Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you... >

How many of you...

How many of you...

Old 11-09-2014, 03:31 AM

If a quilt is meant as a gift, I do not hesitate tot send it out. I am blessed to have a friend who does LAQ very beautifully and, in my opinion, very inexpensively. I have been working to hone my skills on my sewing machine, but I doubt that I could ever do such quilting as my friend does. I love the cutting and piecing very much, but I, too, dread having to wrestle with a large quilt through a sewing machine.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:38 AM

Have done them all myself on my vintage Singer machines. (tied one that needed to be done quickly). Money was the factor when I started, and my piecing skills were not very good to start with; would not have felt they deserved a longarmed quilting treatment. It's very satisfying to see my piecing and fmq skills get better with each project. I was so excited about quilting my 1st quilt and remember feeling that had truly made me a "quilter" in every sense of the word.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:03 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
I raised my own children and I quilt my own quilts.

Just me, but I could never claim to have made a quilt if part of it was done by someone else.
I think that is how I feel also. My hubby does cut most of my fabric for me and I try to give him credit
when giving a quilt as a gift.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:31 AM

Nothing fancy, but I do my own. I have a Voyager 17 and a Hinterberg frame. Got them when I realized there was no way I was ever going to be good at FM quilting.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:49 AM

I sent a few of my first ones out, but cannot afford it now that I am retired. Now I tie, dosimple machine quilting on lap size or smaller, or hand quilt. The hand quilting is not great, but getting better and i enjoy hand work.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Mine are all done by me. I've thought many times about sending the larger ones out, but cannot afford it, and I feel it would be a little less from me also.
Me too. If I did send one out I would feel it's not my own work anymore. I am only just considering doing a QAYG, before it sort of felt 'wrong'.....not a 'proper' quilt. This is not meant to sound judgemental, it's just how I feel about stuff I make.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:57 AM

I have always quilted my own. Hand quilting, on the domestic and now on my longarm. If I didn't own a longarm and I had a large quilt I might send it out. I hated basting a quilt together to quilt on my domestic. I have done queen size quilts on my domestic though. It is hard work and this old achy body doesn't like it.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:00 AM

Life is to darned short to waste your precious time on parts of a hobby that do not give you any pleasure.
I am a beginning quilter but I do really enjoy that final quilting so I do it myself. It is far from perfect but why let someone else have all of the fun. :-)
Old 11-09-2014, 05:06 AM

Quilting is my hobby which I started when I retired. I quilt my own because it is MY hobby and I choose to take it to the finish. I will never be an award winning quilter but I will leave a part of me behind. It I good to have the choice to do what is best for us as individuals.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:11 AM

I am an experienced beginner and send out quilts that are meant to be special gifts. No matter how good my top looks, the lady who does the LA work makes it look amazing. I do smaller quilts on my DSM, usually a crosshatch pattern, or SITD. I wish I had a binder, my hands can't do what they used to!