Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine? >

How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

Old 03-15-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
I do. Check out books by Diane Gaudynski and Harriet Hargrave from your library. Both ladies are very informative about the ins and outs of quilting on a home machine. And have fun!
Harriet Hargrave was the speaker at our last guild meeting. She brought some of her quilts, all quilted on a domestic home sewing machine. they were beautiful!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:35 PM

I have a long-arm on my wish list, but in the meantime, I quilt everything on regular domestic sewing machines.

My favorites are the 15-91's from the 1940's - more room than any other of my machines. But, the Kenmores from the 1950's and 1970's are really good for FMQ, too. The Lady Kenmore has the smallest area under the arm, but even so, she managed a queen or king sized quilt. :)
Old 03-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Largest one I have done was a double bed on my Janome using SID and outline quilting. I did use a walking foot. I started it 1 week after I got out of the hospital after having mastectomy and reconstruction and finished it in 2 weeks. I felt like it played a huge part in my recovery because it kept my arms moving (wrestling) the quilt and made the recovery quicker. The surgeon said she had never seen anyone get as well as fast. The quilt was a wedding for my nephew. I was very happy with it. I'm not a very good FMQ'er however course if I practiced it would help, lol.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:47 PM

I've been machine quilting with STID, straight, or decorative stitching using my 1956 Singer 403. Largest quilt I've done this way was 60"x60". I recently acquired a 1948 Singer 15-91 that I am going to use to learn & use exclusively for FMQ. It has feed dogs that drop, a vertical bobbin and a larger harp area.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:51 PM

I use my brother machines to quilt but nothing bigger than a baby/crib size so far. I have done/doing quilt-as-you-go on my brother with the decretive stitches, and have tried free motion with another block - that one is a wip/ufo though wasn't too happy with my skills.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

I've only done about 10 or so quilts, but I quilted them all on my domestic machine. I did most of them, including my avatar which is a queen, using a quilt as you go method. I've seached and discovered at least 4 qaug methods and I'm trying them all to figure out which one I like best. Toying with a long arm purchase, but can't justify the price.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:31 PM

I do FMQ on my Pfaff. I got the best information on how to manage this form leah Day's site. daystyledesigns.com The largest so far was an 80 X 80 for my son. I am really pleased to be able to do my own quilting. (i'm not concerned with doing show quilts, just "love quilts".
Old 03-15-2011, 02:39 PM

I'm new at quilting but have quilted 1 king and 2 crib quilts using my home machine and ready to quilt a queen next. I am not very good at it yet but hope to get better as I go along.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:53 PM

I'm practicing on my espire. Hope to do my first on my quilt for the groomers soldier son at my work. I am going to surprise her
Old 03-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Banned

I do all my own quilting on my home machine. My quilts range from table toppers to queen size quilts. I have an Elna 7200 and it has a wider harp than many home machines. But I've also quilted a queen size quilt on my Elna 6300 with no problems. It's all in the "puddling" of the quilt while your'e quilting. If you try the roll method, you'll struggle.