Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many years did you spend stocking up on fabric before retirement? >

How many years did you spend stocking up on fabric before retirement?

How many years did you spend stocking up on fabric before retirement?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:29 PM

i used to buy fabric thinking I was building a stash or fabric that I can't live without. But then there was never enough, it was always a bit short. Once and a while I was able to find it and use it. But now I buy with a quilt in mind. I do a lot of "I SPY" for kids and the basic Patchwork for Halloween and Christmas. But I won't buy fabric unless there is a use in mind.

I did buy my expensive sewing machines before retirement. Such a major investment, wanted to get something I wanted and not settle for a lesser model and be sure I could pay it off before retirement.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:34 AM

now you start on batting+threads+machine needles---anything you would feel guilty about spending your pension on!!!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 View Post
You might want to start buying the staples of quilting before retirement - rulers, mats, rotary cutters, etc. because they are so expensive.
I agree here!! I retire in about 2 weeks and this is what I have been doing!!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:21 AM

As retirement gifts from co-workers, I received several gift certificates to various quilt shops - heaven!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:30 AM

I think 40 years of stashing ought to do it....
Old 09-04-2012, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
It took me an entire lifetime to get enough.....now my goal is not to die until I have used it all....
That's what I always say - I am 74 (well, I will be in 15 more days) and retired, if housewives ever retire and I don't have enough yet. I am not buying that many fat quarters anymore, but I do buy fabric on a really good sale table and then I get 2-3 yards of it. I have a bookcase by my sewing area that has piles of folded fabric and I love to look at it! Gad, we are weird aren't we???????? But we love it!!! Edie
Old 09-04-2012, 04:27 AM

I think it is good advise to stock up on the $$. I started about 2 yrs. before I retired. I bought an expensive serger, and any rulers or tools I thought I would need. As for fabric, I looked for sales, but often only bought a yard. I wish I had purchased at least 2 yds. of fabrics that I loved. I now find myself with a decent stash, but did not spend enough time stocking up on batting and neutrals! Most of the neutrals I stocked up on were off white, so now I find I do not have enough white-on-white neutrals.
So, my advice is similar to the others, stock up on expensive items, batting, and neutral colors starting now. Save $ and buy your pattern fabrics as you start your projects, because the new fabrics that come out will always catch your eye!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:36 AM

I would add a couple of battings, but that would be it. I would start a "cash stash"!!!!!! fabric changes, likes change, skill changes. You will have more time to go to quilt shows, maybe take a "quilter's weekend", take lessons, upgrade your machine, fall in love with laq, and all this takes cash. Within a couple years of retirement, Instead of buying another pair of shoes, or dress, or whatever you "need" for work, put that cash into the stash. Ask for gifts of "stash cash", every penny goes into that "stash". It will give you the "little cushion", so that you don't deplete your operating budget. I stocked up on threads, but now I only use 100% threads, I have yards and yards of fabric that I will never use from my stash - my skills and quilting likes have changed. Rulers are constantly being added to changed, everything evolves. Be selective, prepare the $$$$, you will have time to shop, and explore the quilting world!!!

Last edited by nhweaver; 09-04-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:37 AM

I did not start quilting until I retired. I am having to build a stash.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:58 AM

How true, how true! I may have to go back to work to afford my retirement!