Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How many of your husbands join in on your hobbies?

My husband doesn't do hobbies with me. In the early years we fixed up a few houses together. He loves working and creating teams in the business place. He loved coaching baseball and again creating teams. Excellent at knowing where each person belongs be it the field or office. As our boys grew up, he coached, they played, and I took pictures. Now as the boys are off to college he no longer coaches. But a sale of his business necessitated a new start up so he works long hours. He is always more willing to spend money on my equipment than I am. He is always my greatest fan, whether it is photography, scrapbooking,, sewing, quilting, cooking, painting the house. I stay home and do all the projects, and take care of the bills, house and all, he goes to work, and mows the lawn and snowblows. He is a huge supporter of whatever I endeavor to do, and will give an opinion if I ask, always telling me I can do anything. He gives me far more credit than I give myself!! That's why he makes a great boss and coach. He empowers. I'm definitely keeping him!!

You are so blessed with your mates. I hope you have many more years to enjoy each others company.

My husband has learned how to make embroidery patterns for the embroidery machine.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

In our 64 years of marriage, my husband has taken up several of my needlework interests. Rug hooking way back in the 50's, then needlepoint, followed by counted cross stitch and finally on to quilting for the past 10 years. He has made beautiful quilts for all the great grandchildren. When he monopolized my machine for 2 months, to save our marriage we had to buy him his own machine. He is more artistically talented than I am. His FMQ puts me to shame. He is not well now and blind in one eye, unable to quilt. I'm thinking of selling his machine. I am so proud of what he has done.

My hobbies are quilting, gardening, reading and fireworks. Fireworks is the only thing we both do. We belong to several clubs, some local and one international. We help set up shows, learn how to make shells and different firework effects as well as watch lots of shows.

Blog Entries
    My husband supports me by enabling me to buy what ever fabric or gadget I think I need. He loves going to fabric stores with me but he gets on my nerves sometimes calling to me from across the store "Momma come look at this material" he has the craziest ideas of what a nice design in a fabric is. I love him for standing behind me in what ever I decide I'm going to learn next.

Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    My husband's hobby is work. He loves it. He's a work-a-holic. Me? I'm on this machine-a-holic. But, I'm also busy with other things.
    My DH reads as I do but otherwise he is like yours. A work-a-holic!! HE does occasionally mention my hobbies as being expensive but as I do the books he doesn't say too much!! As long as he has his computer toys and his books we are a happy couple.
    I read, sew, bead, and garden-

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    I love it that we have "my" and "our" hobbies. I think it's important that we both have some "me" time and some "us" time.
    My husband doesn't quilt, but he knows enough to offer an opinion. He is a woodworker, I have my own tools but let him make the furniture. He usually goes into quilt shops without complaint, so when he brings home wood I just admire the grain. He also likes to shoot black powder and does the rondevous in period outfits. I designated one of my vintage machines for his use and he does sew all his own clothes and gear for those events. We do share some interests, both of us rockhounds and I do lapidary so he is interested in doing that. And we are both private pilots so we fly together (but I was first and gave him his first ride).
    Last edited by Skyangel; 05-06-2013 at 09:39 AM.

My hubby's involvement in my hobby is to ignore the credit card bills and piles of fabric and say "How colorful" when I show him a completed top.

Power Poster
    My husband wouldn't dream of even going near a sewing machine, let alone quilt. However, he does offer his opinions on the quilts I make, sometimes whether I ask or not. He has, on occasion, helped me with sandwiching a quilt, but not often. He has his computers and I have my sewing/quilting.

My husband takes me shopping wether I want to go or not..........LOL

He makes sure I have my Visa card, he opens the store door, shoves me in there. I am instructed to take no prisoners, shop till I drop and have a blast.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

My husband doesn't quilt or craft, but he does encourage me. And will give me his honest opinion. I'll ask what he thinks of certain fabric combinations, if I should scallop a border or what he thinks about a certain pattern. Sometimes I take his advise & sometimes I don't. I can't imagine him quilting or sewing with his big hands...lol.

Some of posts have cracked me up!!! Sounds like a lot of you have encouraging spouses! I can not complain.. Mine has been very encouraging from the very beginning!!!!

