.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:03 AM

I have made over 100 quilts and I have only two of mine. One because it was a 40th anniversary present to my DH, and the first one I ever made, which I turned into a bedspread rather than a quilt. I added a bed ruffle and some old eyelet lace, it is on the guest bed. Eventually I will make one for our master bedroom.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I don't have one of my own quilts, I have given them all away to either charities or family members. I did make myself one, but my grandson fell in love with it and I gave it to him. There is a picture of it here on the board it is called Rhythm and Blues by red rooster.

On the other hand, I have one that I got when my mom passed away. She was visiting in North Carolina and bought a Dresden plate from a lady there that looks like something from the seventies. I also have one that was from my father's family when he passed away. A scrappy Tennessee hard times style quilt that the fabrics look like from the thirties/fourties.

I have a fall lap quilt I won at a quilt show and a few runners I made that I display during the appropriate season and one small coffee wall hanging in the kitchen.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:03 AM

I have given away all but one lap quilt that I made out of floral scraps for myself.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:24 AM

I've kept two throw size quilts - one for my DH and one for me, and I felt guilty about keeping the one for myself! Oh, also a sampler wall hanging. I've made several dozen for Linus, at least 3 for my granddaughter, and a few others I've given to friends and family. I'm currently (still!) working on a Hunter's Star for my son and his girlfriend. It has 848 pieces in it so far!
Old 10-04-2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by HomekeepingGran View Post
How many in my own home? LOL, the answer is zero. I'm just beginning this new adventure in quilting.
WELCOME! Enjoy your new adventure because it lasts a lifetime! I had started quilting in the earlyl 70s but only made 2 quilts at that time. Didn't go back to quilting until the 90s. Made 3 quilts in the 90s. Then came 2010 and I haven't stopped since! Once you get hit by the "bug", you just keep on going ... whether it's a guilt, table runner, mug rug or bag. I wish you happiness along your journey!
Old 10-04-2014, 10:32 AM

I've made 30 or more quilts in the last 2 years, and have gifted all to family and friends...but I still have 50 or more of my moms and some of mine when I first started quilting and doing it all by hand...and enough fabric to make LOTS more...I love my hobby...
Old 10-04-2014, 10:46 AM

I've been making quilts for almost 5 yrs now and have one table runner and 3 quilts, all the rest I've given away or sold. Everytime I think I'm making a quilt for myself, one of my family members claim it. That actually makes me feel good and I'm happy that they all love and appreciate the quilts so much.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:48 AM

That's a great question! I actually have 5 quilts and 2 wall hangings in my home. Two of the quilts were made for my sister & mother. Mom's quilt was returned to me when she passed away. My sister's quilt was returned to me when she entered a nursing home (too big for her bed). I have since made my sister a lap quilt. We actually have matching quilts, as I made the same quilt in a twin size for myself. All the rest have been gifted and I am happy to say that they have all been received with love and are used! In 2011 I made 6 quilts for my cousin's 6 grandchildren. She lives in Long Island and in my conversation with her this week she mentioned how much her grandchildren love their quilts. They use them all the time when they are visiting her. So I know the quilts are doing exactly what I had hoped they would ... give joy and comfort. So by count, I have gifted 20 quilts since 2010, if I counted correctly... not counting quilted bags, mug rugs and table runners. I agree it's an addictive hobby, but I'd rather have this addiction than any other in the world!! It's a rewarding hobby, whether the quilt stays in your home or are gifted to someone. I know I'm not quitting ... as long as I can sew, I'll be quilting.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

I am not sure I know how many quilts are in my house; but I know that I have 2 king size quilts, both quilted on my domestic machine, well, when you don't know what you're doing, nobody can tell you that you can't, and the first one was 110 x 110 inches with pieced basket quilts set on point with sashing and 4 center medallion blocks with machine quilted round feathers. The other is a Key West block, named Keepsake Kaliedascope - the majority of the fabric was chosen in a trip to Keepsake Quilting with my husband, where he picked out 2 of the fabrics, then in my stash I had a piece of fabric with butterflies, grasses, etc. on a black background, which was supposed to be a blouse for me, but instead it wanted to be a quilt. I will never, ever make another one, far too many bias edges, made before I knew about using spray starch to make the fabrics behave, but it was for our 25th wedding anniversary, however it was finished 5 years later, and we celebrated our 45th anniversary last Feb. That's what I get for letting him entirely pick the pattern and the fabric, although teal and black are great colors. I probably have a dozen wall hangings for various holidays, if not more, 3 lap quilts, plus 3 more yet to be quilted, and many, many more. I've been trying, although not too successfully to take pictures of all my quilts and put them in a small photo album, along with pictures of about a dozen or more family reunion quilts, unfortunately, none in my possession, but the relatives that won them are happy with them. I do agree that quilting can be very addictive, but I do not want the cure.