Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you... >

How many of you...

How many of you...

Old 11-09-2014, 06:48 AM

I do my own for several reasons...Cost of materials are so high that I would never beable to do as many as I do if I had to pay someone. When I did give a few away that were quilted they are Wow did you do this - the design of the FMQ'ing...I felt odd that I did not...and then my hubby wanted one but wanted me to FMQ it. I said I could not in my sewing machine so he bought me a 7700 so I could...so since then I have done my own. It has paid for its self...
Old 11-09-2014, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

The ones I send out I say _______ quilted my quilt.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:58 AM

I have sent out my quilt for a long time, since I could no long hand quilt. I give the quilter credit but still feel as if they are my own as I picked the fabrics, sometimes designed them, cut and pieced it and usually put the binding on., spending way more time on it than a quilter would. A few years ago I bought as small machine and frame so do some on that and also some on my domestic machine. It just depends on what size quilt it is and how I want it to look whether I send it out or try to do it myself.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:13 AM

I do all of my own quilting now, I cannot afford to have someone else to do it for me.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=joe'smom;6960927]I can't afford to send quilts out (but I think I'd prefer to do them myself, even if I could afford it).[/QUOTE

This is my situation but being disable now forces me to make smaller quilt.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
I have been giving myself the luxury of sending every 5th or 6th quilt to the LA quilter. She does a fantastic job and I can afford to do that on special quilts. However, I am getting better at machine quilting on my old vintage Singers and I love to hand quilt in the winter when it is nice and cozy to have the quilt on my lap while I am hand quilting. So, the answer is yes, I do upon occasion give myself the privilege of using my wonderful LA quilter just so she keeps doing it and the cost is worth it for her great talent.
I am in the same category. Some I hand quilt, some I quilt on my Featherweight or my 301A some I tie, and some I send out to my LAQ. Best of all worlds..
Old 11-09-2014, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by busy fingers View Post
I always do my own quilting. Far from a professional job but I would not think of it as my quilt if someone else did the quilting. Also I am a bit of a control freak and like to have the final say.

That is just my opinion and not necessarily right.

Ditto! This is just the way I feel.....plus....I don't know any LA and I know they must charge an arm and a leg.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:33 AM

Have sent only one out to be quilted the rest I hand quilt myself.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:47 AM

I have sent several Queen size out to be quilted but it really is to pricey for me. I have had to stopmakn the large quilts and no do all my own quilting......which is SID or meandering o FMQ. Wish LAQ were affordable for me.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:47 AM

I do some myself and send some out -- I'm in the process of reducing my UFO stack so right now I'm sending one out each month for quilting. Sometimes it depends what is on the to-do list.