Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much do you pay for yearly membership in your quilt guild? >

How much do you pay for yearly membership in your quilt guild?

How much do you pay for yearly membership in your quilt guild?

Old 06-13-2013, 04:57 AM

I am a member of 2 guilds/clubs.

One has about 70 members. We pay $1/month to cover printing the newsletter. At our meetings, we conduct business first, then have show & tell (my favorite part) and then a short lesson by a member.

We have a yearly challenge with a show at our March meeting. That's always a ton of fun! This year, the challenge was to make a tiny quilt for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. Here's a link to our page: http://www.alzquilts.org/nonithquclai.html My quilt is 13,957 Remember When We Met.

At our December meeting, we have our Christmas party, with a fabric exchange, which is a hoot!

We do a raffle quilt and quilt show every other year, the proceeds going to the local women & children's shelter.

Twice a year, we have a Fun Saturday, where we get together to sew and have a carry-in dinner. I have never gone to one of these because Saturday is the only day DH & I have to get errands and home projects done.

We have hosted The Gathering of Quilters two years in a row, and I think we did a bang-up job!

The other club has about a dozen members and has NO dues. They have been around for quite a few years and used to meet at the library. I work at a LQS that opened 5 1/2 years ago, and the meetings are held there now, since my boss is the leader. I'm always working that day, and they made me a member! We start with show & tell and then an explanation of the monthly block instructions. I don't participate in the block project because I don't have time, but I do enjoy the show & tell, if there are no customers in the shop during that segment. Each year we have a Christmas party at a B&B which is wonderful!

I'm really happy with both my clubs. There is a feeling of cameraderie, we appreciate work of all skill levels, and are always learning.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:05 AM

the dues here is $12 even if you join in june you still have to pay $12 then another $12 in Jan. I don't think it is right maybe that is why so far I haven't paid I might wait till Jan. to join
Old 06-13-2013, 05:26 AM

The one here is free, they do pass a bucket for donations, to help pay for the paper, bingo supplies, etc. I went a few times, but haven't been back in almost a year. Have decided to just be a loner!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

Ours is $15 a year.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by dellareya View Post
The guild I belong to just raised the membership fees. Regular fee is $45. Seniors fee is $35. We are a very large guild with over 300 members. We average about 180 at each meeting.
What kind of a facility do you rent for such a large group?I know our guild here has to put a lot out for rent.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:09 AM

I like that your guild requires member to perform a job and make 1 charity quilt a year.

Originally Posted by psumom View Post
Our Guild voted to raise the dues to $36 per year. Otherwise, much time and effort had to be used to raise funds. We used to make a quilt for raffle every-other year. But with the paperwork required to sell chances, the work involved in making the quilt, the expense involved in fabrics and longarm quilting, the time involved in selling chances and collecting the money....it just got to be too much. And, we weren't making much of a profit. Some ladies just paid for the tickets they were supposed to sell because they didn't like "selling"! So, basically, they aren't paying anymore. We also tried nights at restaurants where we got 10% of the sales, and selling car wash tickets. There wasn't much opposition when the dues went from $20 to $36. By the way, our Guild is limited to 50 members, and each member has to perform a job in the Guild as well as make a charity quilt each year to maintain membership.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:10 AM

We have no fees. We take turns doing refreshments and classes. If we do quilts or cause everyone brings fabric and we work on it there and even do some at home.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 AM

I pay 15.00 for the guild I am in now. The one I left had just raised the rate to 25.00. Which in my opinion was way too much for what that guild offered. I love my guild now and think that the rate is too low. Gina
Old 06-13-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by marymay View Post
My guild is 20$ a year. We have so much going on.Quilt Fest is coming sooner then we thought. So worth the money to enjoy the friendship of these ladies. We learn,sew, oh yes and we Talk.
We must be in sister guilds. Mine is getting ready for Quiltfest as well. I am in First Coast, what guild are you in?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
Our dues are $25 a year and we have around 100 members. We have a monthly speaker, an annual quilt show, a raffle quilt that we are encouraged to sell raffle tickets for every year, charity quilts, and a lot of fun. It is definitely worth the $25.

Since guilds are usually non-profit, I don't understand why some have such high dues, especially the big guilds, unless they have to pay a lot for the meeting venue.
Your guild sounds similar to ours so here are some of the costs: rental of the church basement space $100 (that doubled from $50 a few years ago to pay for AC and electricity), $30 for the custodian to set up the chairs and tables, speaker costs anywhere from $200 - $400, insurance $200 per year, tax accountant $325 per year (even though we are a non-profit), expenses for our charity quilts subgroup (have you noticed how expensive batting has become?), etc., etc., etc.