My husband is a sweet guy and we've been married for 49 years. He's supportive, loves to travel with me so he goes to the quilt shows with me and actually looks at the quilts (doesn't just sit in one of those spouse waiting rooms). He's interested, but not involved. He has no interest in sewing, nor would I particularly want him to have. I have a friend whose husband comes into her room, messes with her things, makes lots of "helpful" comments and generally gets underfoot. She hates it but is too kind to tell him so. I'm really happy with the situation I have

My DH works 2 jobs, the second job at his family's farm. Most weekends, he even stays there. Needless to say, I'm alone alot. He seems to be glad I have something to take up my time. He does change the blade in my rotary cutter.

Blog Entries
    i only have one husband...
    he shows interest, puts in his two cents worth once in a while-
    my sons and nephew are very talented quilters- artists-photographers- so they are the ones to push me forward-challenge me & sometimes help me figure out something.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by alikat110 View Post
    My husband watches from afar and offers words of praise when appropriate. I prefer him to have his own persuits.
    My preference as well.

Gosh aren't we all lucky! Mine is just wonderful, he repairs all the sewing machine for my quilting group that I go to, for a modest fee, as it is a hoppy for him. He repaired and set the quilting frame for the group and them prompty did his first quilting on a frame. Teaching me now, I ge a bit impatient lol. has a good eye for colour combinations, love the few qyuiltung shows that we can go to here in NZ. Fixes all types of machines from the treadle to the top end computer machines. Colects old and unwanted machines from garage salesa and tickles them into working order. Mind that when I have to share my cutting table! Now is thinking of creating a long arm machine from 2 identical older machines, did I mention he is an engineer? And can fix just about everything , if he can't fix it then it broke. Oh and he thinks I am beautiful and has loved ans still loves me for the past 30 years, is he a keeper or what!

Blog Entries
    My husband does all my quilting and not with a long arm. He is very neat and does a great job . I was going to quit quilting because it is so expensive to have it quilted so he bought a pre owned Grace quilt frame and now he loves what he is doing except I cannot make quilts as fast as he gets them quilted/LOL

Mimmy, I'm happy for you that your husband is taking part in a hand project. My husband has just retired from being a cartoonist and I think he plans to try to learn painting. But I don't think he would ever engage in a craft that requires precision. I am a crafter who likes to follow a pattern and he is an artist who could never be bound by exact 1/4 inch anything or cutting 10s or 100s of exact shapes. He is an enabler and he is very supportive. One thing I've noticed on here, we all seem glad that we have our husbands
    jean

He's very supportive, but we keep our hobbies separate. He remodeled our old dining room into a beautiful sewing room, and will do anything I ask him to do, but anything with 'sewing' is not for him.

Oh, I do call him 'the bank' so I guess he helps

We seem to have made it a yearly thing, we spend the day at the Sauder show, about an hour from where we live.
    He knows his spot in the row of chairs set up for 'the husbands,' right under the Masters Category sign (I think the term masters refers to the quilts)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    I wish my Husband were crafty in some way! He just doesn't get enjoyment from it like I do, but he does have his own hobbies so we connect in that respect. I quilt and he is very passionate about baseball. He's coached, umpired, and/or played each year for the past 12 years we've been married!
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    My hubby tries to get involved with ALL of my hobbies! He gets involved on the guise that he's interested, or wants to help, but really he's out to seek and destroy. I'm constantly kicking him out of my business. We used to have 2 gardens, mine and his, but we moved recently and now we're down to one garden again. He needs to find his own space soon...very soon, or the fur's gonna fly! Quilting is great because he knows better than to so much as touch my beloved sewing machine. Even he knows THAT would be going too far.

I DO love him, though.

~ Cindy
    Haha, so funny! I have been asking my hubby if he wants to get involved......we have no shared interests at this point except grandchildren, but he politely declines. I guess yours is the opposite extreme, lol. I should be careful what I wish for right?

Mine participates from afar. He will occasional come to my craft/quilting room but does not want to touch anything. I have encouraged him to make me a card instead of buying one but nope- he says he is all thumbs. Recently, we were out of state and visited a real LQS- wow is what we both said. He enjoyed looking at the fabrics and even commented how gorgeous the fabrics and quilts were. So I think I will just have him participate in my hobby by driving me around LQS. Lol

Blog Entries
    My husband is very supportive of my quilting hobby. He is always ready to take me shopping or to a quilt show, He never complains about how much I spend on fabric. He knows how much enjoyment I get out of it.. He truly likes to make me happy. He is one in a million.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast