How much fabric do you buy? >

How much fabric do you buy?

How much fabric do you buy?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:43 AM

I'm an MT too. I buy too much fabric.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:43 AM

I try to buy 8 to 10 yrds so i always have some left for my stash
Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 AM

I think for me, it is weather or not it would be a theme for a quilt or just an accent in it...
so, theme ... I would buy at least 2 yds and accent 1/2.. I am on a budget and do quilting on my machine..

Last edited by dahlshouse; 06-25-2012 at 05:19 AM. Reason: adding
Old 06-25-2012, 06:44 AM

If I find a good, good sale (like, at Hobby Lobby, sometimes they will have fabric for $2.00 a yard that started out at 6-7 or more per yard..........if I like it, I usually get whatever is left on the bolt.........the larger amounts are really good to have for the quilt backing...........
Recently, at Wally World, I found some for $1.50 a yard, that had been 6.00 a yard..........and some of it was cute, kid type prints (I do a lOT for Project LINUS)..........so I got all that was left on those bolts..........if I like it, I like it and get all I can..........if i dont really like it, I leave it in the store.
Fortunately, I dont get into the stores to shop very often, so my budget can stand a jolt every once in awhile. I think you need to figure out about how much you can spend each month, then look for bargains that you really like.......and go get some!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:55 AM

I'm green with envy with all the sale prices you guys speak about! Fabric here is so expensive - an average of $17 a metre (39"). Batiks are even more expensive at around $20. My local quilt shop often has a sale, but usually only a third off.
I try to buy as much as I can from eBay US and other suppliers who will ship internationally -enough to fill a priority mail envelope, although I sometimes get hit with Customs import duty - grrrr!
You've probably already guessed I don't have a large stash......
Old 06-25-2012, 01:25 PM

I buy 8 yards if its calling me to take it home, i rather be safe than sorry, my obsession goes back 30-35 years
Old 06-25-2012, 01:56 PM

Unless it is a remnant that calls my name, I will rarely get less than a yard. If I don't have to pinch pennies that trip I'll get at least 3 yards of ones that I really like or that are blenders.
If it's a really good sale and I KNOW I will use it (like soft, thick solid fleece for $3/yd), then for sure I'll get the whole bolt.
I'm learning that I really need to get more of the blenders as they get used in so many different projects. And lately it seems like I get to the second or third one and lo and behold I need more than I have on hand, I'm already over budget, (as always) it's 20+ miles in any direction to a fabric store, I'm low in gas and it's Sunday afternoon...
Old 06-25-2012, 08:50 PM

I was on a shop hop last weekend and saw a nice blue/black flannel that I thought would be perfect to back a guy's quilt. I have 3 guys in my life that I might be making quilts for so I bought what was left on the bolt - 14 yards at $2.98/yd was a great deal.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:08 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Our local Walmart enlarged and rearranged their fabric dept. Hoorah! But it is going to bankrupt me if I don't control myself. LOL Some isn't such good quality but some is really nice. I'm so happy they did that. It is the only source other than online for me in this rural area and at that it is 45 miles one way.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:11 AM

Well, I buy way too much! But I love scrap quilts and machine applique so when I see something I really like an d want to buy on spec I usually only buy one yard. Keep in mind I piece bindings, borders, sashings, backings, almost everything, so I don't need a big amount of fabric.