Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of your husbands join in on your hobbies?

My DH has his hobbies and I have mine. His is hunting and his hot rod. Mine are fishing (he can't stand it if they aren't biting) and quilting. I'll help him with his hobby if he needs an extra hand and he'll help me clean fish or point out something wrong in a quilt. But we don't share hobbies and we like it that way. His dad plants a large vegetable garden every year we have to go help work it and pick everything and put it up. I don't mind it, but DH does but he goes and helps me without saying a word. We both work fulltime and vegies don't care if it's a work night or not.
    Sharyl

Just one -- my only husband.

Senior Member cedarvalleyquilts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My husband and I own a quilt shop together. He's the main quilter actually...he does custom longarm quilting and is teaching me to longarm quilt. I piece tops, and he quilts. We both bounce ideas of each other, and it's been a really good arrangement. I've learned a lot from him in this business, and each day is something new to learn. Life is good

Christine

My DH drove 14 hours, round trip, to get me a quilting frame for my Grace quilting frame. He did all sorts od research to buy me a stitch regulator and then bought me a used sewing machine that worked with all the gadgets. This allowed me to have my Horizon free for sewing. He spends more time researching what I need than I ever think of doing. He's into making my hobby perfect!

We have separate hobbies but we support each other. I am into....well, everything, it seems! He sticks with photography and making music.

We're good about cheering each other on - this year I made a goal for myself to enter a quilt into the county fair; so he has given himself a matching challenge - to enter one of his photographs.

I listen to his music which is not really my thing (he makes techno) and give him what feedback I can. He looks at my quilts even though it's not really HIS thing and gives me what feedback he can. He is super proud of the quilt I made for him for Christmas - he tells everyone it's the best quilt he's ever seen, which gives me warm fuzzies! And he has a great eye for color - he picked out the colors for several quilts I made for our family for Christmas and they all turned out great.

He has recently taken up oil painting a little bit (and he's really GOOD at it; a total natural at it) and I'm excited about that because it's something I am into also (and I'm not nearly as good and have been at it longer...SO not fair). I hope he keeps it up because it would be nice if we had at least ONE hobby in common! Even if his paintings make me jealous, LOL.

Blog Entries
    DH recently told me he'd like to learn to quilt & we are looking for a long arm. He just took his first stitches on my new featherweight today. We hope to start a business.

He cooks. He cleans. He does dishes. He does laundry. He does not quilt. BUT he DOES, let me get anything I need for my hobby, and he likes to watch me cut pieces, and put on bindings. He is always telling me how talented I am, and how pretty my quilts are, and this, in it's own way, is helping, because when I am encouraged, it gives me more confidence.

Oh I forgot to mention that he made me a quilt rack. He also bought me a quilt rack. And three years ago when I was wanting to get a new machine, and thought I'd have to save up for about 4 months, he went and got the one I wanted and was already out of the store by the time my sister and I pulled into the parking lot.
    Last edited by Boston1954; 05-05-2013 at 08:28 PM.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Jim
    I am the husband. My wife and I have always done things together. I piece tops, she quilts them. We shop for fabric together, belong to the same clubs and garden together. We have a few things that we do on our own but very few. It must work for us because we will celebrate our 39th Anniversary in July. We have only spent 2 nights in 39 yrs apart.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

lol, my hubby doesn't have a clue. When he gets home from work, he eats, takes shower and watches tv. Right now it's baseball, baseball, baseball. I have taught him to wash his own clothes and clean the kitchen. Oh, it's his job to pick up the grandkids toys when he gets home. He is not electrically, mechanically, or anykind of ally incline. lol Oh, he does know how to cut grass and I've recently got him to do the grocery shopping now.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    Just one -- my only husband.
    Too funny. It took me a minute.....

We've been married 38 yrs. Good things happened when we became empty nesters - we found more time for each other. My honey likes to go with me on my errands, but he stays in the car at the fabric stores. I just took up quilting again a little over a year ago and have spent a lot of money getting set up. Even though I bring in a good salary, I feel like the fun money has been lopsided in my direction. He has encouraged me because he sees the joy it brings to me.

