Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you use cutting mat lines when cutting fabric? >

How many of you use cutting mat lines when cutting fabric?

How many of you use cutting mat lines when cutting fabric?

Old 01-20-2011, 07:37 AM

this is what i do to.

Originally Posted by Maggie_1963
I kind of do, but I also use the vertical lines on my ruler and match them up with the vertical lines on the mat, haven't had a problem yet! I have learned to take more time cutting, the more precise it is, the better the work turns out and matches up correctly. I think that is a key to all of quilting is to not rush, sometimes hard for me because I can't wait to see the finale!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:38 AM

I don't use them to measure by, but will sometimes use them to help make sure my fabric is lined up squarely.

Cheers, K
Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 AM

I go by the old rule, measure twice and cut once!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 AM

Yep I use the lines on the mat. I have worn out my share of mats doing this. But its a habit now so ...
Old 01-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

Kinda off topic but still about measuring tools. Did you know a stainless 1 cup dry measuring cup holds more then a plastic one cup dry measure? The stainless cup is considered a baker's measure. It's only the one cup measure the rest are all the same. Weird.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:49 AM
bj

I guess I do both. My mat doesn't have incremental marks between the inch lines, so if I need 2.5, for example, I use the ruler. I always use the mat lines for squaring up a wonky block or making that initial cut at the end to get the ends even. I figure the lines are there for some reason, might as well use them!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Kinda off topic but still about measuring tools. Did you know a stainless 1 cup dry measuring cup holds more then a plastic one cup dry measure? The stainless cup is considered a baker's measure. It's only the one cup measure the rest are all the same. Weird.
There are also cups you should use for measuring dry versus wet ingredients. Fortunately most of what I cook doesn't get too bothered if I'm a smidge over or under, kind of like I can fix dimensions if something ends up a smidge over or under in a block.

Cheers, K
Old 01-20-2011, 08:11 AM

I cut using the ruler...not the lines on the mat. Just easier for me to fold the fab and then lay the ruler down and cut. Hate cutting so the faster I get it done, the sooner I can start sewing~!!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 AM

I try not to use the lines on my mat, because it is so warped in some spots. I just use both sets of lines on my rulers. :)
Old 01-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CorgiNole
I don't use them to measure by, but will sometimes use them to help make sure my fabric is lined up squarely.

Cheers, K
This is what I do too. I always use my ruler to measure unless the cut needs to be bigger then my longest ruler. Then I use my mat up to 36". I use my mat to square up but use a tape measure to measure out the cut if it is longer then 36" and I measure at least 3 times before making the cut.