Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you... >

How many of you...

How many of you...

Old 11-09-2014, 11:31 AM

Amen! I so agree with that. And I tell everyone that any mistakes they see are just a lot of love from me to them.
Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
I raised my own children and I quilt my own quilts.

Just me, but I could never claim to have made a quilt if part of it was done by someone else.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:35 AM

I do all my own quilting, but I know several professional LA'ers.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:36 AM

I've only completed two quilts so far. Both were quilted by me and I enjoyed the process. The first was done using the feed dogs and stopping and turning at every corner, the second one was FMQ. I'm nowhere near good but I really enjoyed the FMQ work and intend to keep practicing at it.
I do believe that long arm quilters are worth every penny. There's nothing wrong with sending a quilt out. I don't feel it makes the quilt any less yours though if you didn't quilt it you should give credit to the person who did. LAQs can do things I only dream about. If I could afford it I would send a top out to be quilted. Unfortunately even the friends and for a good cause rate is too much money for my budget.
Rodney
Old 11-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

As much as I have been tempted, I really can't afford to send them out, so I do them myself. The one exception was last year's family reunion quilt as my oldest niece and her husband have recently acquired a long arm machine, and since I was having shoulder surgery she offered to quilt it, if I got it to her by April- the family reunion was July 4th. I was unable to go, but I'm sure she did a great job, as she and her husband plan to have an established long arm quilting business by the time they retire. I was grateful that she offered, as I know I could not have finished it in time.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:57 AM

I hand quilt all my own quilts.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:43 PM

I do all of my own quilting on my DSM Bernina.
I used to use my walking foot a lot and do a lot of diagonal stitching in a fun or a wavy stitch but now I mostly do an all over FMQ (no stencil or tracing) all over the quilts. Unless it calls for a little more attention to various areas.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 11-09-2014, 02:31 PM

I've helped tie quilts, I've quilted a few myself, but the majority of my quilts I have my friend quilt them on her LA machine. If she needs a quilt for one of her family members, I'll make the top she wants for her, and if she needs one of her customers' binding put on, I'll do that for her. Whenever I show one of my quilts at the guilds, I ALWAYS give her the credit for the quilting!!!!!!!! We work well together.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
I raised my own children and I quilt my own quilts.

Just me, but I could never claim to have made a quilt if part of it was done by someone else.
Not just you.... I completely agree! That is how I feel too.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:47 PM

I send out anything twin or larger. Just need to get them done. I used to do them all myself with SID or tying. My mom has handquilted some for me. I like the piecing, but not the quilting so much.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:33 PM

I can stitch in the ditch on small quilts for my 5 y/o DGS and little pieces, but anything of any size I have to send out. I can't control the weight or motion with anything larger due to lack of mobility of my left hand. That being said, I am fortunate to have two very accomplished LA quilters nearby to work with. :-)