Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine? >

How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

Old 03-16-2011, 12:46 PM

Just curious - with so many quilting on regular machines - do any of you do it as a business quilting on a regular machine?
Old 03-16-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by MIJul
I do. I have a Pfaff and the built in "even feed" foot makes all the difference. My previous machine was a Janome, which I loved, but I had to attach a special foot and it never worked all that great. A long arm machine is on my wish list for when I retire from my full time day job, and I'm trying to save the money to be able to buy one then. Until then, I'll machine quilt with pleasure using my Pfaff.
MIjul, which Pfaff model do you have?
Old 03-16-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by EverNow
I've read all the posts and the one thing no one mentions is the traditional quilting challange of hand quilting. I use my sewing machine only for pieacing. The quilting I do by hand. I know it's a long process but gives more personal satifaction and pride in your perfect stitches. I don't admire machine quilted quilts. They may be pretty but to me they have no soul.
I can and do hand quilt - in fact that was how I started quilting. I was responding to the question asked by the author of this thread... Sometimes I even combine both hand and machine quilting on the same piece. I don't agree that one has more 'soul' than the other. I have heard ppl apply this same criticism to machine piecing. I'm sorry but your comment is insulting to the many immensely talented freehand machine quilters on here, both by domestic machine and long arm. :-)
Touche! If the women who quilted in the 20s and 30s had the opportunity to machine quilt, they would have done it in a heart beat and loved it! Time was very precious to those women who did not have the modern conveniences we now have. A machine that quilted! Woohoo!!! I doubt there would have been as much hand quilting. Life evolves and we use the tools that we have. If not, we could still be eating with our fingers. LOL
Old 03-16-2011, 01:49 PM

I have used my Bernina 200 to quilt a queen size quilt, but you really have to work with the bulk of the quilt.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:03 PM

I have a new Bernina 820 and I am going to give it a try.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:04 PM

I quilt with my own machine.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:08 PM

I can't afford a long arm so I just use my regular sewing machine or hand stitch. I do pretty good with the machine stitching. It takes me a while to get a quilt hand stitched.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Evie
Yep, do my quilting on my Singer -- straight lines with attached walking foot and FM with darning foot. Largest was a twin 75 x 90. Oh, that was a struggle through that small harp! :x
Yup, same here; my lil ole Singer. I have done full and queen size quilts on it, but it was a struggle. Just need a lot of patience & practice. The large quilts I do in quadrants. "Someday" maybe I'll have a mid-arm...
I also do hand quilting or will mix hand & machine.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:27 PM

I want to learn FMQ, but I don't know how to drop the feeddogs. I have a Fleetwood machine that is over 50 years old and still sews great. I also have a Singer that my daughter gave me that is a much later model. Much later!
Can anyone help me with the feeddogs?
Old 03-16-2011, 02:30 PM

Not all sewing machines can drop the dog feed. I have a Brother and it has a switch in the back that slides over. I also have an older Singer 125 (made in 1953) and there's a large screw of sorts under the machine that I can turn to lower or raise the feed dogs. You can buy a plate to cover the dog feed for some machines. You ought to google your machines and see what it says about them.

Originally Posted by luce321
I want to learn FMQ, but I don't know how to drop the feeddogs. I have a Fleetwood machine that is over 50 years old and still sews great. I also have a Singer that my daughter gave me that is a much later model. Much later!
Can anyone help me with the feeddogs?