Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much >

How much

How much

Old 07-04-2011, 02:19 PM

I used to buy big pieces, but the older I get, the less I buy. I have lots in my stash, BTW. I have just been buying half yards or fat quarters. Although I recently bought the whole bolt of some Hawaiian fabric because DH wanted a shirt and I wanted a long dress out of it.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching
Sauders sounds like a great place buterflywing...I did find an address and if you page down there is a nice long critique of what they stock and other good info.
Wish I lived closer though.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sauders-fabrics-denver
i know that site. i've even called that phone number. they always say they don't know when the next sale will be. if anyone lives near there, i wish they'd stop in and ask the manager.

it's an amazing place. when they run the sale, trucks (yes, trucks!) back up to the loading dock and they unload hundreds of bolts. they won't measure and cut - you have to buy the entire bolt, but it's worth it. all quilt quality.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:40 PM

no less then 2 yards, prefer 3yds.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by arizonagirl
Am I the only one that collects FQ's? I do also buy anywhere from 1 to 3 yards of fabric. I have a lot of FQ"s also.
Hi, long lost sister. Don't know what it is but I really like them. I think it started out with me not being able to afford yardage. If I purchased a fat quarter then I felt like I had something to work with. I am doing the BOM "Houses" and "Stars" I use quite a few for those. I don't want to tell you how many I have. There are so many blocks where we can use then that I don't really feel too bad. I have been really good and not getting any the last couple of times that I have gone to the store. It seems like the only way I can be sure that I don't but any is just not look at them. Well we all have to do what we have to do, right? I also have eight tubs of 1,2, and 3 yards. I still need blenders, tone on tone, and pastels. Does it ever stop? BrendaK
Old 07-05-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
The one mistake that I made when buying stash was purchasing too many focus fabrics and not nearly enough of the quieter blender type fabrics (tone on tone, mottled or marbled). As a result, I had a lot of fabrics that were very pretty or interesting but didn't go with anything. I also bought too many dark or intense colours and very few lights with no plan for their use. I ended up with a lot of fabric but less would have worked if I had known exactly what to buy. I'd advise only buying that wow fabric when you have a specific quilt and yardage requirements in place. For your stash I'd buy mottly or marbled or small print fabric (1 yard cuts)in all the colours plus some tone on tone cream, white and black for backgrounds. Buy the wow as needed and pull the co-ordinating fabrics and background from your stash.
I agree! Watch overbuying the wow fabrics. Make sure you have plenty of blenders and neutral colors.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:22 PM

I usually get a minimum of 3 yds, especially of a fabric I really like. Sometimes 1 yard cuts are good, but I seem to find when I start to use one, I need more
Old 07-11-2011, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by maryel
I buy at least 2 to 3 yards. {3 yards is better}.
I also buy 3-5 meters( Australian length) so I have enough for one piece borders if I need and still have plenty over for other things. I buy from Bargain Box in Ipswich their fabric is between$10-$25 a meter. Depending on the money I have at the time. I usually save up before I go to the shop.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:08 AM

3+ yards, cuz that's how much you need for a border or an avg 4 color quilt.

I don't buy fat quarters and I don't buy half yards, cuz It's only enough to pizz you off if you actually want to use it.

If I can't afford 3, I get 2 yards.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:01 AM

I like 1/2 yard cuts and fat quarters. Sometimes I buy one yard cuts. I usually wait until I need backing fabric to buy that so I don't have so much money tied up in fabric that I won't use right away.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by arizonagirl
Am I the only one that collects FQ's? I do also buy anywhere from 1 to 3 yards of fabric. I have a lot of FQ"s also.
I do too!! Most of my stash is FQ's. I like my quilts to have many fabrics in them, so I buy small amounts. I usually have a small amount at a time that I can spend, so I don't want to spend it all on one fabric, usually. When I was building my stash I would just look at all the fabrics and colors and buy what I liked in the different colors. Now I have a drawer of pinks, blues, reds, greens, yellow, etc... but mostly small cuts. I usually can tell if the fabric I love will be used as a border, or background and I will buy larger cuts for those. Yes, I have had times when I wished I would have bought more of certain fabrics, but it has always worked out, sometimes I have had to be very creative, but that is a good thing, I think!