Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How many of these Charity quilts do you do???

Blog Entries
    Expecting someone to do charity work because they quilt? Would you go to a restaurant expecting a free meal because they can cook?
    ​We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone.

Blog Entries
    I make pillowcases for the local hospitals. I would say I made about 50 pillowcases last year and I just this week I bought 33 yards of material to make more. I feel it is my duty to volunteer to help others and this is the least I can do.

I discovered Project Linus a few weeks ago and have completed 5 quilt kits plus one of my own for them so far. Also made a Mardi Gras quilt for my daughter's High School band silent auction. About to begin a t-shirt quilt for the school that I work for. All of my kids went through this school, and two of them were in the band here. I asked our band director back in August if he would ask each section (tubas, clarinets, percussion etc) if they would order one extra "section" shirt to donate to a t-shirt quilt. Hopefully I will get the last few shirts this week to begin the quilt. They are going to sell raffle tickets at their annual Spaghetti Supper concert fund-raiser. We have 230 kids in our band, so I'm hoping that our band makes $1000+ from the quilt raffle.

Power Poster
    Enjoy making quilts and pillowcases for different groups. It just seems it is the thing to do. Make quilts for soldiers, pillowcases and Christmas stockings for children in the hospital, and now for hospice patients. My family is grown and made each of them at least one and probably 2 quilts so with time on my hands, like to make quilts for people who will use them. I am blessed and need to give back.

I have been making small (18"x18") quilts for "Threads of Love". They make kits for premies, whether they survive or not. Kits include cards, journals, hand made clothing, and either a small quilt or crocheted or knitted blanket. One man even makes caskets for those who do not survive. They may put more than the items mentioned in the kits. I wouldn't know, as I'm not involved in making up the kits. I just make the little quilts and give them to my neighfor who is a member of the organization. As to how many I've made, I don't know - dozens.
    Happy quilting Grandma

I make quilts for Project Linus each month, amount varies, and I make tote bags from recycled jeans and the money goes to our local food banks.
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

I've made at least 30 quilts and anonymously mailed them to our local fire department. I don't have the need to be known...but it makes me very happy to know that they are handing them out to children who have lost everything. We are a very small town with a volunteer department...word gets around...I know the guys love being able to give them out and the children cherish them, Good enough for me!

Blog Entries
    I would do it for you - PM me please. Do you remember which organization? and does it have to stay in Oregon? If so, I'm not there!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    I'll just do my sewing and quilting for other people. And I do plenty for other folks. And NO ONE can make me leave MY church.
    What I got from that comment was to leave the quilting group, not the church itself. If they are going to insist that the quilts be hand quilted, I'd either find another cause, or quietly machine quilt my quilts and hand them directly to the pastor or whomever gives them out. But that's just me, I can be a rabble-rouser sometimes. Lol.

I admire all of you who are able to do charity quilts and wish to someday be able to do so myself. I just started quilting about a yr ago and have finished quilt #2 and am quilting on #3. My goal is to complete a quilt for each of my 2 son's, daughter's in law, and three grand kids. My first went to my husband. When I have done that, then I will feel able to do charity quilts. As I hand quilt, work a full time job, and have a husband that isn't well, it takes a long time to complete just one quilt, so it will be sometime before I can contribute. I don't feel guilty about it, but do wish I had more time.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

I have worked on charity quilts because I love to quilt and run out of places to give to, not good enough to sell, and just like to give. I love the binding so I finished up about 12 quilts last year, none this year.
    Jo

I give between 25 and 30 baby quilts along with 5 to 7 afghans to the local charity that helps young girls that need help with having a baby. This is by 7th year of doing this

I make doll quilts for Head Start in Iowa Illinois quad cities, Quilts of Valor, charity quilts, baby quilts, anything and everything I can do to help. I love it. I wish I could see the people who receive them but that isn't possible. I cut out over 600 6X10 tumbler blocks for our guild for Quilts of Valor and we made 22 tops in a day with rookies. I loved doing it and love to give things that will comfort and warm others. I only wish I had more time to sew, 24 hours a day would be nice but my house would really be a mess. A hoarder of fabric. Do want you want and feel you can.

I make one a year.

Blog Entries
    I got a Gammill a little over a year ago and have done almost 30 quilts for a group. I have 23 or 24 done and the rest are on the calendar to be done by 12/31!!! Once these 30 are done, there won't be any more for 2012 - I want to work on some of my own quilts. I have been happy to do them, they give me tops and bottoms and pay for the batting and I get the practice!

I will not do as many next year --- I will commit to doing one a month for them for free and if they want more done, then they will need to pay a little for it. I don't do longarm quilting as a business (yet) but I do feel my time is worth something.

I sew with some ladies at our local quilt shop and they are always doing quilts for charity and there have been a few times when I have felt a little guilty about not helping them, but I never say yes unless I really want to do a project. Maybe if I do less for the other group next year, I can do a couple for the group closer to home.

I personally try to make 3 or 4 quilts a year for a charity - it just makes me feel good - and there are so many quilts and so few family to give them to that charity is a good option for me. I just finished a baby quilt top today (it cost me $2 for the kit at a yard sale - the kit was from Connecting Threads) and it will go to charity when it is finished because I don't know anyone having a baby anytime soon.

