Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much do I dislike make quilt backs? >

How much do I dislike make quilt backs?

How much do I dislike make quilt backs?

Old 06-05-2014, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
There are so many wonderful wide backing fabrics available now often less expensive than purchasing regular yardage why are you putting yourself through something you dislike so much?
Totally agree with you, thousandsofbolts.com have just increased their range and now have a super selection.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Shoot honey, go to Backsidefabrics.com They are absolutely fantastic--price, service and they will even send you samples. No I am not associated with the company in any way--just a very satisfied customer. I will never again sew together 40 something wide strips to make a queen (or larger) quilt back.
Thanks for sharing this site - beautiful backing fabric! Wondering about their batting - have you tried their brand?
Old 06-05-2014, 04:32 AM

I thought it was just me. I finished two quilt tops in January and have been putting off making the backs. I have been psyching myself up for the last week or so to finish them. I am almost ready to do it.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:52 AM

I agree with you about making the backs but to get exactly what you want you have to go with just regular yardage. Right now I am going shopping to get fabric for the back of my granddaughter's quilt. I want a backing that will be reversible so if they want a change, they can just flip the quilt over. They are using it as a breadspread also. It's for a double bed for a 10 year old and a 2 year old to share. I think the bigger challenge than making the quilt back will be for my daughter to get these two to share a room in harmony. That is quite an age span but space is an issue so that's just the way it will be. As kids we always had to share a bed/room and thought nothing of it. It will be interesting. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone on doing backings. I also machine quilt my own quilts so I have to get down on the floor and baste it too. I'm 69 so that can be interesting - why is it that it is so hard to get back up when you get older or is it just me??????????????????
Old 06-05-2014, 04:54 AM

I don't mind the backing as much since I started tearing my fabric rather than cutting it for the one big long seam. I hated trying to wrestle that much fabric to get it flat and narrow enough by folding it to use my rotary cutter or mark it using scissors. One measurement, one snip on the selvedge and tear it across. I haven't pieced backings yet. Will have to try that sometime.
I used to hate sandwiching too before I started to glue baste because it was so hard not to get wrinkles in the backing. Now I put the bat down first which is less slippery and put the glue on that and then put the backing on top of that spreading it smooth with my hands. No wrinkles and much easier to position.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:28 AM

Another tip I picked up from somewhere is to take the double length of fabric , fold it together right sides together. Start seaming from the fold to the opposite end on one side. Make a very wide seam so you can trim off the selvage once you are done. When the seam is done and the selvage is trimmed, use your rotary cutter to cut off the fold. Then you can open the whole piece and you have a centered seam backing.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:43 AM

Me too, that's why I buy the Wide Quilts backs. Thousand of Bolts, Connecting Threads, Marshall Dry Good, Fabric.com
are just some of the online site that see these at a good price.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:13 AM

I buy the 108" wide fabric unless I want to do a creative back. I wish I would clean out my stash...I organize it, mess it up and then try to clean it up again...
Old 06-05-2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Here is how I piece a quilt back using regular width fabric:
Genius..............one of those, why didn't I think of that moments?! Thanks for the link.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

I can't say that I don't disagree with you. As much as I love quilting, making the tops, quilting them, the part I dislike the most is sandwiching the quilt and making the backing, so I feel your pain. Although I probably would prefer piecing the backing than sandwiching the quilt. There's always something, but maybe I can put together your backings and you could come clean my sewing room. LOL.