Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How much of a fabric do you buy

How much of a fabric do you buy

when you are buying for your stash?
    ​Nancy

Power Poster
    ​If I love it but have no idea yet, I buy 2yards. That is long enough for borders or background.

2-3 yards if I really like a focus fabric.

Blog Entries
    Yardage I buy 3 yards of each design I like. If I buy precuts, I've learned to buy at least 6 if charm packs, 2 if layer cakes and 2 if jelly rolls. For backing fabric I buy at least seven yards, enough for a queen size quilt.
    Got fabric?

I will buy 3 to 4 yards sometimes....mostly, I buy too much and my stash just keeps on growing.

Two yards if I really like it. Three if I love love love it.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Although I haven't bought specifically "for stash" yet, I have bought additional prints in a line "to use with this project if I need it." I like having options.
    Having said that, I recently added a couple more fabrics for a Blooming Nine Patch project- 1 yard each, and "while I was in there" (Etsy) I added "a-couple-of-yards-of-this-coordinating-print-just-in-case-I-decide-I-like-it-better-than-one-of-the-others-or-maybe-I-won't-use-it-at-all-on-this-project-but-I-like-it"

That's essentially my stash-building mantra at the moment.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    If I like it, I get one yard. If I love it, 2 yards. If I really love it, 3 yards. Lately, seems like love it and really love it have been winning out. Pre cuts, 2.5 inch strips if roll has 40 strips I buy one. Less than 40 strips I buy 2. Charms I buy three. I haven't bought any layer cakes yet, but I think one would be enough.
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Depends on how mudh I like it. Probably 2 - 4 yards.

I would do 3 because a lot of patters call for over 2yds so you don't want to be short. I would get more if you envision using it in borders as well like 4-5yds
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

Depending on how good the sale is 3-5 yds

I guess it kind of depends. Yesterday I bought 3 one yard cuts from the Stonehenge Valentine line, 5 yards of a Riley Blake floral, 2 yards of a Riley Blake coordinate, and 2 yards of a Me & My Sister flower print. I'll probably use the Stonehenge line for a table runner. The two Riley Blake prints will probably end up in a lap to twin size quilt and the Me & My sister print will probably end up in several things.

Usually 3 yards unless I think it will be just an accent fabric.

I guess I'm an oddball...I buy a 1/4 yard or just a fat quarter most of the time. I have to LOVE a fabric to buy a few yards and generally when I do, I love it so much & it's SO versatile that I wish I would have purchased the whole bolt. If it's for a specific project, I will buy the amount required and possibly some extra for binding in the same fabric or an additional mini to coordinate with it.
    OVER THE RAINBOW JANE is the name of my Dear Baby Jane----though it should be poor, neglected & may never ever be finished baby jane!
    http://retrofabulous-retro.blogspot.com

Depends on how much is left on a bolt. Sometimes I buy a yard of each in a collection. But if there is like 2 1/4 yds left on a bolt I will buy it.

Lately I have been buying 5/8 yard. I have been making a few take 5 quilts lately. They are so easy to make.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Blog Entries
    depends on what i think i will do with it- if i think it would be good for borders- 3 yards, if i think i may want to use it in multiple projects i may get more (or less) generally when i look at fabrics i love i start seeing the possibilities - projects i may use it for- if i see a table runner- or it going with something i may only get 1/2 a yard---just depends on what i start seeing when i look (& caress) it.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy