Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you... >

How many of you...

How many of you...

Old 11-09-2014, 07:33 PM

I machine piece and hand quilt all my own quilts.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:39 PM

I just gave this same answer on a different thread. I do all my own work even though I am a much better piecer than quilter. I just am happy if each one is better than the last. I machine quilt mine and I think I have become much better at FMQ, but I'm still learning. I don't think most people look all that closely at quilting stitches, just other quilters. I do it too. I want mine to be 100 percent made by me, so I have to accept the imperfect
Old 11-09-2014, 08:02 PM

Generally, I have quilted all of my pieces. One of my clients commissioned 2 quilts, both king to super king. Those got sent out for quilting & I did the binding after. On the labels I gave the LAQ the 'credit'. The 1 I am currently working on for my sister-in-law I plan to send out since she asked me to do it & pick the pattern. She already has 2 of my quilts but I just want this one to be special.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:09 PM

I quilt my own. For 45 years I have done my own sewing and it wouldn't feel like MY quilt unless I did it all. Just me, I certainly understand why others choose not to quilt theirs.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:49 PM
Power Poster

I have to finish my own or I can't claim them as my own. Just a "thing" I believe.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:55 PM

I tied the first 2 t-shirt quilt and when I really started quilting, I would FMQ on my DSM up to twin size. I rented time on a long arm at a shop and loved it. so when I could I bought a used Gammill. Beside my own projects, I do customer quilts. I don't consider them "my" quilt and my goal is always to compliment the piecing--basically I'm accessorizing the design,fabric,piecing work with my quilt design. While I appreciate credit if the quilt is going to a show, I do not consider it "my" quilt since my design is dependent on the piecer's original work. Several have said that $$ keep them from using long arm services. I totally understand that, especially now that I'm retired, but I suggest you do some checking around. I know that in my area there are long arm quilters that charge as anywhere from less than penny a square inch up to 3-4 centers/sq. inch. It all depends on the density of quilting and complexity of design. Now in my area, hand quilting is what really is pricey! So good to you that are hand quilters
Old 11-09-2014, 11:45 PM

As a beginner, I have only made two quilts, both of which I quilted myself with straight line quilting. I wanted to send the second one to a LA quilter but the high cost put me off. I was very happy with the results of my own quilting and I try to choose patterns that suit straight line quilting.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:24 AM

Most of my quilts are tied. My DML taught me how to and I love how most of them look. Now and I will sew buttons or bow where I would put a tie. I love that look also.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

I do all my quilts - start to finish myself. I like to be able to say I made all my quilts.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:47 AM

I wouldn't think of myself as a quilter if I didn't do them all myself. I think that is the difference between Patchworking and quilting. Here in the UK it is the norm for us to do all the quilting as going out for quilting is expensive and hard to find.