Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of your quilts do you keep?

Blog Entries
    99% of the quilts i make go somewhere else-
    the first 5 years i was very actively quilting the quilt that lived on my bed came from Pottery Barn!
    when we moved into our new house i did make one for us- now we have 3- but all the rest go somewhere else
    i gift them, donate them & sell them- i seldom keep one
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I used to think I had to make a quilt for a specific purpose or person. I still give away the majority but do keep some for hubby and I.

I have given over ten away to family members and to babies. But my husband and daughter claim most of them prior to me even thinking about giving them away. Hubby has about three. Daughter has three. I have two that I cannot part with.

so far all except one although I have one I have currently for a friend that I haven't finished and a couple kits for the in-laws that I haven't started. I am so attached to my work. Its like my art to me, hard to give away

I have been making quilts of all sizes since 1975. I give about 90% of them away. I have 3 daughters and 10 grandchildren, they see one in progress and its, Ohh Moma, or Ohh Nanny, then I know what to give them for Christmas or their next Birthday.

The only quilts I have kept are lap size. I keep saying I need to keep a larger one for the house, but I have trouble staying ahead of the grandkids! There is a top hanging over my LA in the shed that I have designated to keep, but if I get in a bind with a graduation or wedding, it will be gone!

Blog Entries
    There is the quilt i made my ds,my db and one for my dd. plus the kitty's quilt, a baby quilt of my ds have saved for whenever he might become a daddy, and the last quilt i helped my dd make for a friend that still needs the clipping of the seam allowances to make it a rag quilt. I have a couple tops done that need backs and some hand sewn grandma flower garden blocks waiting to be put in a quilt for my bed. all other tops have found homes with friends,co-workers,relatives or were made for local church group for charity .

Blog Entries
    I have given all of mine away, with pleasure.
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

Blog Entries
    I lost track a long time ago. I've got some. I've given some as gifts and I've sold some. There are some that I'll never part with. And, there are some that I can't give away! hehehehe!
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Most of mine go somewhere else to live, family, charity, sold, but I have made myself a few also.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

I actually have several quilts that I made and kept! I enjoy touching them and looking at them from time to time. I have gifted many, too, but most of them would not be bed size. If I have put many hours into a quilt such as the Farmer's Wife quilt which has tons of small blocks, I won't give it away, except to my children in the future. Cotton really shows wear when it is loved and used and washed a lot and I do that with most of mine, yet I have to hang on to and baby certain ones. I admit, I'll probably end up with stacks of quilts and gift them to my sweet grands when I'm old(er)!!
    jillnjo

Blog Entries
    I am with you Lori. I have never kept a single one of the quilts that I have made. Nor have I ever kept any quilted wallhangings, pot holders, totebags, nook covers etc either! (oops, I did make myself a quilted purse. It is ratty and tattered and now just hangs in the closet as I haven't made a new one to replace it!) There is always a reason to give it to someone or an occasion that is being celebrated. I did make a promise to myself that I will make a quilt just for me and I have purchased the fabric and have the pattern printed out. Now, if I could just get this darn school thing out of the way, I will have a wonderful quilt to snuggle under!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    About 50% go and 50% stay. I've lost track of how many quilts already and I've only been quilting for less than four years.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

I've kept 4 - 2 wall hangings and 2 throws. All the rest have been gifted to family and charity. Now I am working on a tablecloth and an applique quilt for our bed. Then I think I will have enough!
    Beth in Maryland

I have made over 20 quilts in the past 10 years and not kept a single one. I have sold 3 and gave the rest to family members. I keep thinking that I will make one for myself, but ... oh well, I love to be on the giving end, rather than receiving end. Makes my heart feel good.
    Pam Riggs

I feel horrible for saying this but when I first started quilting, I had a hard time parting with what I made (I am getting a little better), now if I make a quilt with plans to give away to friend, family or charity then I do that, but for the most part I swap out my quilts on my bed. My youngest daughter who lives at home has the most quilts and she cherishes each and every one and takes very good care of them.

All of mine used to go live elsewhere. I sold them. I made them for charities. I gave them to every Tom, Dick, & Harry who came along. I was (IMHO) waaaaaaay too easy... LOL! Then one day I realized all I had to show were pictures I'd taken of all those quilts. And it made me really sad. My DH kept saying "When do we get one for our bed"? We were like the shoemaker's children... LOL! So lately I keep about 1/3 of my quilts. I still make them for my family & close friends (but I've gotten a lot more choosy abut who gets those). I still make them for Project Linus & QOV. And now I make some for us, too -- clutch the pearls!

