Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much room would you like on the right side of your sewing machine?

How much room would you like on the right side of your sewing machine?

I'm ready to order the formica for the top of my sewing center and looking for opinions. I can have 21 to 34 inches on the right side of the sewing machine. I have a 21" and a 24" cabinet that can be placed there and you can over hang it by 1" - 10" and anything in between. Please let me know what you think. Have picked out white with a sparkle finish and the cabinets are dark. Material should glide over it.

If you are quilting a lot of larger quilts, you want to go with the 34". Now I just quilt small items so I have 24" from Bernina sewing needle.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

My sewing machine will set in the middle of the opening underneath. From the right hand edge of the sewing machine there will be four inches and then the 21" - 34" start. I guess it would really be 25" - 39 from the right hand edge of my sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    OK, I"m confused. Do you want the extra space on the right or the left of the machine? On the right I only need enough room to safely put a water bottle.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

You do not need much room on the right at all. I have about 12 inches from the cabinet from my Mom's old machine. I keep some notions there. You want lots of room to the left and behind if possible for the weight of the quilt.

If you are going to use one of those cabinets then I would go for the bigger one ( always can use the storage space!) but otherwise I only need 6-10 inches for a drink, scissors etc.

Power Poster
    I have the cabinet of my treadle to my right for putting tools on. I only have about 6 inches to the right on my machine table.

I guess I am in the minority, I never seem to have enough room on the right of the machine.

Blog Entries
    I don't use much room on the right. Only for supplies-none of what I'm sewing ever goes to the right side. On the left, however, I need all the space I can get.

Guess I wasn't very clear which is normal for me. It is the right side where you place your pieces to sew together. I have two cabinets for my sewing center and DH will put a top on them with a space 30" between the cabinets so it looks like a desk. With the sewing machine in the center of the opening, I can have from the edge of the right side of the sewing machine to the outside edge of the top 25" to 38" to stack and layout the pieces I am sewing together. I have put together quilt blocks that had 21 units and pieces and I do make king size quilts. The cabinets are considered 29" high so after the top is on it will be the correct height for me to sew on. I also have a third cabinet that will be 36" high for cutting. The top on it will be 60" by 40".

I guess it depends on how you look at your machine. If you are sitting and sewing on your machine the space on they right, you really don't need much space and I personally would stick with the least amount. But then if you use this space to the right for ironing and cutting, etc. while you are sewing then the larger number would be great.

If you are standing in front of your machine and looking at it, then the space on the right would be where you are sewing and the extra space is great because it holds to what you are working on.

Blog Entries
    I just use my cutting table for this. Or the area in front of my machine. I guess in your case I'd make it as big as possible.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    More than I've got!!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I'm mainly wanting space to the left and in back of my machine for supporting quilts for FMQ. Also, like an "L" shape to my left which I have to add by using another table. But, on the other hand, I say get all the "real estate" you can for the set up that works for you!

I'm like the others, thinking little space to the right ... lots to the left and behind.

IF you already knows what works for YOU .... then measure it up and you will have your answer!!
    And more accurately than any of the rest of us will ever guess.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I have 18" and like it, 6" more would be better, BUT not if it meant sacrificing inches on the left.
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Blog Entries
    I would put larger size as I put my ironing board on that side so it doesn't get mixed in with the quilt on the left.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I need about 10" on the right and as much as I can get on the left of the machine.

My sewing cabinet only has about 6 inches or so on the right, which is fine for my pins, scissors, whatever I need. I do have a drawer cabinet right next to that which is handy for all the other junk that I like to keep nearby. A bowl with my most used feet, a few other pairs of scissors, my hemostat, ripper, small ruler - marker etc. I don't need that space for actual sewing - that is all to my left.

I have about 6 inches on the base table, but then I have a little piece which is about another 6 inches,that flips up, so 1 foot all together. I use it for my drink, my pins, my notion carrier, scissors and any sewn but waiting to be pressed pieces that I've clipped off my chain.

On on the left I have a lot of space. When I pull out the top drawer I can cover it with anither piece made for that purpose so I'm essentially sitting inside an "L" to sew. This gives me lots of space to spread out whatever im working on. I also have a lot of space behind,the machine because another wing in back flips up.

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    I need about 10" on the right and as much as I can get on the left of the machine.
    Me too. I keep my oil,threads,bobbins,screwdriver,pin cushion, etc. on the right. I would like more room on the left, back and side. I use one of two 9" throat machines to quilt on.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I don't put my pieces on my right side...but I'm left handed so I don't know if that makes a difference. On my right side I put my drink, trash, and all my goodies that I need, like scissors, pens, tweezers, etc in an acrylic thingy DH brought home from work. It's divided and graduated. It has 4 holders on each row (2 rows). I think it used to hold beefjerky or something...lol. Who cares it works!
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Power Poster
    I also like the idea of space on the right to put the unsewn pieces on.

I would say at least a foot to the right, enough space for scissors, a package or pin cushion of pins, and stuff like that. Your 21-34" should be great. As long as you have the drawers underneath, that should be enough storage for you. I have a set of drawers that were designed to hold stuff like letterhead and carbon paper, so they're the size of a sheet of paper and a little more than 1" deep. I use them to hold buttons, zippers, transfer paper, bobbins.
    So, I would use one of the cabinets, and overhang by an inch or so. You want more space to the left of the sewing machine, to hold the weight of the quilts you're making.
    Sue Wilson

I'd like a big U with 6' on left for cutting, 6' for table/machine, 6' on right for ironing and whatever/

Read your title "How much room would you LIKE on the right side of your sewing machine?"
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast