Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine? >

How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

Old 03-16-2011, 01:25 AM

I quilt on my Bernina 830 and 730 with quilts as large as king size and I am happy with the results I am now doing quilting in the hoop with the embroidery module so all I can say is give it a go
Old 03-16-2011, 01:32 AM

I use my S Viking and love it. I just got a used Handi Quilter frame to use with it but don't have it set up yet. I can't find a manual on how to set it up. But I am still looking, going to go buy a table today
Old 03-16-2011, 01:42 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Patchworkmarion
I do with my Janome 66P.Have taken lots of classes,but it all comes down to PRACTISE.The more your try the better you get.Good luck.
I have this machine too and agree that the keyword is PRACTICE!!! So many ppl expect to be able to sit down and FMQ just like that and I see ppl on here posting that so and so is 'lucky to be able to FMQ' - it's not luck, it's putting in the work! I mostly do small art quilts and hangings, up to about 5' square but have and can do bigger through my Janome's 9" harp.

If you plan the quilting right, you can do any size you like in one piece. Katrine is one of the best ppl I know for this - look at her 'Starstruck' http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-62514-1.htm - all done on her Janome 6600 in her teeny tiny sewing room! I know because I've been there!

Now I'd love an LA one day, when I can afford it, but for now, I'm happy with my Janome. :-D
Old 03-16-2011, 02:00 AM

I use my Bernina to do an easy meandering on quilts up to sofa size Or stipple on wall hangings. Bed quilts go to a LA quilter.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:07 AM

Hand quilting now, but want to move to quilting with my regular machine. Have to find the time.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:24 AM

I've read all the posts and the one thing no one mentions is the traditional quilting challange of hand quilting. I use my sewing machine only for pieacing. The quilting I do by hand. I know it's a long process but gives more personal satifaction and pride in your perfect stitches. I don't admire machine quilted quilts. They may be pretty but to me they have no soul.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:35 AM

I do my own quilting on my Brother Sewing Machine but you do need to pratice on small things first. I do up to a queen size at my diningroom table.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:44 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by EverNow
I've read all the posts and the one thing no one mentions is the traditional quilting challange of hand quilting. I use my sewing machine only for pieacing. The quilting I do by hand. I know it's a long process but gives more personal satifaction and pride in your perfect stitches. I don't admire machine quilted quilts. They may be pretty but to me they have no soul.
I can and do hand quilt - in fact that was how I started quilting. I was responding to the question asked by the author of this thread... Sometimes I even combine both hand and machine quilting on the same piece. I don't agree that one has more 'soul' than the other. I have heard ppl apply this same criticism to machine piecing. I'm sorry but your comment is insulting to the many immensely talented freehand machine quilters on here, both by domestic machine and long arm. :-)
Old 03-16-2011, 04:05 AM

What pfaff do you have? I am looking for a good machine that I can quilt on.
Sue in Va
Old 03-16-2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I use a Viking Rose with a walking foot.
me too...along with my longarm...beautiful machine