Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much to charge to teach sewing to someone? >

How much to charge to teach sewing to someone?

How much to charge to teach sewing to someone?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 AM

I think that $20/lesson for a private lesson would be good for someone who can afford it. You can't use the JoAnn's price as that is for a group lesson and the group shares the teacher cost as well as the facilities. Might be good to check with others in the area for the going price for other private lessons. Yours should be priced comparably.

Don't stress over the small things...just enjoy the activity!!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:22 AM

Personally I wouldn't charge anything at all. If you charge her then you're suddenly in business and you'll need to declare that as income. That's way more trouble than it's worth to help somebody out.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:05 AM

It is an awkward situation, especially if it is between friends. Can you make it an "exchange of favors". If she has any talents that you could use, then you could trade your sewing lessons for them. Think garden products, babysitting, painting, washing windows, baked goods, canning, etc. Or maybe she has objects you could use, such as fabric, tools, time in a lake cabin, etc.

Enjoy the lessons!

Dayle
Old 05-24-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Personally I wouldn't charge anything at all. If you charge her then you're suddenly in business and you'll need to declare that as income. That's way more trouble than it's worth to help somebody out.
I agree. I have taught some people to sew and didn't charge them. If they agree to buy the supplies they need, I do it for free. Some people want to learn to sew to save money and I guess I feel I am helping them out.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
I agree. I have taught some people to sew and didn't charge them. If they agree to buy the supplies they need, I do it for free. Some people want to learn to sew to save money and I guess I feel I am helping them out.
I would not charge anyone for lessons here in the large city. Around here one (yes, only one) lesson is about 100 dollars-or more if you add the required fabric, thread, etc. for the lesson. That is really serious price gouging if you ask me. Everything is so hyper inflated around here-not just sewing supplies or even learning to sew.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=Daylesewblessed;5240312 If she has any talents that you could use, then you could trade your sewing lessons for them. Think garden products, babysitting, painting, washing windows, baked goods, canning, etc. Or maybe she has objects you could use, such as fabric, tools, time in a lake cabin, etc.

[/QUOTE]

This seems like the best solution. It's always good when people can "scratch each other's backs" so to speak. Good luck... hope the lessons go well for both of you.

Laura
Old 05-25-2012, 03:30 AM

To clarify, she is going to pay so there is no question about that.She is not a friend but could become one later. Once she gets the hang of things she wont be needing me any more. Charging someone to do something does not necessarily make it a business. She wants to pay because she knows it means time. I am happy to do it and told her I will work within her budget.She would not be happy if she did not pay something. I was trying to gage other opinions and from what you are saying ,the amount others quoted, was what I was thinking about. Great minds think alike. LOL Thanks.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:18 AM

I feel the same, I would not charge, would just love to pass on my love of sewing the way my grandma did with me. It would be such fun to me as I don't have any grands old enough yet to teach.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:01 AM

Update"-
We met on Memorial Day and had a 2 hour session. It all went well. I charged her $10 an hour. She will be back this week for another lesson. Her machine was a computerized one which I had to get familiar with . so I gave her one of mine to practice on while I got acquainted with hers. Her young son is interested also. All's well that end well.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

Glad it worked out -

Opinion: This seems to be a 'one size does not fit all' situation.

I do think many people value what they pay for a lot more than a freebie. So it makes sense to me to charge 'something' for the lessons.

I do think where one lives and the general affluence - or lack of - in a given community also makes a difference.

I would be happy to 'donate' lessons to someone that I considered 'poor' or 'down on her luck' at the time that was enthusiastic about the idea of learning how to sew.

Not so happy to 'donate' lessons to someone that had just purchased a top of the line embroidery/sewing machine and all the equipment/toys and was complaining that she was 'only allowed' to spend $1000 a month on her hobbies and crafts.