Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much is 10 fat quarters in yards approximately? >

How much is 10 fat quarters in yards approximately?

How much is 10 fat quarters in yards approximately?

Old 08-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

I love math!!! :D :D :D
Who knew all those years ago, that it would come in handy now for the love of my life, QUILTING! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-21-2009, 06:50 PM

This is nice to be able to ask a question and receive a quick answer and thank you Bearisgray for your reply to my question for you told me something else I didn't know ,witch was what a Skinny Quarter was..
:D
Old 08-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

Actually, I don't know if there is anything called a "skinny" quarter -
but when one asks for a quarter of a yard of fabric at the fabric store - it is 9 inches long by the width of the fabric.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Actually, I don't know if there is anything called a "skinny" quarter -
but when one asks for a quarter of a yard of fabric at the fabric store - it is 9 inches long by the width of the fabric.
Have you been seeing the patterns lately that are calling for FAT EIGHTHS??? I didn't know 36 inches could be divided by eighths ... I think someone is just trying to mess with our minds! LOL
Old 08-21-2009, 09:38 PM

It's just 4.5 inches, for when you need just a little bit. What's worse is when it's cut crooked.

But you know quilter's-----any size piece of fabric is used!
Old 08-21-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by quiltluvr
It's just 4.5 inches, for when you need just a little bit. What's worse is when it's cut crooked.

But you know quilter's-----any size piece of fabric is used!
Yes! I was having fabric cut yesterday and I am watching VERY closely what the clerk was doing to insure that I was getting a FULL yard. Finally, I just gave up, but for crying out loud! If it is crooked on this cut, it is going to be crooked on the next one ... wouldn't it just be easier for everyone if one took the time to be sure there is exactly a yard - - a STRAIGHT yard and even up the cut, than to keep having to fight it and having each customer wonder?
or am I being too simplistic again? LOL
Old 08-21-2009, 10:29 PM

No, I had the same experience at a JoAnn's recently. They stinkin' have a groove to cut straight---which to me is useless. If the cutter cannot lay the fabric straight against the bottom yardstick the cut will be off.

I asked for 5/8 (presumably to get a good 1/2 yard after all is said and done). The previous cut side was off by almost two inches.

But you know, dealing with such "professionals" there, she still had it lined up to the thread on the 5/8 mark.

Now, there's been more discussion about such exact cuts. I don't expect at any time to get more than what I ask for, that's why I get it cut a few inches bigger, pay for the bigger cut, then deal with the "waste" after I take the fabric home, but I also try to keep a watchful eye, especially at that store, so that I'm not shorted "threads" either. I tolerate that store, the CS is just about non-existent, but when I don't have $ for the LQS or find something that works better, that's where I end up unhappily I might add.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ninnie
I love math!!! :D :D :D
Who knew all those years ago, that it would come in handy now for the love of my life, QUILTING! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I feel the same way.

An easy way to remember is that one Fat Quarter is 1/4 of a yard. So 2 FQs is half a yard, 4 FQs is one yard.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:23 AM

Hated Geometry in HS. Thought I would never use it. I really don't have to worry too much about it......married a teacher...a math teacher! :lol:
Old 08-22-2009, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
Hated Geometry in HS. Thought I would never use it. I really don't have to worry too much about it......married a teacher...a math teacher! :lol:
That has almost got be as daunting a union as marrying a dentist! <g>