My kids got me an AccuQuilt Go for my birthday this week and I see a lot of my stash being cut up - more quilts - where shall they go - more charity quilts for 2013! I can hardly wait - already have one cut out and half way finished.

But ... whoever signed up you for a charity quilt without your knowledge should be ashamed of themselves! I agree, send it back with a note.

Blog Entries
    My quilt guild makes twin sized quilts for wounded troops in an American military hospital in Germany. The 9 patch blocks are designed by the public at community events then we quilters assemble, quilt, bind and label the quilts. The American Red Cross ships the quilts for us. Most of the fabric is donated but we do buy the batting and some backings. To date, we have shipped nearly 500 quilts of which I have long arm quilted 314. While I am getting a little weary of doing all that quilting, I do believe in this project and will most likely continue to do so as long as there is a need.

Suz
    Ann, thank you for putting your kills to work for our soldiers. You are to be congratulated for your dedication to this wonderful project and the time and effort you have put into it. I have been making QOVs for over five years, making 50 quilts a year from start to finish. I too, get weary, but the price these soldiers are paying is so much greater than the time it takes me/you to show our appreciation. As you realize, the need is great, and I commend you on your achievement. Thank you. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I have never (shame on me) made a quilt for charity. About one week ago, I got a package in the mail and inside is a pre-cut quilt. It says to sew it together and send it back by the end of the month. I don't know why I received this. I didn't sign up for it and don't want to do it. Does anyone want this? I will mail this to you free of charge. I think someone put my name in for this without my permission. It upset me that someone did this without my knowledge or consent. They don't know my workload or lifestyle. I am planning on sending it back with a note saying it was sent as a mistake.

I know, I should make one, but my plate is full right now and I couldn't get it done at the end of the month even if I wanted to. So, if anyone wants it, pm me. Otherwise, I'm sending it back. I'm planning on making some throws for the home down the street in our town of 800 people. They are counting on me for that. And that is not for a little while yet. I have a busy schedule right this minute.
    Have you heard from someone who wants this yet? My quilt guild chapter makes about 85 charity quilts a year, and I do about a dozen. I would love to have something like this, but I would donate it within my community, not send it back to whoever sent it to you. Let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by jaly3162 View Post
    I make pillowcases for the local hospitals. I would say I made about 50 pillowcases last year and I just this week I bought 33 yards of material to make more. I feel it is my duty to volunteer to help others and this is the least I can do.
    I have no idea how many pillowcases I've done in the last few years. Three-------make that 3----------are still in MY house. The rest were gifts or prizes or donated. I've got fabric for maybe a dozen more in a blue tub.

I need to sew 27 hours a day to get some stuff done.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by annrook View Post
    My quilt guild makes twin sized quilts for wounded troops in an American military hospital in Germany. The 9 patch blocks are designed by the public at community events then we quilters assemble, quilt, bind and label the quilts. The American Red Cross ships the quilts for us. Most of the fabric is donated but we do buy the batting and some backings. To date, we have shipped nearly 500 quilts of which I have long arm quilted 314. While I am getting a little weary of doing all that quilting, I do believe in this project and will most likely continue to do so as long as there is a need.
    I like your community effort 9 patches. Sounds like a great idea to get the public involved AND AWARE!
    U N T I E

I try to make 3-4 quilts a year to donate, plus I help out at 2 Project Linus work days a year. I would love to be able to do more, but with working full time, and other obligations, this is all I can commit to at this time. Someday when I am retired, I will do more.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    What I got from that comment was to leave the quilting group, not the church itself. If they are going to insist that the quilts be hand quilted, I'd either find another cause, or quietly machine quilt my quilts and hand them directly to the pastor or whomever gives them out. But that's just me, I can be a rabble-rouser sometimes. Lol.
    There is NO quilting group. It's ME! I guess I wasn't clear. I don't machine quilt, the quilts have been sent out and this last one will too. I get tons of verbal abuse from members of the church about how the quilts ought to be done. Attacks on ME because no one in our church wants to hand quilt nowadays. Believe me, the old quilting crew has done beautiful work in the past-----------but they're getting up in years and want some time for themselves-------------and a couple ill husbands.

And I guess I wasn't clear about most of my quilting has been for other people. Always within our community. I don't need to find other causes------------I've got more than enough other causes.
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I also am on our guilds charity quilt committee, you can make what ever you wish. We don't exspect a certin amount. if you have fabric you would like to use us then a charity quilt is the way to go. Our guild has done well over 250. And there are some ladies that don't make them.

I have people that like to put the top together and I would rather quilt them. so that works out the best. Just do what you want. Anything is appreciated.
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

I do about 2 quilts for charity a year for a local child care center. They auction off the quilts and they end up making a bit more than what the quilt costs (I give an approximate cost for me to do the quilt to the director, so she marks up the auction a bit). Instead of sending out quilts to out-of-state charity groups, I now donate locally.

Quote Originally Posted by acjacques View Post
    I do about 2 quilts for charity a year for a local child care center. They auction off the quilts and they end up making a bit more than what the quilt costs (I give an approximate cost for me to do the quilt to the director, so she marks up the auction a bit). Instead of sending out quilts to out-of-state charity groups, I now donate locally.

I feel a lot better donating locally. We have a need here----------so I donate here.
    U N T I E

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast