Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many years did you spend stocking up on fabric before retirement? >

How many years did you spend stocking up on fabric before retirement?

How many years did you spend stocking up on fabric before retirement?

Old 09-04-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 View Post
I did not start quilting until several years into retirement, but my mom and I had both been garment sewers for our whole lives and that and denim blue jeans and old clothes was what I started quilting with. I still am not a dedicated LQS fabric quilter. I buy wool garment and cotton prints at thrift stores, for instance. I'm not sure it is a good idea to 'stock up' on fabric unless it is very generic. I have found my sense of color has changed a lot over the years. You would not believe how much mauve floral fabric I have! Yuck! You might want to start buying the staples of quilting before retirement - rulers, mats, rotary cutters, etc. because they are so expensive.
Terrific advice! Buy the tools of quilting now and buy the fabric when you actually begin.....with all that money you've stocked up!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:51 PM

I am not one to "stock up" as I love to shop for all the new fabrics! I have some fabric I have had for 3 years that I absolutely love, but I wouldn't want a whole lot more that is that old. My quilting friends and I love to check out the new fabric and different LQS's. I have a stash from leftovers mostly. It's not like you can't go shopping when you retire!! You will figure out what works for you. Enjoy!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
It took me an entire lifetime to get enough.....now my goal is not to die until I have used it all....
thats avery good goal, I'm hoping to do the same thing
Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 PM

What a wonderful thread reading all the different ways people collect their fabrics and when they started planning for retirement. I started quilting in the early 80's with a pair of scissors, a pencil, a cardboard template and a used sewing machine. I made a queen size quilt like my grandmother did. And I never sewed. I have collected fabric since then but only small pieces so now I can make great scrap quilts. I still love to sort through it and look at it and love finally having my own sewing room after so many years. I practice new things on fabric that was bought years ago. I call them my practice quilts. Smart idea to buy a good sewing machine and batting before retirement. I think I will do that! And of course stash cash!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:10 AM

I've been retired for 4 years now and I'm still stocing up.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Maribeth View Post
I have read on here several times about how many of you have written that you are stocking up on fabric for retirement. When will or did you retire and for how long did you stock up? I am asking because I am now under five years for retirement eligibility and want to know if it is time to really start to stock up. As opposed to the 1000 or so yards I have purchased in the last three years while I perfected the shopping part of quilting, lol.
I started to really get serious about accumulating my stash, mats, cutters, rulers, thread and mt new sewing machine and tables 5 years before I retired. I still buy fabric but in lesser amounts.......love to quilt, love the guild I joined and love this board
Happy retirement
Old 09-05-2012, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
I don't understand why people do this yrs. ahead & planning to use it in retirement. Our tastes chg. so much. Fabrics become out of style. Newer & better things come along.
Unless you're retiring in the next yr. or two, I don't understand the need to stock up for the future.
I used to make my kids clothes so when I come across fabric I didn't use, it's is the type that requires heavy ironing. The new stuff is so much nicer & I don't use any of the old stuff. Just something to think about.
I did it because retirement usually spells a very "limited income"!!!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:59 AM

I've just started my LARGE collection and I'm not retiring for several years! What exactly does "retirement" mean? Living on a farm, so much to do inside and outside, I don't see the word "retirement" in any sentence for my future! My great-grandmother warned me, when one stops working or moving, one starts to fall apart..so I think I will avoid "retirement" until I have no choice at all! I will collect material as long as I can see it - still thread a needle - and handle scissors safely!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
I buy only for each project. I slightly overbuy so I have some room for error. Leftovers are accumulated until I have enough for a scrappy quilt. Then it is all cleared out again. Easier that way. So many people overbuy and end up selling or tossing fabric or are overwhelmed by what is in their quilt rooms. I have just what I need. Also, if I move away from quilting for a while, it doesn't bother me. I don't feel obligated to constantly quilt because I am drowning in expensive fabric.
You are very wise. I am one of those drowning in fabric and do feel overwhelmed. I wish I would have started out much, much slower. I jumped in head first!!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:31 AM

I have not intentionally built my stash for retirement.. as I have no plans or see retirement in the next decade. I have collected enough stash to accupy my time if I retired tommorrow. What can I say but "stash happens".