I think quitters are just generous by nature... perhaps too generous... LOL!

(`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
    Most of mine go off to live other places. I do have a plan to do bed runners though - get a neutral solid comforter for our bed then make runners. I have a book that has patterns for 10 runners - not seasonal, but may use the patterns there and seasonal prints/colors. Neutral curtains. I can see it, but don't know when I'll do it. I think that would be a good way to practice my skills at FMQ without worrying about where the project would end up.

I have a cheery cherry quilt I just love - kept it, making one as a table clothe for kitchen table - I work on the blocks when I'm in between other things, plan to finish my Farmer's Wife Sampler at a retreat in June - will keep that one, but of the 50+ quilts I've made - that's it for me!

CraftyPat - I'm with you. When I finish one that doesn't already have a home I put it on the back of one of two rockers in my living room. If someone seems taken with it - it's theirs! Love that!
    I am SO GLAD you talked about your cheery cherry quilt talbecloth. I have some Log Cabin blocks made with cherry fabric that I made to make into a tablecloth & I need to get on that. THANK YOU for the inspiration!!!!!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by elizajo View Post
    I have always slept under a quilt. Once the grandmother-made quilts were worn out, the first one I made was for my own bed. I only have time to make one large quilt a year, if I'm lucky. After I made a few gift quilts for family, I now need another new quilt for my bed! Lesson learned: don't waste time on complicated quilts that get heavy use.

I would love to have a rotating supply of quilts for each bed in our house. Maybe when I retire I'll have time for that and more gift and charity quilts.
    As I read your post, I thought that was me talking. Growing up, I always slept under a quilt that either one of my Grandmother's or my Mother made. I don't think I could've slept under another kind of blanket back then. The quilts gave me such comfort (especially the scrappies that I could recognize fabrics in).

I also agree with not making complicated patterns. I personally just prefer simple designs (like 9-Patch) & with all the FABULOUS fabrics out there today, my thinking is to let it do the heavy lifting. I think every quilt should have one defining feature -- the pattern or the fabric or the quilting -- but not all 3. Plus, using the neat, simple patterns on the market nowadays (like Yellow Brick Road -- my favorite -- or Turning 20) lets you make more! And more is a good thing when it comes to quilts (& fabric & chocolate).

I, too, want to have a collection of quilts that I can swap out with the seasons/holidays. I actually even have fabric for some of them. Now just to find TIME & get my knee to cooperate!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I don't give any of them away. If they end up somewhere else, that means that the person has bought them. At an average of $350 in costs to make a quilt, it would be a very expensive present to give - with no real idea as to whether it would be valued that much. So that means I keep them as if they were babies, nicely wrapped up or out on display.

My house is full of quilts, and not just on the beds. However, I probably have given away about as many as I have made over the last 29 years. I really do wish that I had started a quilting journal 'way back then. I have no idea how many quilts I have made...probably at least 150 or so?

So far, I have only made quilts for gifts. I have the fabric for a quilt to keep but haven't done anything with it yet. It just seems that there is always another gift to make.

I've been quilting for just over three years and have made about 30 quilts. Four were given to friends. The most recent was a rag quilt made as a prize in a rescue fundraiser. http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24025423

I have kept one Christmas quilt and the rest have gone to Quilts For Kids. Except for the very first one I made. The first was a sampler quilt I made in a beginner class. I gave that one to a shelter for abused women and children. I didn't want to succumb to a desire to keep it so I deliberately made it with children's fabrics.

I don't plan to keep a lot of my quilts but I would like to make one or two more for myself. Mostly, I'm just enjoying the process of selecting fun fabrics for the quilts and recently, I've started doing FMQ on my own DSM.
    Pat

I'm beginning to make more for us. In fact, my big summer project is a new quilt for our bed. I still make my Linus quilts every month and make some for Walter Reed every year. I display a lot of wall hangings inside the house and outside, so I always keep them. We have young grandsons and I'm thinking of making them each a quilt to have when they marry. Think that's a good idea?
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

I keep a lot of my quilts. I have enought to rotate on my bed each month. I do use them as spreads and cover. If someone comes along and really admires them I will give it away. I have quilts hanging all over my house. They are my comfort. I do give several away. I usually do 3-10 a year. I have done several for charity.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast