Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much quilting is too much? >

How much quilting is too much?

How much quilting is too much?

Old 06-09-2016, 02:59 AM

I totally agree with you.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:45 AM

Quilting density is such a personal preference - to each his own.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:35 AM

I like less quilting than more. When excess quilting causes the actual pattern of the top to be lost, that is entirely too much quilting, IMO.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:38 AM

I totally agree with Bree 123-I love the densely quilted look and after washing they felt much softer. This is the reason I stop sending my quilts to the longarmer. She did'nt like densely quilts so she did them the way she wanted. Ever time I brought one said to do it very small ... she didn't
Old 06-09-2016, 05:47 AM

I prefer a soft quilt. I like beautiful feathers and other designs, but the current trend of intense quilting doesn't appeal to me. I have used matchstick quilting on a wallhanging, but it would not feel good as a throw. A whole cloth quilt is beautiful when quilted with an intricate design, but it doesn't need to be taken to the level of completely stiff. My more intensely quilted projects require blocking. I like to wash and immediately use my quilts.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Vicki1212 View Post
I like quilts to be soft and snugly and in my opinion, when a quilt starts feeling hard and the quilting affects the drape then it's been over quilted. I love beautiful, intricate quilting but for me, function is more important.
Ditto! Must be useable and snuggley.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:14 PM

to me making a quilt is a 2 step/2 senses process--the piecing and design are all about color and the quilting is all about texture. I love to play with strong colors and I love to quilt--so for some people, I probaly quilt too densely--that is always a question I ask customers so that they are happy with the level of quilting done. if your LA doesn't ask you about that, then you need to let them know.
Even with dense quilting, I think the 2 most important reasons the quilt may be stiffer (before washing) is the type of bat used and the type of thread--a cotton thread like King Tut is going to feel a lot stiffer and "heavier" than a #50 poly like SoFine with the same density of quilting. Same for color--thread that blends with the fabric doesn't appear as dense while a high contrast thread will always seem more visible and denser.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:30 AM

It's a matter of personal preference. I personally like the fabric design to show and less quilting. I like softer quilts and will never enter a quilt contest-ever.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:42 AM

If I have something with really gorgeous fabric I tend to quilt less, maybe SITD so the fabric doesn't get drowned out.

If my fabric is kind of meh then I'll quilt a lot. The extra quilting can really bring a quilt to life even if it's made from bottom of the barrel scraps.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:10 AM

Default quilting

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
The question is: How much quilting is too much, FOR YOU. Quilting density is in the eye of the beholder. A finished quilt may have not enough quilting for some folks, too much for others and just enough for the maker. The quilting community is made up of folks with different tastes, so for your quilts, just add enough for you, and if you are having your quilts quilted, make sure you convey this info to the quilter. Just remember to read the label on the batting package and follow the manufacturer's instructions for the minimum required.
personally I like very little quilting and my last wall hanging i specified NO feathers. am tired of them