how many UFO's do you have now?

how many UFO's do you have now?

Old 03-17-2019, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

I'm sure I have more than 50... the underbed storage bag is bulging! LOL
Old 03-17-2019, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

Oh no, are you going to make me count?

I have at least 5 or 10 or maybe even more!
Old 03-17-2019, 04:55 AM

Well let’s see! It depends on how you define it! I have 3 that are in different stages of work. One is sort of pushed aside and I am not sure I will ever finish it. The other 2 are in work right now. I am also hand quilting a lap quilt. I have 2 completed tops I will someday take to the LAQ but one is a scrap quilt I am not sure about. It may be a donation. The other is “Prairie Wedding” and will be a gift for a family member when needed.

I also kit patterns from my stash so I can just go get one when I want to start a new quilt and I have at least 40 mini quilt kits. I usually make a mini every weekend.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:59 AM

Three being pieced but they are on hold until I get at least six of the 14 completed tops quilted. I Half finished the first one yesterday. I am a beginner and can never figure out how to quilt them but I have resolved to do mainly all over simple designs and just get them done.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:09 AM

T-o-o-o-o-o many! I had a period of recuperation from an illness when I could piece, but didn't have the energy to quilt, so I pieced and pieced....and stacked and whacked....and now? Oh my!
Old 03-17-2019, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

I have 3 to quilt right now.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:27 AM

Do I have to count? I don't want to know.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:30 AM
bj

I don’t have any UFO’s. I am a huge procrastinator. If I let myself have one, I’d have 10 by the end of the week! So I finish one before I start another. Sometimes they’re WIP’s for awhile though. I’ve been refurbishing my current project for about 8 months. Not because it’s labor intensive but because I’m not enjoying the process.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

most definitely over a dozen. i quit counting!
Old 03-17-2019, 06:19 AM

I have quite a few tops waiting to be quilted (somewhere over a dozen), but I don't count those as UFOs -- those are completed tops even if they aren't quite quilts yet. My joy is in the design and piecing part of the process.

I have three projects in process. One is still being cut. One needs the blocks to be laid out again (they are already numbered) for the border sections to be arranged and the rows assembled. One needs to be laid out and then sashed and assembled, I'll probably be cutting out the sashing for that today. I do have a baby quilt waiting to be bound, but I hate handwork and usually take those to my small group... My hubby is home sick and my house is small, I do most of my layout on the queen sized bed so no layout projects for me today.

I have a couple projects planned but not yet started, other than the fabric collecting which again I don't count. I mostly work with scraps and charms and it can take years sometimes to get enough fabrics. But it is true I am ready to cut/start two of those, my Christmas String project, and my snowy January quilt which will be a sampler of 9 large lone stars, each made of different snowflake fabrics in blue and white, I'll make the stars more like snowflakes and not like radiating arcs of color.

So the closest thing I have to an UFO I am still considering as "in progress" but I haven't worked on it in months. I keep meaning to, but I just haven't been feeling it. Part of the purpose of this project is paper piecing and I just haven't been pushing myself to work on this not so familiar technique. It is a farm quilt, rather contemporary instead of my typical traditional style and will be embellished with buttons and appliques and other such things. It will have a few pieced blocks, the Barn unit is done. I'm still planning on paper piecing some more, a horse and pig heads, a mama chicken, some chicks, hummingbirds, couple of others. Then the rest of the quilt will be larger pieces of fabric being fields and such. The bottom third or so will be crops grown in Washington, so there will be potatoes but no pineapples! There will be some roads between the fields with tractors or whatever. The cabbage fabric will have little bunny buttons hiding in there in the end. The middle third will be the farm animals, again various largish pieces of fabric with pigs, cows, sheep, chickens, etc. The top third will be the barn block (it's an original barn with a silo, the block is maybe 15x20"), the tiny paper pieced hummingbirds and the horse pastures. Above that will be a pond and wild ducks and geese and sky, to the one side I'll try for some distance perspective and use some farm prints for off in the distance. The quilt will be all over edge to edge quilted with a simple chicken wire design.

For decades I was very good about completely finishing each quilt until I decided that a top counted on it's own. I don't sew every day but I try to, schedule and health permitting. I've have small groups to go to and I need something portable for that, that barn quilt is not portable -- at least not the way I work. So I try to have a couple of things in progress that I can take.

From being on boards and in discussions, I think some of you are way too hard on yourselves on what is an UFO -- some people practically consider keeping a magazine with a picture of a quilt that they like as an UFO! I'm a big believer in having fun while I quilt, even though some parts of the process can be tedious. All I can say is when you determine that no, for whatever reasons you aren't going to finish a project, get rid of it! Yes, just in whatever condition it is, you don't have to finish it. I was at a quilt show yesterday and the guild booth had a UFO section with all sorts of projects in various stages, and a bin of orphan blocks for $0.50 each or something like that.