Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much fabric should I buy? >

How much fabric should I buy?

How much fabric should I buy?

Old 06-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

If you have a lot of 1-2yd cuts already, maybe go for some 1/2yds for some variety?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:39 PM

I've made several CW repros. But mine turn out to be "scrappy" - I usually stock up on shirtings and neutrals, then decide what the pattern will be which in my quilts usually have a background fabric in which the blocks are laid upon.

I've made a pink background CWR, a green background CWR, etc., and all of these quilts had some sort of star block comprised of a dark color and a shirting neutral set in. Not on purpose, mind you, but that's more or less how it has turned out.

My next quilt will use red as a background and I'm looking for the pattern now. I expect to purchase at least three yards of the red - if not four. I'll use what is left over (if any) for part of the back. This time I think I will use both black and yellow in some way - but that won't require much more than say a couple yards each for which I mostly get fat quarters.

So, three/four yards for the main color and several fat quarters of the accents. I usually do not add borders beyond a usually two or three inch border of the main color and I tend to used the same fabric for binding.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rob
This is a stupid question but....I began collecting civil war, 1800's repro fabric for a future quilt. I have no color scheme in mind nor pattern.

There have been sales online and I have been buying 1, maybe two yards. Is this what you would buy? I fear I will not have enough for the unnamed future project.

I already having hoarding tendencies so I am trying to avoid a large stash but the old fabrics really appeal to me.

Would you buy more than 1 or two yds....just in case?
Rob, I had to giggle at your "hoarding tendencies" b/c they can't be worse than mine!! LOL
I'm also collecting CWF but am buying fat quarters mostly. Have no idea what I'm going to make :mrgreen:
Old 06-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

I'm at the point where the prettiest fabric would not fit in my space. The cupboards are full and unless I use some up, no new will come in.

If you plan to make a scrappy quilt, even fat quarters will yield a block. If you can select a border fabric, I would go for 2-3 yards. Don't hoard yourself into a corner. Y+Also remember that you can piece your backing so you don't necessarily need lots of large pieces.