Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you find that quilting is a therapeutic outlet?

Blog Entries
    Quilting keeps me sane - unless it drives me crazy, but then I get to practice patience and impulse control. lol

I have just learned quilting, but have always loved to sew. I enjoy going in 'my room', and getting away from it all too..it is a stress reliever, I have 2 wire fox terriers, and when I am sewing, they play there, and love it in that room. I have learned though, right off the bat, that when I get tired, I stop, otherwise, I make mistakes.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm a creative person and when I don't have things to create, craft, write about, or escape to I get very moody and hard to live with. Love my new (since Aug '09) quilting stress release. I redid my craft/sewing 'studio' room and now love it in there.

I too find it therapeutic. It challenges my mind to put everything else down for awhile. I can instead concentrate about lining things up, matching seams, focus on the grain of fabric, layout of design etc. I just need to find my next project! Here lately I've gotten my fix by playing with scraps and testing out all the new stitches on my machine. :) I also find that I don't have to take as much pain medication when I sew, provided I don't sit for too long at a stretch. When my mind is in a good place, I find that so is the rest of my body.

Blog Entries
    Yes yes yes it is....very much so.

I agree completely. I can quilt upstairs in my loft and not realize that I haven't even eaten lunch. And believe me, I like my food. I find it so relaxing; my thoughts just seen to drift away from the stressful things in my life. My only problem is that I don't keep track of time, unless I have to, and I just want to stay all day and keep going. I am attending, for the first time, a quilters weekend from friday through sunday with quilting all days. I can't wait to go. We do this through our quilting group and two of my friends and I are sharing a room. I never thought I could sit and quilt for an entire weekend but I now realize how much I want to do this and how fast the time will go. Good to know someone else loves this as much as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    As opposed to just a "fun" thing to do? I know, for myself, that I need to have some creative hobby to "escape" to. Going into the right brain shuts off all the stuff I don't want to deal with (family situations). I originally was interested in quilting just for the fun of it, but now I crave sitting at the sewing machine or searching/reading here, or surfing other quilting related info (and buying books! :lol: ) - it just keeps life light! How about you?
    I couldn't agree more, naturalmama!
    Psychiatrists and mental health ppl, reccommend quilting/crafting...hobbies, all the time. It is KNOWN to be a wonderful stress reliever.
    Your right, you can escape to the 'right' side and leave all the 'headwork' thinking, outside your area.
    Just lead me to my machine and fabrics and let me get in the zone. I'm off to a brighter world, where it's all good and happiness abounds.
    The possibilities are only limited by my imagination. I can travel the world and back by fabric etc.
    I can make stuffy toys and dream of birthdays for wee ones, or Christmasy daydreams and all the shared love from Nana! ahhh! thanks for asking...was a little trip of goodness, right there!:wink:

Blog Entries
    I spend most of my day quilting. It has gotten so bad thaT i HAVE A BACK PROBLEM. I have so many ideas that I just keep writing down. I love creating. It's just the right side of the brain. Nothing else matters. Everything disappears.
    carol gross

I have to agree that quilting helps me with stress. Ruth

Blog Entries
    I am a Pastor's wife and under a lot of stress like everyone else. I look forward to my time in my sewing room. I also love to sit and hand quilt at night after a long day at hospitals and other visiting. Quilting is a comfort to me.

I am addicted to it....If I don't sew every day, something, every day - even if it is just one block or two, I get a little cranky. It is a stress reliever for me as well, those of you who may have seen my 'chat' awhile ago understand. I find that these block swaps are great for my mind to focus on other things. I am always doing 'tester' items for my friends - check book covers, little draw-string bags, and the latest is a rolling placemat for work that will hold silverware. Since I have a pretty good stash, and lots of scraps, I have a nice selection of fabric in which to choose from.

If everything is going right and my stitches are half way decent, I love it, especially if I can watch television at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    As opposed to just a "fun" thing to do? I know, for myself, that I need to have some creative hobby to "escape" to. Going into the right brain shuts off all the stuff I don't want to deal with (family situations). I originally was interested in quilting just for the fun of it, but now I crave sitting at the sewing machine or searching/reading here, or surfing other quilting related info (and buying books! :lol: ) - it just keeps life light! How about you?
    I absolutely agree! When my brother died several years ago, all I could do was quilt. I just didn't have enough hours in the day for all the quilting I felt I needed to do. It helped me get through a very tough time.

I love to put on my music CD's and sit and sew for a few hours each day. I am teaching myself, with the aid of DVD's, to Free Motion Quilt, so when the music is over, I put on a DVD and practice that for a while. I do my hand applique at night while watching TV with my other half. I am finally retired and can do my sewing when I want to. I do a lot of charity quilts so that is when I do most of my regular sewing. Gotta run, the machine is calling me.

I love to sew when things get overwhelming. Seems I never have 'me' time - we homeschool and I'm with the kids ALL the time - but when I sit and sew they usually go off and do their own thing - this morning they baked cookies!! And they were good!! :) I love my children and am so thrilled to have the chance to be home with them and we don't have any MAJOR issues - just need 'me' time... love it.

I feel the same way. I lost my job over a year ago and have not been able to find another one yet. It is very healing. I love fabric and colors and putting them together. I love learning new things. (I am new to quilting). Quilting is like taking a mini-vacation away from reality.

Your quilt is beautiful

I agree with everyone sewing and quilting is a big stress releaser for me. I am often asked what I think about when I am sewing or quilting and to tell you the truth I don't know I guess I go in fairy land I have no worries at the time.My husband tells me sometimes he knows something is bothering me when I spend alot of time in my sewing room and when I come out I seem to be more relaxed

Quilting lets me go away to my "happy place". I just wish I had more time to devote to it. Life gets in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Yes, it is a great stress reliever...it allows me to go away to my "happy place" :D:D:D
    DITTO!

Definitely is therapy for me. I could sew for hours and know that you can create some beautiful quilts. I get so engrossed in the sewing I forget what time it is. Always look forward to the next quilt to make.

For me it is a stress reducer. My job is extremely stressful, some days more than others. Looking at my design board where I have my latest project "on hold" is even therapeutic and brings a smile to my face. When I was about 15 or so, I took a test of my skills/interests etc. ... and (according to the test) was very artistic. I never saw that side of myself until I started quilting. I can't draw my way out of a paper bag... but I can create quilts...that others (especially non-quilters) enjoy looking at and wondering how it was made. I love the challenge of learning something new and playing at quilting. When it becomes work... it's no longer stress reducing..so it's important to me to play play play... which means I don't stick to patterns...and I experiment a lot. :lol:

Naturallmamma... what is a crumb block?!?

This is a crumb block: http://www.quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml

Only I will be sewing 4 of my 6" blocks together and possibly sashing between them - and I'm thinking that someone may have called that something other than a crumb, but it's close!

Banned
    I think it is for me because as soon as I walk into my studio it is a time warp and I am back in the early 1900's.

The world seems to stop around me and all I have is my project, my treadle, and which ever machine I choose to use on the project. Just the sound of my Vibrating Shuttle machines and the sounds of the treadle working relaxes me.

Top it all of with some ambient music and life is good!!

Billy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast