Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How much we spend on our hobby

When HGTV quit showing Simply Quilts and refused to do any more quilt shows and there were "tons" of us that petitioned them to air more quilting shows, this is one of the things that I posted them about: how much money was being spent on quilting. But to no avail. That's why I quit watching HGTV and according to ms. board have a lot of other folks. Seemed they thought "us quilters" were not the correct generation for that type of show. Boy, were they mistaken.

Blog Entries
    Gotta have something to do while they are gone!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pippa
    Got the latest Quiltmania mag. today. In it there is an article on the Houston International Quilt festival which quotes from the 2010 Quilting in America survey and says that there are 21.3 million Americans "playing with bits of fabric" and that in 2009 they spent 3600 million dollars on fabrics, books, sewing machines and notions!

Here comes the stinger: "This is much, much more than their golfing, hunting and fishing partners spend put together"

I always thought that his hobby (photography/vintage cameras) was more expensive than mine. I will have to find another justification LOL
    Pippa
    When you calculate it out though it is 169 per person per year--that's less than 15 dollars per month so it really is not that much when you consider how much joy you get making and giving these gifts of love.

Oh, I don't spend anywhere near what my husband does on his hobby. So if I want some fabric I buy it. If he complains I just show him his paypal account. That shuts him up.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, my other hobby, horses, is way more expensive than my sewing - oops! However, DH is reasonably happy so long as he has his plane.

"playing with....." I don't consider what I do playing.

I can't believe it. My husband's pastime is fishing, from end of March through Thanksgiving, and if you add up all the gas and gear needed to go off-shore safely, and the payments on the boat ...it is a lot of money. BOAT=Bring Out Another Thousand. We justify it because we end up with a couple hundred pounds of cod and haddock every season.

What about country club membership and monthly dues for the golfers? I would agree hunting is low-budget once you get the guns and ammo, as long as all you do is drive out-country for a day. But what if you have go up to northern Canada for bear or moose or whatever?

Hmph!

Blog Entries
    Sheer nonsense!! I'll bet this was written by a man who golfs and has a wife who sews quilts, and her quilting is stopping him from getting that new set of clubs he has been drooling over.

I learned many years ago not to believe everything I read, very little of what I hear, and to take what I see with a grain of salt.

I need glasses to read, need hearing aids to hear much, and can't see well when I have a migraine which starts when I get mad at such drivel!!

So take THAT for your biased article!!

Burn it.

I believe fabric makes up for all the silly people I come in contact with during the week. My hubby thinks the fabric I buy is WAY cheaper than therapy and makes me smile. :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyGardenMom
    That's one statistic I'll never quote to my husband, LOL. :)
    or anyone else....
    how could they actually put that in print...

My husband has motorcycles, and wants lots more. LOL.. that is fine I say.. one bike can cost 1000's of dollars, it takes me years to spend that much. ;0)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    My husband has motorcycles, and wants lots more. LOL.. that is fine I say.. one bike can cost 1000's of dollars, it takes me years to spend that much. ;0)
    tell him only if you get to buy machines that cost the same..since you can make money on those machines, he can't..unless he sells them! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    tell him only if you get to buy machines that cost the same..since you can make money on those machines, he can't..unless he sells them! :lol:
    Good point - fishing and hunting can put food on the table, or produce something you can sell, as can quilts. Golf and bikes and cars won't keep you warm at night, let alone give you a meal!

Blog Entries
    I would definitely never add up the cost of all my sewing things. I do think at times that I have way to much "this or that" but then I do use it up before I get more. I TRY not to buy needless/purposeless items, but realistically it does happen. There are so many hobbies that are more expensive, but this is one that I love and my husband supports me in. :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Good point - fishing and hunting can put food on the table, or produce something you can sell, as can quilts. Golf and bikes and cars won't keep you warm at night, let alone give you a meal!
    that is a good anology! just wish my DH would go hunting instead of just going to the shooting range...

Blog Entries
    That show is the Best of the Best! You can find anything and everything there! I have been going for years and can't wait to go every year! I booked a room 2 weeks after I cam back last year! I take 2 suitcases and seem to be enough as they are never overweight! LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sash
    When HGTV quit showing Simply Quilts and refused to do any more quilt shows and there were "tons" of us that petitioned them to air more quilting shows, this is one of the things that I posted them about: how much money was being spent on quilting. But to no avail. That's why I quit watching HGTV and according to ms. board have a lot of other folks. Seemed they thought "us quilters" were not the correct generation for that type of show. Boy, were they mistaken.
    You, know, you're right. I haven't watched HGTV since they dropped Simply Quilts - there's nothing on there that interests me anymore... and I used to watch quite a few shows there. And what's this about "correct generation"? the women in the local guilds are all ages.

Quote Originally Posted by buckyfan19
    Thats why I am so happy that QB is FREE!! Maybe we should write Pres Obama and tell him how we as a group are keeping the economy going. :)
    :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    It's cheaper than therapy, that's for sure.

Blog Entries
    Not enough, but according to my husband, too much. He will never get why I NEED all the fabric I have been stashing for more than 30 years!

That's okay, I don't understand why he need 3 drills, 5 hammers and 10 saws, either!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pippa
    ...This is much, much more than their golfing, hunting and fishing partners spend put together"

I always thought that his hobby (photography/vintage cameras) was more expensive than mine. I will have to find another justification LOL
    Pippa
    Who needs justification? Quilting produces something, often quilts become family heirlooms in addition to keeping us warm.

bah humbug!!

Blog Entries
    Yeah, do not tell my hubs, and I will make sure I don't buy the magazine.

It costs $10,000.00 pa to belong to one of our golf clubs (they want to keep the 'riff raff' out) so I will quote that price if anyone dare mention the cost of sewing...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast