Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you quilt your own quilts? >

How many of you quilt your own quilts?

How many of you quilt your own quilts?

Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 AM

I'm just curious- because I love every aspect of quilt making-from planning, choosing and buying fabrics, and piecing. But my most favorite part is quilting! I can't wait to get the top finished (although I HATE the sandwiching part!) and get started FM quilting it! How many of you quilt your own quilts? And what's your favorite part of the quilt process?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 AM

I love picking the fabrics, hate cutting them out, love sewing them, I get giddy when it all comes together and I have a finished project!!
I only quilt little things, place mats to baby quilts, the rest I send out, she does a much better job!! :lol:
Old 02-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

I quilt most of my own. I have only sent out 2 of mine. But- I used to hand quilt exclusively (which I love) but I'm trying to learn MQ so I can get more done.
I will always love hand quilting though. It just takes soooooo looooong!!
I've been inspired by all of the gorgeous MQ here so I'm taking the plunge :D:D
Old 02-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Banned

I do quilt my own. I have a long arm that I love running. But I really like to FMQ on my regular machine also. My favorite part of both types is selecting the design that I'll use and choosing the thread that compliments the top.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

I do but as the quilts get bigger I loose the joy of quilting it myself. Many of the quilts I make are very large extra long twins and Cal King. I would realy like a long arm. As for the part I like is designing the quilt lines, getting done and washing it up. Maybe if it was physically not as strenuous I could enjoy the actual quilting again. I do have lots of fun with baby and lap quilts.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:29 AM

I'm new to quilting (about 9 months now) but I have quilted every project I've completed. Starting out just doing SnD, and then I was able to get a Mega Quilter (9in throat space) and quilt them on a frame with a Q-Bot.

So when I say "I" quilt them, it's really the computer, but I still have to line up the pattern etc.

One of these days I will get the courage to try and free hand something. But I need to get some muslin and practice, practice, practice! :)

I like seeing the process from beginning to end. Just the way I am though. :)
Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 AM

Quilt my own, either by tie method or hand quilt.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:45 AM

I've never sent one out for quilting. I tied them or did a quilt as you go method before getting my machine quilting frame.

I love the design process, choosing fabrics, piecing the blocks, assembling the top and putting the binding on.

I usually enjoy the math of figuring out quilt sizes, blocks & pieced backing if I don't get interrupted too often.

Pressing & starching are kind of mind-numbing but I don't really enjoy or hate it. It's kind of an auto pilot thing--do it and move on.

I don't like cutting very much so I usually do it in stages--cut some, piece some, cut some more, piece some more, etc.

I hate cutting the pieces out for piecing the backs even though I enjoy the math to figure out how to do it. Making those long, straight (hopefully) cuts is nerve wracking.

Wrestling with a large quilt when turning the corners while binding is a pain as is trimming the batting. Loading it all on the frame is also an unpleasant task because of the posture to pin it all on. I have shoulder & neck problems so these steps wear me out.

Hand sewing the binding is also painful so I quit doing that. I enjoy it but my shoulder doesn't. I would still do it if I were for a special quilt but most of mine are made to use & abuse.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

me. i have only had two qlts done by someone with a long arm machine. about four years ago. one still needs binding!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 AM

I quilt my own. I think that the quilting can make or break a quilt and is just as much a part of the design process and picking the pattern or fabric. I want to be able to say that I made the quilt.

The last quilt I finished I stitched in the ditch and then tied the center of the blocks. Nothing too fancy but it fit the top.