I would love to see him find a hobby he enjoys as much (or join me in mine).

Blog Entries
    I'm nota married with no partner etc. but I know how supportive and knowledgable your husbands are. I go to one shop with a coffee area where after driving over I go. My passengers go running off shopping I sit with the husbands and find out all the projects their wives are doing. Where next they will be going. They are great. When a wife comes over I ask how much longer ie cathedral window will take. How do you know husband told me . Didn't know he knew .
    I also have 2 nephews who have fantastic colour sense and combinations. ( my brother their father hopeless with colour but he does know how to use a serger, sewing machine and knits and hand sew if he has to)
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    My husband doesn't quilt but he goes to all the quilt shows with me, he enjoys them. He also goes on the East Tennessee Shop hop with me and participates. He will go fabric shopping with me, but I have to stay within a budget when I buy fabric.

My husband wants me to golf. I told him when he spends a day( equal to 18 holes ) with me sewing, scrapbooking etc. I will golf. So far I am safe!!!

My DH enjoys seeing what I am doing but would rather do his own thing(s). At one point he did arrange for me to teach a smocking class at the hobby shop where he was teaching a leather craft class. We sometimes share the dining room table as joint workspace for cutting etc. I make sure all my stuff is out of the way if he is going to be dyeing a project though!

That is great. You are lucky

My husband supports every hobby I have. Now that he is semi-retired, he joins me when I go fabric shopping, but sits in the "husband's chair" that some shops furnish and reads or visits. Sew? never! But we had friends that the husband did great cross-stitching and she quilted the finished quilts. They worked well together.

Blog Entries
    My husband watches me for hours. So does my daughters but none offer to help. If I need to ask questions there their to help. In some ways it is wonderful others not so.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Blog Entries
    My husband is taking a Floriani embroidery course with me at the end of the month. I make veils for a living and he is the one who does the cutting -- much more accurate than me!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

In our situation we share space! My husband is a model railroader-so I have a layout around two sides of the room I sew in. He is an enabler in several ways. He built my sewing station. He looked at pictures of commercial sewing centers and then drew plans to include all the features I liked such as a drop down shelf so that my machine is level with the desk top space behind and to the left of the machine. I have a pull out ironing board when I am in the piecing stage. I have space for my serger; however, I also use that space for my laptop. He is willing to spend more money on my hobby than I am. Last Friday he drove three quilting friends and me to a quilt show in Denver-he and another husband spent five hours looking at old cars while we enjoyed the show. He does go to shows with me but he sees them much faster than I want to! We enjoy our shared space.

My husband did come up with the idea for the long arm quilting machine. So he has joined me with my quilts, but I sew the quilt tops together and put them on the machine and he uses the machine to quilt them. Then I finish our completed projects. I think we do pretty good together.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    As long as he asks what if I'm using something for particular reason he can have at it. He likes to repurpose things and most of the furniture in our house was second hand. We just cleaned it up. He taught me how to sew on a machine. he bought me mine and it was the first one I've ever had. He can do just about anything and I'm just glad he's there.

Blog Entries
    Lisa, my husband does the same, helps me will the numbers, helps me square my quilts
    he really does a lot....he is great...

Blog Entries
    No, and I don't want him to. He golfs, hunts, does woodworking, ATVs, and goes to more football games then I do quilt shows. Those things bore me to death (I've tried them all) as just the word needle bores him. LOL. He will listen when I talk about my quilting, and I listen when he talks about his, that's enough sharing our hobbies with each other.
    Got fabric?

My husband sometimes shops with me. He has a good eye for color. He likes things a bit too matchey for my tastes, but sometimes he gets his choices. We went to a quilt show yesterday. He encouraged me to shop a little!

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    my husband does my cutting. and if i am stuck on layout of pieces, i ask for his opinion, most times he's right.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast